Formula One 2022

Lineker

• Admin

The first details of Porsche’s planned 50% buy-in of the Red Bull Formula 1 team have been revealed in legal documents, ahead of a potential announcement next month.

Despite the lack of any official press release announcing that the long-rumoured partnership between the German manufacturer and the Milton Keynes-based F1 squad is go, formal processes have begun to ensure that the tie-up does not hit a snag.

One of the hurdles that needed to be overcome was a green light from anti-cartel authorities around the world to ensure that there was nothing untoward in the two companies joining up.

As well as this needing to be done in the European Union, it also required applications to be lodged in more than 20 countries outside the EU.

One of these is Morocco, whose government legislation stipulates that applications are subject to mandatory publication once approved.

The process to get the green light has required Porsche and Red Bull to reveal details of their tie-up, which have now been published in Morocco by the Conseil de la Concurrence.

The document reveals that Porsche notified the Conseil on 8 July that it will be setting out on a 10-year partnership with Red Bull – which includes a 50% stake in its grand prix operation.

It suggests the partnership will be formally announced on 4 August.

This week’s notification mentioned only a 50% buy in of Red Bull Technology, but it is understood that the partnership will also extend to the separate F1 team business as well.

The revealing of the details by authorities, even before the announcement has been made public, has partly been triggered by delays in a formal green light from Porsche for its F1 return.

The original plan had been for its partnership to be announced at the Austrian Grand Prix three weeks ago.

However, that idea was postponed because the FIA World Motor Sport Council did not approve the engine regulations from 2026 as announced on 29 June. Finalised engine regulations are a prerequisite for Porsche to officially communicate its entry into Formula 1.

While the Moroccan document only mentioned Red Bull, its sister squad AlphaTauri will in all likelihood also compete with Porsche power - anything else would be illogical in view of the synergies sought between Red Bull Racing and AlphaTauri.

The Faenza-based team will, however, remain 100% in the hands of Red Bull.

The second brand of the Volkswagen Group, Audi, whose Formula 1 entry has already been approved by all the necessary bodies, is not yet as far along with its project as Porsche.

Autosport understands that the Ingolstadt-based company is still negotiating with Sauber owner Finn Rausing about the acquisition of 75% of the team shares.

The Volkswagen Group's Supervisory Board had already given the green light for Porsche and Audi's Formula 1 entry on 7 April, and approved the corresponding budgets after all the boards of the two brands had previously given their consent.

Doubts arose briefly recently because Volkswagen Group CEO Herbert Diess announced his resignation on 22 July.

However, Diess will be replaced on 1 September by the CEO of Porsche AG, Oliver Blume, who was already one of the major supporters of the Formula 1 program at brand level at Porsche.

Well that's the first world champion younger than me to retire, which isn't pleasant.

I wasn't a big fan of Seb in his Red Bull days, but he has grown on me a lot in recent years, particularly with his willingness to use his platform to speak about important issues. He is, of course, a fantastic driver.

It opens a potential merry-go-round for driver spots, and is a place Ricciardo could land if McLaren decide to bin him off.

As much as i love and respect Sebastian Vettel, I think him stepping away from the sport is good for the sport itself. There is a veritable logjam of young talent stuck on the sidelines, of which there's already a lost generation forming who never were able to get into F1 due to a lack of movement in the paddock.

And in terms of sporting results, Vettel has been on the slide for the past three years and his move to Aston Martin was merely just delaying the inevitable.

Having said that, like Chris mentioned, he's done a lot of work using his voice for social change and the fact he opened an Instagram account just yesterday is a clear indicator that he's not going to be any less socially active after he steps out the car for the final time.

The silly season is going to start proper, now, though. With Lawrence on the prowl for the next victim to drive the nowhere-project Aston Martin. I am expecting either Ocon or Ricciardo as the main candidates, with McLaren clearly fancying giving Colton Herta a spot in F1 and Alpine undoubtedly wanting to give Piastri a shot at F1.

There's also Williams F1 who has been flirting with signing Piastri, so maybe 2023 will have two rookies on the grid. One can only hope.

Ocon is locked in at Alpine, who seem keen to loan out Piastri for a year and then have him replace Alonso - who to be fair doesn't want to leave after 2023.

I still think Piastri ends up at Williams, and Aston Martin stick a rookie in the car to "learn" from Stroll. Most of the established drivers are locked in to contracts and I can't see many with a motivation to move. Tsunoda losing his seat is the only vacancy beyond Williams and Aston Martin that I see as possible for next year.

Ricciardo doesn't want to leave McLaren apparently, and we're still at least a year away from Colton Herta or Pato O'Ward realistically being primed for a jump to F1.

My money would be on De Vries or Hulkenberg replacing Vettel at this stage.

2 hours ago, Daddy Magic JasonM said:

There's also Williams F1 who has been flirting with signing Piastri, so maybe 2023 will have two rookies on the grid. One can only hope.

To be honest if Williams want to go with a rookie for next year they should go with Logan Sargeant, who is in their academy, rather than just developing a driver for Alpine.

