NFL 2018

Lineker

Refs just gave the Patriots a huge gift of a first down

• Admin

Former Vikings defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd is filing a $180 million lawsuit against surgeon Dr. James Andrews and the Andrews Institute for Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine, alleging he suffered permanent nerve and muscle damage following a knee procedure in September 2016.

The lawsuit was announced in a statement by Floyd's lawyer Brad Sohn that was obtained by NFL Network's Mike Garafolo.

"If you break something, you pay for it," Sohn said. "And this lawsuit seeks to hold the parties' responsible who we allege have done so. This guy went in for a routine knee scope and left without his incredibly lucrative career."

The suit alleges Floyd was told he needed arthroscopic knee surgery and that he'd be out for 3-4 weeks. Instead, he underwent a more "significant procedure" and suffered permanent nerve and muscle damage in his right leg that Floyd and his lawyers believe was the result of a negligently administered pain blocker by the Andrews Institute.

Floyd, who was selected No. 23 overall by the Vikings in 2013 NFL Draft, was limited to one game in 2016 and didn't play in 2017. The Vikings didn't re-sign him last offseason.

Fuck Jason Garrett and double fuck Scott Linehan.

I like Amari Cooper, he's better than any WR we could have gotten in the upcoming draft, and he was clearly the best receiver on our team last night.   But trading that 1st round pick for him is going to looking even fucking worse when it ends up being a top 10 pick because our coaching is fucking abysmal.  

• Like 1

Garrett should have been fired already. I've been calling for it for a couple of years now. But the problem is that there aren't a lot of quality candidates out there to replace him. I'd rather stick with Garrett than end up with Hue Jackson, for instance.  And I' agree about Linehan.

Cooper is a damn good WR when he puts the effort in, but I think the team gave up too much for him. He wasn't worth a first round pick. 

Jerry Jones is a perfect example of why owners shouldn't be GMs.

There's tons of friggin' quality candidates out there. NFL owners and general managers just need to realize it's not the Jeff Fisher's of the world that have failed at every stop. Teams need to start infusing fresh blood into their franchises. If you want to continue to sit with Jason Garrett because you're afraid of hiring another bad coach, all you're doing is punting for the next several years, because Garrett is only a "Yes" man, which is why Jerry Jones keeps him around.

But saying there's no quality candidates is short-sighted and completely false. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lineker said:

Former Vikings defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd is filing a $180 million lawsuit against surgeon Dr. James Andrews and the Andrews Institute for Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine, alleging he suffered permanent nerve and muscle damage following a knee procedure in September 2016.

The lawsuit was announced in a statement by Floyd's lawyer Brad Sohn that was obtained by NFL Network's Mike Garafolo.

"If you break something, you pay for it," Sohn said. "And this lawsuit seeks to hold the parties' responsible who we allege have done so. This guy went in for a routine knee scope and left without his incredibly lucrative career."

The suit alleges Floyd was told he needed arthroscopic knee surgery and that he'd be out for 3-4 weeks. Instead, he underwent a more "significant procedure" and suffered permanent nerve and muscle damage in his right leg that Floyd and his lawyers believe was the result of a negligently administered pain blocker by the Andrews Institute.

Floyd, who was selected No. 23 overall by the Vikings in 2013 NFL Draft, was limited to one game in 2016 and didn't play in 2017. The Vikings didn't re-sign him last offseason.

I don't want to sound like I'm against this lawsuit, because if they fucked up his knee then it needs to be made right, but where does that dollar figure come from? Could a player like Floyd expect to make that over his career? It seems high.

6 hours ago, Maxx said:

Fuck Jason Garrett and double fuck Scott Linehan.

I like Amari Cooper, he's better than any WR we could have gotten in the upcoming draft, and he was clearly the best receiver on our team last night.   But trading that 1st round pick for him is going to looking even fucking worse when it ends up being a top 10 pick because our coaching is fucking abysmal.  

With Raider luck, Cooper is going to ball out in Dallas, but just wait for the other shoe to, quite literally, drop. He's an amazing athlete, but his hands aren't as good as you'd like. Like I said, tho, watch that not be an issue in Dallas.

