Formula One 2022

Lineker

I thought Russell was blagging it when he said he stopped to help Zhou, not because his car was too damaged, but the replays suggest the engine was still running and he stopped it himself. Huge respect to him for doing that, and kind of ridiculous that he's not allowed to take the restart if the car is able to.

And speaking of restarts, as it was a first lap red flag, I think Sainz goes back on to pole.

The red flag looks like it may have been a blessing in disguise. The expected protestors did indeed try and make it on to the track, most of whom were stopped by security before they could, but the ones got through at least didn't have cars at full racing speed. Absolute idiots.

• Like 1

• Admin

Replays being shown now. Terrifying accident.

4 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

And speaking of restarts, as it was a first lap red flag, I think Sainz goes back on to pole.

Back to grid order. They didn't even get through a full sector.

8 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

The red flag looks like it may have been a blessing in disguise. The expected protestors did indeed try and make it on to the track, most of whom were stopped by security before they could, but the ones got through at least didn't have cars at full racing speed. Absolute idiots.

wxcfnjdfke991.jpg?width=576&auto=webp&s=

That is about the scariest thing I've ever seen on an F1 track. Maybe alongside Webber's upside down flip into the sky after hitting Kovalainen. I didn't see the Grosjean crash at the time.

The trajectory of Zhou's car from collision to resting in the wall is surely about as extreme a test of the safety precautions as is possible. The halo saves his life no doubt, and the gravel slows his sliding car just enough that he doesn't flip too high for the fence to catch him. And the soft, wide tyre barrier allows his car to land on something other than hard floor.

Just mental stuff. A total fluke based on the way Russell has tagged him. George should have seen Gasly and straightened out but we're talking miliseconds to react, and the chain reaction means there's nothing Albon can really do to avoid being shunted by Vettel.

I'm just so glad that Zhou is okay.

It gets so frustrating to see Verstappen constantly taking the lead, and I assume now winning this race, due to other people messing up.

MAYBE NOT!

Speaking of messing up, Tsunoda has had an absolute nightmare there.

I get the feeling that Carlos is not winning this race regardless of what happens. I expect some Ferrari "tactics" to occur.

I'd be less annoyed by that if I didn't think that Charles' driving on the second opening lap wasn't clearly penalty-worthy.

If ever anyone wants to know why I'm half-Italian but don't support Ferrari, telling Carlos to stay 10 car lengths behind Leclerc is the exact sort of shit I hate in F1.

I'm so glad Carlos ignored them.

Perhaps it's recency bias, but I think these last 5 laps are some of the most exciting I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed that. I hadn’t really got into this season as much as the last two but this race had me hooked. I like Sainz and he was overdue a win - I remember really hoping he’d overtake Gasly at Monza a couple of years ago - so glad he finally got it.

• Like 1