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

I still think Piastri ends up at Williams, and Aston Martin stick a rookie in the car to "learn" from Stroll.

There's a big part of me that wants the hypothetical rookie to completely out-drive Stroll and see what excuse daddy Stroll comes up with this time.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

There's a big part of me that wants the hypothetical rookie to completely out-drive Stroll and see what excuse daddy Stroll comes up with this time.

Someone like Felipe Drugovich, perhaps.

22 minutes ago, Adam said:

Ocon is locked in at Alpine, who seem keen to loan out Piastri for a year and then have him replace Alonso - who to be fair doesn't want to leave after 2023.

I still think Piastri ends up at Williams, and Aston Martin stick a rookie in the car to "learn" from Stroll. Most of the established drivers are locked in to contracts and I can't see many with a motivation to move. Tsunoda losing his seat is the only vacancy beyond Williams and Aston Martin that I see as possible for next year.

Ricciardo doesn't want to leave McLaren apparently, and we're still at least a year away from Colton Herta or Pato O'Ward realistically being primed for a jump to F1.

My money would be on De Vries or Hulkenberg replacing Vettel at this stage.

Both those options would be dream scenarios for me. As a Dutchman I obviously want to see Nyck de Vries get a fair shake, because it's preposterous that a guy who won F2 and FE in consecutive years wouldn't get a look in, even if one can make a case that Nyck is a Jolyon Palmer kind of talent that simply succeeded to late.

Hülkenberg grew up 15 minutes from where I live just across the border. And he's always been my favourite driver on the modern F1 grids, but honestly, he's 34 and he's honestly had his shake as an F1 driver, and it'd be hypocritical to want him back in F1 when I also claim Vettel's departure is good to get more youth into the sport.

I don't see Tsunoda leaving F1, not yet at least. Whilst Honda's deal is pretty much done, and with Porsche buying into Red Bull, he's clearly still a very valued driver at Alpha Tauri and Helmut Marko has shown more patience with him than with most junior drivers. It's clear they see him as a potentially top driver who simply needs to become more consistent across a race distance. There's been races he's been on pace with Gasly, which is no easy feat.

Ricciardo has been confirmed to stay at McLaren, but Zak Brown and Ricciardo have been somewhat vague about what the wording exactly means. And there's been some rumour in the media that it could also mean that it might be Ricciardo making an excursion to Indycar as the main McLaren driver, doing a swap with Herta or Pato in the process. And honestly, it wouldn't be the worst move for Ricciardo to do, because it's clear the McLaren F1 car is simply not built the way he wants it to be. Sportingly a move towards AM might be possible, but he'd leave a LOT of money on the table that he'd get nowhere else but with McLaren.

17 minutes ago, MadJack said:

To be honest if Williams want to go with a rookie for next year they should go with Logan Sargeant, who is in their academy, rather than just developing a driver for Alpine.

Sargeant is the logical option to develop their own talent, but one of the biggest things that Williams are playing with now is their upcoming engine supply from Renault. Piastri is a possible bargaining chip if Renault/Alpine wants Piastri in a seat, but can't afford one on their own team, Williams could come in and take Piastri if there's some financial incentive in terms of the engine deal. Sarge can't offer that, and for Williams they're not out of the woods financially just yet, and would probably prefer deals that give them more financial stability.

• Like 3

• Admin

MILAN, July 29 (Reuters) - Alfa Romeo has renewed its Formula 1 partnership with Sauber for the next racing season, Alfa Chief Executive Jean-Philippe Imparato said on Friday.

"I have signed the renewal this morning," Imparato said. He said Formula 1 was a "school of excellence" and part of its DNA for Alfa Romeo, a brand of Stellantis, the world's fourth largest carmaker.

"Every year in July we assess the situation. If in the future we realise we are not interested any more (in Formula 1) or we don't have returns on our investments, we'll see what to do, but everything will be done in an orderly way," Imparato said.

Binotto leaving the pitwall with 20 laps to go (and ignoring his contracted media commitment for being available for comment during the race) and running to the hills says all you need to know about Ferrari's management right now. They finally manage to get a race-winning car designed, only for their strategies to be absolutely abysmal.

I think Binotto is an issue, but he's not the issue with Ferrari. Under Maurizio before they also had this bullshit where they tossed away two years where Vettel had a chance against Hamilton, same under Domenicali who was at the head of Ferrari throwing away Alonso's chances to get a WDC in the Red Bull years.

The entire team right now has an identity of losing. Problems are ignored with a "Shucks, we'll get them next time" attitude and they don't seem to show any real sporting responsibility in the entire system. They seem to go along assuming that next time they won't fuck up, and act surprised when the same approach leads to the same results.

Ferrari needs a heavy overhaul in how it operates, it's needed it for over a decade now but they lucked into Kimi and Massa carrying them to a WDC and WCC they didn't truly deserve, and they're still coasting on the glory that Schumi/Todt/Brawn accomplished in the 00s.

McLaren had this issue, too. Then they took the broom and cleared out the team and built a better one, and whilst this season is a dip, the difference in team mentality gave them new life after they circled the drain.

• Like 3