Formula One 2022

Lineker

What a bizarre decision, going from a team which is built around you to a team that is built around an average driver who's always going to get preferential treatment through nepotism, not to mention that the AMs are fundamentally slower than the Alpines.

A lot of Fernando's decisions look good on paper and turn out to be bad, this one just looks bad to begin with.

• Admin

That I'd bonkers. Aston have arguably actually managed to upgrade on Vettel!

Alonso clearly wants the extra years guaranteed, plus to be in a car designed by Dan Fallows. I guess that at his age he is choosing to take this massive punt, rather than sticking with the perceived ceiling he sees at Enstone.

Honestly, it's a smart gamble for Alonso who knows that Alpine are kind of stuck in the mud and they're not willing to give him the long term guarantees he wants (which shows his ambition to still be a racing driver long term), and Aston Martin at least gives him the latter with a potential of them at some point figuring it out and producing a decent car.

I have no hopes of Aston Martin as an outfit as long as Lawrence Stroll is the guy that gives his mediocre son a race seat, they've done little to make me believe in their sporting merits going forward either because they've only been going backwards with their only peak year being a literal blueprint copy of Mercedes' car from a few years ago.

But for Alonso, it's the gamble he has to take. He wants to continue, and rather it be at a team that goes places AND wants to go there with him, than one that'll drop him for the young hot star when they no longer deem him useful enough.

And honestly, I don't blame Alpine here either, they have a stonking good talent sitting on the sidelines by the name of Oscar Piastri, and he deserves a seat in this year's F1, so him getting it next year is the second best choice.

What the hell do Alpine do if they have indeed lost Alonso and Piastri in the space of a day? Bring Ricciardo back? Surely nobody wants that.

Back a truck of money up to Theo Pourchaire's door? It looks like a real shitshow for them.