5 hours ago, Meacon said:

There's tons of friggin' quality candidates out there. NFL owners and general managers just need to realize it's not the Jeff Fisher's of the world that have failed at every stop. Teams need to start infusing fresh blood into their franchises. If you want to continue to sit with Jason Garrett because you're afraid of hiring another bad coach, all you're doing is punting for the next several years, because Garrett is only a "Yes" man, which is why Jerry Jones keeps him around.

But saying there's no quality candidates is short-sighted and completely false. 

Funny, I was reading the Broncos subreddit (I'm subbed to all the AFCW teams, they sure do love to talk about the Raiders ;)) and they were comparing VJ to Garrett, with John Elway in Jerry's place. I imagine Cowboys and Broncos fans feel pretty similar with those choices.

Tangent aside, the NFL is AMAZINGLY risk averse. it's one thing to lose, but if you try something different and lose? You will never hear the end of it. That keeps coaches going around, it keeps analytics from being used as much as maybe it should, it keeps the game from progressing in many ways. The NFL is maybe the most risk averse organization I can think of.

6 minutes ago, DMN said:

I don't want to sound like I'm against this lawsuit, because if they fucked up his knee then it needs to be made right, but where does that dollar figure come from? Could a player like Floyd expect to make that over his career? It seems high.

He would aim for the max amount of money any player could make in his career, and $180 million seems right (QBs make that much). Obviously Floyd would never have gotten there, but this gives them a point to work down from to find him a settlement.

7 minutes ago, DMN said:

Tangent aside, the NFL is AMAZINGLY risk averse. it's one thing to lose, but if you try something different and lose? You will never hear the end of it. That keeps coaches going around, it keeps analytics from being used as much as maybe it should, it keeps the game from progressing in many ways. The NFL is maybe the most risk averse organization I can think of.

I can't stress enough how afraid everyone in the NFL is of taking chances. Announcers lose their shit at things like QBs lining up at WR on plays, like it's some magnificent innovation. It's fascinating. And since it's such a closed circle of people the views of the announcers almost directly reflect the views of the front offices.

10 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

He would aim for the max amount of money any player could make in his career, and $180 million seems right (QBs make that much). Obviously Floyd would never have gotten there, but this gives them a point to work down from to find him a settlement.

I can't stress enough how afraid everyone in the NFL is of taking chances. Announcers lose their shit at things like QBs lining up at WR on plays, like it's some magnificent innovation. It's fascinating. And since it's such a closed circle of people the views of the announcers almost directly reflect the views of the front offices.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Football is a pyramid of risk, where, the NFL, at the top, is so afraid of risk that going for a two point conversion was a very big deal until very recently, and high school, where coaches do shit like go for every fourth, always onside kick, never run the ball, and shit more creative than even I know, at the bottom. Out of the four major North American sporting leagues, the NFL teams are definitely the least modern in their approach (as compared to lower levels of the game). Baseball, despite a slavish devotion to tradition, seemingly comes up with a new way to look at the game, or a new meta, every other week, and we can see how the NBA has changed with the Warriors. You rarely see that in the NFL, outside of the pass explosion which has a lot more to do with rules making that meta less risky, which just adds to the argument.

1 minute ago, DMN said:

This conversation just makes me want to see Mike Leach in the NFL. He'd be a great Raider coach.

One problem with a lot of the fun college strategy is that roster sizes are limited in the NFL thanks to the salary cap. So you can't just keep throwing guys out there (Chip Kelly ran into this). Also the players are almost all big and fast, so the advantage some schools have in deploying exciting stuff like the triple option is nonexistent in the NFL except as a gadget play.

That said, someone like Mike Leach with an air-it-out mentality might just manage to make it work in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

One problem with a lot of the fun college strategy is that roster sizes are limited in the NFL thanks to the salary cap. So you can't just keep throwing guys out there (Chip Kelly ran into this). Also the players are almost all big and fast, so the advantage some schools have in deploying exciting stuff like the triple option is nonexistent in the NFL except as a gadget play.

That said, someone like Mike Leach with an air-it-out mentality might just manage to make it work in the NFL.

A lot of NFL passing systems are based off the Air Raid anyway, so Leach would have no problems there, Mesh is a bitch to defend no matter how good you are. I like the way he calls his offense, there's a pass play called and then you audible at the line based on the look of the defense. Now, obviously, NFL defenses, sans Oakland, are much better at disguising what they're doing, but I think there's still some edge to be gained there. His ideas about balance and football philosophy in general are pretty great too.

Mostly I just want the press conferences.