2020 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

On 16/04/2020 at 13:14, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

There's like 112 wide receivers in this draft, so they must really really like him more than the other seven that'll likely go in the first round to consider moving up. 

I've heard the same thing about this class.  There will very likely be 2nd/3rd round wideouts that fall to the 5th/6th round.

2 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Frank Gore scored a 6, Bobby Wagner an 8. Not sure how good that test is at assessing football skill.

Doesn't Frank Gore have a severe learning disability? I remember reading that somewhere.

I don't think the results are all that important for most positions as they can digest a playbook. I'd be worried if a QB scored very low on a cognitive test though as the position is as much mental as it is physical.

15 hours ago, TCO said:

Doesn't Frank Gore have a severe learning disability? I remember reading that somewhere.

I don't think the results are all that important for most positions as they can digest a playbook. I'd be worried if a QB scored very low on a cognitive test though as the position is as much mental as it is physical.

A severe form of dyslexia

On 17/04/2020 at 15:18, punky said:

As long as he spells TDs for the Eagles, I'm good with it.

It is much easier to spell "TD" than it is to spell "Philadelphia".

• Like 1

Draft week.  It feels strange.  I mean given everything going on, it's nice to have a sports-related diversion.  At the same time, I'm struggling to be as excited for it as I usually am because there's a very good chance they're drafting for a season that won't even happen.

A California county official said it would require a "medical miracle" if even crowdless games are allowed to be played in the state before Thanksgiving, as they're not going to want to bring an entire football team from out of state without any assurance that they've been following quarantine.  So that's the Niners, Rams, and Chargers needing to be relocated plus who knows how many other states will enforce similar bans.  Bills, Jets, Giants, Eagles, Steelers, Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings, Panthers, Saints, Broncos, Raiders, and Seahawks all play in states with Democratic governors who tend to be way more cautious than their Republican counterparts on this stuff.  That's over half the league.

Patriots jersey is just the colour rush being made the primary and a white version of the same jersey. It's an improvement but now it just looks like the Texans who already have the most boring branding and colour scheme. Also the helmet and logo are still silver even though they removed the colour from everywhere else.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Meacon Moneybags said:

Really wanted them to go back to Patriot Pat as the primary. 

When you win 6 Super Bowls with flying Elvis he becomes your primary logo.

I've actually felt for awhile they should honor Patriot Pat by putting him at the 50 yd line.

37 minutes ago, B-li Manning said:

Draft week.  It feels strange.  I mean given everything going on, it's nice to have a sports-related diversion.  At the same time, I'm struggling to be as excited for it as I usually am because there's a very good chance they're drafting for a season that won't even happen.

A California county official said it would require a "medical miracle" if even crowdless games are allowed to be played in the state before Thanksgiving, as they're not going to want to bring an entire football team from out of state without any assurance that they've been following quarantine.  So that's the Niners, Rams, and Chargers needing to be relocated plus who knows how many other states will enforce similar bans.  Bills, Jets, Giants, Eagles, Steelers, Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings, Panthers, Saints, Broncos, Raiders, and Seahawks all play in states with Democratic governors who tend to be way more cautious than their Republican counterparts on this stuff.  That's over half the league.

There's going to be a lot of teams who will run into similar situations. So much that creative options are on the table because I think they'll move heaven and Earth to have a season happen, whether it's abbreviated or they start it late. NFL simply is too big a part of society for it to just totally go away for a year.

2 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

There's going to be a lot of teams who will run into similar situations. So much that creative options are on the table because I think they'll move heaven and Earth to have a season happen, whether it's abbreviated or they start it late. NFL simply is too big a part of society for it to just totally go away for a year.

Well they can't do anything as intense as MLB's proposal to play a whole season in close quarters in Arizona...the NFL has twice as many players and probably 2-3 times more personnel.  But apparently one of the plans on the table is to have teams set up shop throughout Texas where there are NFL quality training facilities at the colleges and high schools.  Teams would use their own charter jet if they had to fly across state for a game.  Problem is you'll get similar resistance amongst players who don't want to play a year in quarantine away from their families so the logistics would still be difficult to figure out.  Could have teams stay home and then just hop on the charter for games but still, there's risk.

One benefit the NFL has going for it is time.  They can delay the season basically as long as they want.  Networks won't care if the season extends into February with playoffs in March and the Super Bowl in April.  Every NFL game is a ratings juggernaut.