2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

5 hours ago, damshow said:

Marvin Lewis will be (finally) leaving Cincinnati after the season. Says he wants to explore other opportunities. Gonna be 100% clear here, I doubt there are any other opportunities for a coach with 0 playoff wins in 15 seasons.

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

Back in 2003, Marvin Lewis took over a Bengals team that had only 5 playoff wins in franchise history.

In 2017, after 15 years, Marvin Lewis will leave a Bengals team that has only 5 playoff wins in franchise history

Look, I'm not saying that Marvin Lewis is a great coach, or even a good one, but, unless you remember the Bengals of the 90s, it's hard to see just how well he did there. He obviously plateaued, and is now on the downslide, but Cincinnati really stepped up to fill that Browns shaped hole in the NFL while Cleveland was gone.

19 minutes ago, DMN said:

Look, I'm not saying that Marvin Lewis is a great coach, or even a good one, but, unless you remember the Bengals of the 90s, it's hard to see just how well he did there. He obviously plateaued, and is now on the downslide, but Cincinnati really stepped up to fill that Browns shaped hole in the NFL while Cleveland was gone.

Oh yeah, they were pitiful from about 1990 to 2002. Lewis had a good run for the first part of Dalton's career and there was definitely a season or two where they were the team we all thought was making the leap. It never happened and now that core is aging and it's probably better for everyone to move on.

But, man, 0-7 in the playoffs is almost an impossible mark.

40 minutes ago, damshow said:

Oh yeah, they were pitiful from about 1990 to 2002. Lewis had a good run for the first part of Dalton's career and there was definitely a season or two where they were the team we all thought was making the leap. It never happened and now that core is aging and it's probably better for everyone to move on.

But, man, 0-7 in the playoffs is almost an impossible mark.

I blame Carson Palmer getting his knee destroyed more than anything. Take the Dalton teams with Palmer and I think you have a chance. I think they had a chance the year it happened, really. Not a great chance, but a chance.

Lewis honestly did a lot there, they just never dumped him for the type of coach who could get them over the top, so they never got there. 

• Like 1

Seriously this just sucks.  I'll admit I'm slightly biased because I hate the Pats, but seeing such a great game get marred by a call like that at the end is rotten.

Also, no matter how close this game was - I have no reason to expect a game in January to be as good because the Steelers usually get blown out in Foxboro.  As much as I'd love to see the Jags make a run, I can't see them going into New England and winning either but you could've sold me on them getting past Pittsburgh.  And the Chiefs kinda suck.

This catch rule basically took away any drama the AFC playoffs had.

Pats got very lucky on the incomplete call.  I was a little surprised they took James' TD away.  A win's a win, but this one's not all that satisfying. Just got the lead back with less than a minute to go, and the defense almost coughed it up.  Juju shouldn't be getting 69 yards in a single play, some shit attempts of tackling along the way.  They lucked out on the James pass.  Then again with Rowe beating the ball right towards Harmon for the pick in the endzone.  Defense seriously needs to get it together before the playoffs, before we run up against KC or the Jags.

And I can't believe that as a Pats fan, we have to be worried about the Jaguars.