Formula One 2022

Lineker

8 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Are Alpha Tauri actually willing to risk the safety of their driver on some gaffer tape?

I mean near every other team is willingly letting their drivers take 6G shocks to the head with the insane porpoising going on, so I guess there's your answer.

In general, there's not a single team that wouldn't push the absolute limits of the safety regulations for a competitive advantage. It's a nature of the beast, and the drivers themselves aren't in a position to say no, and they're also focused on maximizing their competitive edge.

Unless race control or the FIA mandate more aggressive safety measures, no team will willingly implement any themselves.

The South African GP is likely to return in 2023, with the Belgian GP likely to be the one to make way.

This is such a difficult one to judge, because there absolutely needs to be a race in Africa, but Belgium should absolutely not be the one to miss out. Apparently the Dutch GP does enough to cover that area of the world.

Although it's strange how they don't say that for Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Abu Dhabi, huh?

• Like 2

Spa for many years was basically the go-to track for most Dutch fans, especially since Max Verstappen showed up and started succeeding. Now with the Dutch GP, the importance of Spa has lowered for Dutch fans since they have their own.

It's still a massive loss, though. Zandvoort absolutely sucks for racing, and Spa has been one of the iconic F1 tracks for as long as it has existed.

But I also like the idea of seeing Kyalami back on the calendar, I don't know if it's ideal for F1 (the last few corners are really tight.), but in a global F1 there has to be at least one race in Africa along with the other continents, and Kyalami is the best circuit for that.

I'd rather a few other tracks made way, but money talks and Spa by all accounts have struggled for it for a while now. It befell the German GP, and I guess Spa is now the one on the chopping block.

• Sad 1

It wouldn't surprise me. Latifi hasnt delivered at all this year, which is a shame because he seems like a really nice guy. This isn't a Mazepin situation where he's a terrible driver and person so it's a tougher thing to see.

Definitely, apparently pays $45m a season to drive? So Williams would have to give up/give back roughly $25m, although I guess that is now affordable for them and they aren’t in desperate need of a pay driver.

A lot of pro-oil Canadian politicians are going after Seb, calling him a hypocrite for criticising Canada's oil usage on his helmet whilst driving an F1 car and being sponsored by Aramco.

Unfortunately they do have a point, which even Seb has admitted in the past, and their criticism is amplified by the fact that the teams have flown all their equipment from Miami to Barcelona/Monaco to Baku to Montreal in the space of six weeks.

Politicians who have the legislative power to do something about the environment but choose not to Vs. Racing Driver who on his own has only a voice to call for change.

And as Chris mentioned, Vettel knows that it's hypocritical to call for these things when his team is driving in a Saudi blood oil competition, but that doesn't take away the fact that these politicians are the bigger cunts for not pushing for change when they do actually have the power to.

TL;DR - Those politicians need to do less whinging at people and more doing something about the climate crisis. But they won't do it, because the lobby's too far up their ass.

And let's face it, not a single one has done any research into Seb's character to see what he has said in the past and all the work he puts in to almost counteract his carbon footprint. There's plenty of people in F1 you can call an asshole but Seb Vettel isn't one. Unless you're Mark Webber at Malaysia in 2013.

My only issue is that F1 has to do something about the schedule to lower the amount of long haul travel.

• Like 2

Watching Alonso drift around the final corner on his way to taking provisional P1 was great, but Max just seems to be on another level. Hoping Alonso or Russell get P2.

OK, maybe it won't be Russell, because he has lost his actual mind.

Fernando P2!