NFL 2020

Lineker

11 hours ago, damshow said:

INTs aren't the best indicator of how good a DB is. I mean if you're Ed Reed they are but for a CB or a lot of elite safeties they simply do not have the ball thrown to them a lot if they're truly great. It's kind of like tackles for ILBs, they can get a ton of tackles if they're out of position a bit and let TEs catch on them all day or RBs plow through them and drag them 5 yards.

You'd think there'd be some sort of advanced metric designed to calculate a DB's effectiveness in closing down a receiver.

Something like a Defensive Catch Rate (i.e. the % of passes not caught by their assignment) would go a long way in determining a DB/Safety's efficacy at preventing plays. It would also be quite an easy metric to draw up since every assignment and snap is logged anyways in the modern game.

I.e. if DB1 allows 4 catches in 5 targets, he'd have a 20% DCR, whilst DB2 allowing 6 catches in 10 targets gets a 40% DCR. Higher = better

Ultimately INT's are more interesting from an extreme efficiency standpoint, since it's a direct change of possession and nullifies the entire run of the other team. But it's definitely not the be all end all, and there's a lot of brilliant pass-cover DB's out there that don't get the fortune of being in locations to intercept the ball (be it, they lack the skill/mindset for it, or are a 3rd/4th string guy that won't get lots of snaps a game.

• Like 1

Bieniemy doesn't have connections to the Patriots, so of course Houston has no interest there.

The thing with the Patriots though is, everything runs through Bill.  You can hire off some coordinator or front office personnel, but in reality they didn't have as much power or control as the equivalents in other teams would.  So they get hired on by a different organization and aren't as good as most would assume.  (And Houston's just a mess of an organization, even before picking off half of the Pats.)  Bill gets paid in excess of $20m a year and does basically whatever he wants - even if coaches or scouts or anyone else recommends otherwise.

Most of you probably don't listen to Boston sports radio, but it's been interesting hearing some of the criticisms being thrown towards Belichick in recent weeks.  I've also heard a few times in the last week people suggest trading Belichick for Watson straight up.

Criticisms towards Belichick are idiotic. He's had a couple bad drafts and suddenly people want to get rid of him? With any other coach that NE team could have easily been 2-14. They were bad, real bad. And a lot of it is because his drafting has sucked but it feels like a regression to the mean after a decade of consistently top 10 drafts.

There will be a time when he's hung around too long and the organization will need to completely move on from him (since he doesn't strike me as the guy who will retire at his peak) but uh, I think that deserves to be a few more years off at the earliest.

1 minute ago, Twist said:

Bills (and by Bills I mean Josh Allen) just put together a really nice drive to go into the half with the lead. A lot of broken plays that Allen turned into big gains.

Gabriel Davis made a couple of big catches too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, damshow said:

How will he handle losing? Winning only 90% of the time was bad for his health.

Oh, don't worry about it. After they drop 3 games in a row, he'll suddenly have `family issues' that require him to step down.