2019 College Football Thread

10 hours ago, Carlos Buschtran said:

Alabama is getting into the playoffs just like they always do.

I'm not sure if you're trying to sahyder the situation or not. 😛

Right now we've got

1. LSU
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson 

as our undefeated "locks" as long as they win out, they're in. The only team out of those three that are guaranteed "out" with a loss is Clemson because they don't have any "good" wins. But I also don't think Clemson loses. Say Ohio State loses to Michigan, they'll still finish 11-1 and face (likely) 11-1 Minnesota, which means we'll have a 12-1 Big10 champion. If Utah wins out and beats Oregon in the Pac-12 championship, we'll have a 12-1 Pac-12 Champion Utah. Even if LSU loses, they'll be 11-1 with a win over Alabama, and a chance to beat a likely 11-1 Georgia team.

So no, unless things go to complete shit, which granted could happen, Alabama should and will likely still be on the outside because we're likely ending up with:

1-loss PAC-12 Champion (Utah)
1-loss Big-12 Champion (Oklahoma or Baylor)
Undefeated or one-loss Big-10 Champion (Ohio State most likely)
Undefeated ACC Champion (Clemson)
Undefeated or one-loss SEC Champion (LSU or Georgia)

Alabama won't get in over any of those scenarios. I know there was the scenario two years ago when Alabama didn't win their division but still got in, but that was a year where the only other one-loss team that didn't make the playoffs was a Wisconsin team that beat no one during the year and had just gotten beat by Ohio State in the Big-10 championship.

This is why I haaaaaaaaaate with a passion these pre-playoff rankings. Everybody's knickers get twisted up because of how the rankings stand with several games to go. But if you look at the records and games left to play, you'll see that unless shit hits the fan, Alabama isn't going to the playoffs this year. 

I still think that college football needs what I'd call "The Alabama Rule": If you don't win your conference championship, you don't make the playoffs. How can y6u be `the best team in the country; when you can't win your conference?

Because, as I've said countless times, not all conferences are created equal. It's nothing like what the NFL produces. There's three teams, at least, in the SEC that could or would win the Pac-12 or ACC if they were in it. Clemson is a very, very good team, and I don't think anyone would argue it. But who in the ACC is even close to competing against them? Nobody. 

Alabama could easily be the second best team in the SEC and the second best team in the country. I don't think they are this year, but it's still illogical to think that just because they lost the #1 team in the country that they can't better than a Utah or Oklahoma. 

That argument is made for professional football where all the teams, for the most part, play each other and the league is much, much smaller. With nearly 130 teams, that argument falls apart. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

I'm not sure if you're trying to sahyder the situation or not. 😛

Right now we've got

1. LSU
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson 

as our undefeated "locks" as long as they win out, they're in. The only team out of those three that are guaranteed "out" with a loss is Clemson because they don't have any "good" wins. But I also don't think Clemson loses. Say Ohio State loses to Michigan, they'll still finish 11-1 and face (likely) 11-1 Minnesota, which means we'll have a 12-1 Big10 champion. If Utah wins out and beats Oregon in the Pac-12 championship, we'll have a 12-1 Pac-12 Champion Utah. Even if LSU loses, they'll be 11-1 with a win over Alabama, and a chance to beat a likely 11-1 Georgia team.

So no, unless things go to complete shit, which granted could happen, Alabama should and will likely still be on the outside because we're likely ending up with:

1-loss PAC-12 Champion (Utah)
1-loss Big-12 Champion (Oklahoma or Baylor)
Undefeated or one-loss Big-10 Champion (Ohio State most likely)
Undefeated ACC Champion (Clemson)
Undefeated or one-loss SEC Champion (LSU or Georgia)

Alabama won't get in over any of those scenarios. I know there was the scenario two years ago when Alabama didn't win their division but still got in, but that was a year where the only other one-loss team that didn't make the playoffs was a Wisconsin team that beat no one during the year and had just gotten beat by Ohio State in the Big-10 championship.

This is why I haaaaaaaaaate with a passion these pre-playoff rankings. Everybody's knickers get twisted up because of how the rankings stand with several games to go. But if you look at the records and games left to play, you'll see that unless shit hits the fan, Alabama isn't going to the playoffs this year. 

The pre-playoff rankings go off of where teams stand right now. An 11-1 Alabama team could get leapfrogged by a 12-1 Utah team who has some good wins. The Pac-12 is either the 2nd or 3rd best conference in the country and the voters know this.

3 SEC teams is still in play too if Georgia beats LSU and Oregon beats Utah. Lot of people would get their knickers in a twist about that, but it's hard to argue with the 3 of them getting in if that scenario happens. Btw, this was absolutely not in play before Oregon lost last night I think. Utah-Oregon was a play-in game before that loss.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meacon said:

Because, as I've said countless times, not all conferences are created equal. It's nothing like what the NFL produces. There's three teams, at least, in the SEC that could or would win the Pac-12 or ACC if they were in it. Clemson is a very, very good team, and I don't think anyone would argue it. But who in the ACC is even close to competing against them? Nobody. 

Alabama could easily be the second best team in the SEC and the second best team in the country. I don't think they are this year, but it's still illogical to think that just because they lost the #1 team in the country that they can't better than a Utah or Oklahoma. 

That argument is made for professional football where all the teams, for the most part, play each other and the league is much, much smaller. With nearly 130 teams, that argument falls apart. 

If like to see some of these SEC schools go to the desert with their season in the line, or face PAC12AfterDark on a rainy Friday night in Corvallis. 

• Like 1

Arkansas loses to Missouri, Arkansas State loses to South Alabama, but hey Central Arkansas are co-champions of their division! 

For the second year in a row, Arkansas ends their season 0-8 in SEC play. 

I was reading an article where a bunch of high school Michigan and Ohio State fans were polled and the majority of them indicated that they didn't view any real extra importance in this game or the rivalry.

Was kinda shocking to see until I remembered that Ohio State has won 14 of the last 15, basically the entire time these teenagers have watched football.  It's like the rivalry got so one-sided that it skipped a generation.