NFL 2018

Lineker

Really was more like a SubparBowl then Superbowl

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Jesus, I’m glad Edelman won MVP but Pats fans are now declaring him a future Hall of Famer.

No.  Just no.  The dude has a remarkable story, but his numbers are not even remotely in the same stratosphere as WRs currently in the HOF.

Well he is 2nd all time in postseason yardage

18 minutes ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

That’s not even remotely close to closing the gap.

You know who wasn’t even a HOF finalist this year?  Torry Holt who has 8,000 yards and 44 more TDs than Edelman while rarely getting the chance to even play in the postseason.

I'm not agreeing he is a HoFer.  I'm actually more on your side that he isn't.  He does have that one standout stat though

Looks like sleeping through this was the right choice.

I've been an NFL fan for 10 years now. Patriots have been to the Super Bowl in 5 of those years, and the first Super Bowl I watched had them in a year before I got into the sport properly. Can Brady and Belichick just go away?

I'm so tired of the group that thinks scoring is the only way to have a good football game. Fuck that, both of those defenses played their asses off. The break-up of the near TD to Cooks was just an amazing defensive play.

Bill Belicheck vs Sean McVay and Wade Phillips vs Josh McDaniels were great match-ups. This is the type of game I'm going to love to see get broken down because you'll get to see the strategy and adjustment.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, DMN said:

I'm so tired of the group that thinks scoring is the only way to have a good football game. Fuck that, both of those defenses played their asses off. The break-up of the near TD to Cooks was just an amazing defensive play.

Bill Belicheck vs Sean McVay and Wade Phillips vs Josh McDaniels were great match-ups. This is the type of game I'm going to love to see get broken down because you'll get to see the strategy and adjustment.

Good point. Yeah, the Rams lost, but they held the Patriots to 13 points. Any coach would kill for a defense like that. The one interesting defensive tidbit I read is that during the regular season, the Pats played man coverage 62% of the time. In the Super Bowl, they ran a zone 90% of the time, basically throwing off any prep that Goff had done. 

I thought that at the end, there was just horrible clock management on the part of the Rams, taking their time etc on that last drive. Let's say that they got that field goal off. Okay, well, now you have less than 8 seconds to recover on onside kick and take a hail mary. Burned up way too much time. 

I've never really been a fan of high scoring games. I grew up with the Bucs defense, and even before they got Tony Dungy, Monte Kiffin and a decent chunk of All-Pros/HoFers (Lynch and Barber will go in),  I was still a fan of a solid defense over an explosive offense. In the '99-00 season, there was a lot of vindication for me when the Bucs played the Rams in the NFC championship, because they stopped the Greatest Show on Turf. 

That said...I'm glad that the Patriots won. I grew up hearing about all these great players, coaches, games, teams and dynasties, and to actually see one happening in this day and age is amazing. I want to see NFL history. I want to see players and coaches that you could make a solid, unbiased case for them being the greatest. 

Bad points from the game: The commercials mostly sucked, and so did the Half Time show :shifty: . 

I enjoy a well-played defensive struggle but I felt like there were stretches in that game where the offenses looked inept rather than the defenses playing great.  Especially the Rams.  Goff missed some wide open throws and that interception when they were on the verge of trying it was such a horribly thrown ball.  He looked like the stage was simply too big for him.

Worst QB performance I've seen since Kerry Collins against the 2000 Ravens, and at least he was going up against a top three single season defense of all time.

Goff did play pretty badly. The McCourty play on Cooks doesn't happen if he makes that throw on time (and probably doesn't happen if Patrick Chung doesn't get hurt), and he missed some stuff over the middle. Not changing things up when you saw the Patriots running zone is on McVay, he got out coached. Rams defense just ran out of gas at the end, they needed help from their offense and never got it.

Sean McVay failed to adjust to what New England was doing. The Rams defense did better than was expected, but the offense really let them down. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Worst QB performance I've seen since Kerry Collins against the 2000 Ravens, and at least he was going up against a top three single season defense of all time.

What about Rich Gannon? :pervert: 

Ah Rich Gannon, I always forget about him.  It's so weird that he and Flacco are the only exceptions to the AFC being represented by Brady, Manning, or Roethlisberger since 2001.

6 minutes ago, DMN said:

Sean McVay failed to adjust to what New England was doing. The Rams defense did better than was expected, but the offense really let them down. 

Yeah he did a brutal job.  While I have nothing against the Rams I do have to admit I take a small sense of delight in McVay losing just because of the ridiculous hype around him.  While it's not his fault that franchises are run by idiots, he's almost single-handedly caused most of the league to only target young offensive-minded head coaches.  Emphasis on young too, you don't see anyone slapping the "offensive genius" label on Eric Bieniemy who Mahomes regularly heaps credit upon for his game-planning.

You could definitely tell the experience level of both teams. Props to McVay and Goff for getting that far but going up against the greatest coach/QB perhaps ever, they just didn't stand a chance.

I'm sure most people were like me, screaming at the Rams to adjust to the Patriots defense, while realizing that going zone against the Patriots, Edleman was having a field day. If the Patriota were focused more on passing instead of running the ball in the first 3 quarters, this game would have been a blow out.

One of the things that really hurt the Rams though is that Goff really looked like he didn't know how to handle the Patriots pressure, no pocket awareness, no plan to deal with it, he just dropped back, the pats got through, and he kind of just waited to get sacked.