2019 College Football Thread

21 minutes ago, DMN said:

Don't worry, that loss won't matter at the end of the season.

The Bruins are gonna beat both of ya! 🤪

Wouldn't surprise me. Every time I start thinking the Utes are going to become elite and win the Pac-12, they lose to some crappy team. UCLA would fit that bill this year.

1 hour ago, GhostMachine said:

I'm glad Georgia beat Florida. 

Right now, I'm watching Tennessee vs. UAB. UAB was Conference USA's champion last season, so I have a question: Have the Blazers gone downhill that bad since last season, or does Conference USA just suck? So far, the Vols have had 1 fumble recovery and 3 interceptions caught. All 3 interceptions were caught by the same player, Bryce Thompson.

It's college football so last season's success means little to nothing to this years. Just look at Notre Dame quarterback Ian Book. <_<

For real though, if it's not a Clemson/Alabama/Ohio State type thing, teams like Conference USA champs vary every year. UAB was 6-1 after beating Alabama State (FCS), Akron (0-8), South Alabama (1-7), Rice (0-8), UTSA (3-5), and Old Dominion (1-8). And they lost on the road to the one above .500 team they played, Western Kentucky (5-4). So UAB's record was very inflated, and them being the defending CUSA champions has absolutely nothing to do with them getting smoked against an improving, but still not so great against actual Power-5 conference, Volunteers. 

I've always believed that unless a coach is a complete fuck up (turns a team that had a winning record the previous season into hot garbage or drives off a lot of players into transferring) or does something non-football related that deserves giving him the hook, they should be given at least three seasons.

The first season, he's learning things and doesn't have any players he recruited. - If the coach is an assistant or other coach already on the team promoted to the head coach position, this first year goes bye-bye as far as the three years is concerned.

Second season, he's got his first batch of recruits, but most of the team will be players he didn't recruit. 

Third season, he's got a decent amount of players he helped recruit. 

Yeah, I agree 3 or 4 years should be the minimum. And I think it is at MAC type schools. But a school like FSU thinks they're suppose to be in the playoffs every year and until they realize they have to step back and reassess where they are in the college football world at the moment, it's going to be a vicious cycle of coach-in, coach-out. 

4 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Florida State has fired Willie Taggart in the middle of his 2nd year.

A shockingly quick hook given where Jimbo left the program. Apparently their attendance was downright dismal this year though.

Trying to get a jump on USC for coaches. Helton won't last the year, at this rate I'll be surprised if he makes the UCLA game, let alone wins it.

1 minute ago, DMN said:

Trying to get a jump on USC for coaches. Helton won't last the year, at this rate I'll be surprised if he makes the UCLA game, let alone wins it.

Sounds like USC is going Meyer or bust. If FSU has a lick of sense, they're finding out how much it costs to steal PJ Fleck from Minnesota. 

14 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Sounds like USC is going Meyer or bust. If FSU has a lick of sense, they're finding out how much it costs to steal PJ Fleck from Minnesota. 

I don't think Urban is coming out here to save Trojan football, so good luck to them with that. They'll end up with Jack Del Rio and like it.

Cheyenne O'Grady is out at Arkansas. He was suspended for Saturday's loss vs. Mississippi State, and then met with Chad Morris on Sunday. 

On 03/11/2019 at 23:33, damsher hatfield said:

How can Jeff Fisher coach in college if he can't go 8-8?

Relax. He'll be the Dallas Cowboys' next coach. Assuming Jason Garrett doesn't keep the job until Jerry Jones passes away, that is. 

Chase Young is likely facing an indefinite suspension due to something from 2018. Details aren't completely clear. If I'm him I'm almost grateful since he's already a lock for first non-QB drafted this year and risking it all as an unpaid player who can get a massive injury at any time is just not worth it.