David Beckham's MLS 2020

Szumi

Interesting. Can’t say I’ve been following him that closely so he might have dropped off a cliff, but getting a guy that was a pretty big part of a World Cup winning team just two years ago is a nice signing for the MLS. I’d imagine he still has a lot to offer.

Edited by metalman

David Beckham brought football to the people of Miami and Fort Lauderdale who had no team to call their own. He deserves a lot of praise for that and I know the locals are all very grateful. Blaise Matuidi is just the cherry on top.

Edited by metalman
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, metalman said:

David Beckham brought football to the people of Miami and Fort Lauderdale who had no team to call their own. He deserves a lot of praise for that and I know the locals are all very grateful. Blaise Matuidi is just the cherry on top.

7 minutes ago, LL. said:

He'll make us an even stronger contender! Another AMAZING move by David Beckham. 

Only going to lose by sixty against a random bunch of teenagers, progress.

File photo of Blaise on the road with his new team:

clowns-820x555.png

• Admin

There was a smattering of boos when players from FC Dallas and Nashville SC collectively took a knee during the national anthem before their MLS game on Wednesday night in Frisco, Texas.

Dallas defender Reggie Cannon said he was disgusted by the boos at Toyota Stadium when players and officials knelt to call attention to racial injustice. He said teammate Ryan Hollingshead turned to him afterward and said he was sorry.

“You can’t even have support from your own fans in your own stadium. It’s baffling to me, Cannon said. “As a team we try to give the best possible product on the field and these last six months have been absolute hell for us. Absolute hell.”

He added: “You got fans booing you for people taking a stand for what they believe in. Millions of other people support this cause and we discussed with every other team and the league what we’re going to do and we’ve got fans booing us in our own stadium. How disgraceful is that? Honestly, for lack of a better word, it pissed me off.”

Dallas and Nashville had not played a game since the season was suspended on 12 March because of the coronavirus. While Major League Soccer’s other teams played in the MLS is Back tournament in Florida over the past month, Dallas and Nashville were forced to withdraw before the start because of positive Covid-19 tests among players from both teams.

The teams met as MLS restarts the regular season in local markets. Some of the games will include fans if local jurisdictions allow it.

Just over 5,000 were allowed to attend the match at Toyota Stadium, although the crowd that showed up appeared even smaller than the official reported turnout of 2,912. All fans were required to sign a liability waiver in which they agreed not to pursue legal action against MLS, the teams, or Soccer United Marketing (SUM) – the league’s marketing arm – if they contract the disease as a result of their attendance.

Nashville won the game, 1-0, on David Accam’s 86th-minute winner to secure the expansion club’s first ever victory. The two teams meet again on Sunday.

The death of George Floyd has spurred a number of MLS players to form the group Black Players for Change, which seeks to address systemic racism in soccer and society.

At the opening game of the MLS tournament in Florida, members of the group collectively stood in silence, fists raised, for more than eight minutes. Players and coaches wore Black Lives Matter T-shirts throughout the event.

Eight minutes, 46 seconds is the length of time prosecutors say Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, was pinned to the ground under a white Minneapolis police officers knee before he died.

Players and coaches wore Black Lives Matter T-shirts throughout the event.

The anthem was not played before games at the tournament. Cannon said the players had asked that it not be played before the game because they didn’t feel it was right for the anthem to be played in this moment.

“We had someone chanting U-S-A, but they don’t understand what kneeling means. They don’t understand why we’re kneeling. They can’t see the reason. They think we’re the ignorant ones,” Cannon said. “It’s incredibly frustrating. I’m sorry to have this tone, but you have to call it for what it is.”

Cannon said he expected to have some negative pushback over the unified response.

“It hurts me because I love our fans, I love this club, and I want to see the support that the league has given us, that everyone has given us, from our fans,” he said.

16 hours ago, Lowerdeck said:

Miami FC got its first point tonight, after getting a 1-1 tie at Tampa Bay.

Getting more points than Inter Miami in less games AND holding the Rowdies to a draw? Now that's something to celebrate.

• stokeriño changed the title to David Beckham's MLS 2020

It only took a decade plus for Beckham to have a team that wins a match. By the time his illegal land deal expires in 2070, they might actually have a mid-table placement.

But hey, now Inter Miami Chucklefucks can say they have as many wins as the real team in Ft Lauderdale has championships. And while taking longer to get points in 2020 as the real team in Miami did.

I just hope this isn't the start of a trend of threads being named after complete and total cunts.

Just now, LL. said:

When one of them is named after a c-word and not a god of all things football, we can start worrying about that. 

Time to start worrying then.

2 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

I just hope this isn't the start of a trend of threads being named after complete and total cunts.

I imagine you must have carefully chosen the cunt word, inspired by David Beckham's righteous tirade against the "bunch of cunts" who connived to deny this great and deserving man a knighthood. You're speaking his language, because you're living in his world.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

So much disrespect for such a beautiful legend.

Yes, he did disrespect the legendary legacy of beautiful Lockhart Stadium.

1 hour ago, metalman said:

I imagine you must have carefully chosen the cunt word, inspired by David Beckham's righteous tirade against the "bunch of cunts" who connived to deny this great and deserving man a knighthood. You're speaking his language, because you're living in his world.

No, I chose the word because he's the absolute worst thing to happen to South Florida since the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane, and a vile human being worth nothing but contempt.