Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

Going to be hard to see (no pun intended) on Son being medically cleared to play in the World Cup, even with a protective mask.

I personally don't really like Son anymore as a player, but I know how important he is to South Korea. Really hope he's able to play. There's already too many players missing out on the World Cup.

What bothers me most is they aren’t even united, are they? Manchester has another big team. Same with Sheffield.

Whereas Newcastle and Leeds are very much the team of their cities. 

It honestly doesn't bother me that much, other than when Man Utd are playing another United and the commentators still just say United, context is everything. Might as well just say Manchester when United play City.

Just as an aside, I don't know what the other United's represent, but in Newcastle's case it's entirely because two existing clubs merged in 1892.

10 hours ago, Twist said:

What bothers me most is they aren’t even united, are they? Manchester has another big team. Same with Sheffield.

Whereas Newcastle and Leeds are very much the team of their cities. 

The "United" suffix in a football team name generally refers to the formation involving a uniting of clubs or members, it's nothing to do with being the one team of a city. Sheffield United Cricket Club was the first sports team to use it, and Sheffield United FC take their name from them.

Manchester United were named as such after the original club, Newton Heath, went bust. It's not relevant that there is also a Manchester City club to be honest.

On 01/11/2022 at 01:06, 9 to 5 said:

Klopp currently has an identical league record as Hodgson did in his last season at Anfield.

This is comparing apples to oranges.

The Hodge was only in charge for 31 games in total. Klopp has just hit 400.

Klopp has actually acheived things and is popular and happy where he is.

While Hodgson signed Paul Konchesky and was generally miserable the whole time he was around.

16 minutes ago, Colly said:

So you're saying Hodgson should have been given more time?

He got twice as many games at Blackburn.

Which I'm sure made him very popular there!

3 hours ago, MadJack said:

Chris Sutton is a moron. United became known as United because of their widespread support across the country and place in culture not because they were above the United's in the table.

I fully agree that Sutton is a moron (hence the Partridge), and the table position thing is facetious nonsense. Place in culture is a hell of a statement though, it's entirely down to becoming massive at a time when TV football became all encompassing, and progressive years of Manchester United ex-players dominating punditry panels. This is course contributes to their widespread support across the country (success breeds fans, there were Blackburn fans at my school in the North East...), but it's a circular thing led and maintained by the media.

As I said it doesn't particularly bother me in context, but there's some really lazy usage of it at times.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

tbh I've seen cameras cut to him just doing that when nothing is really happenning.

I think that's just how his face looks when he's watching the game :P

Premier League's Aston Villa to Embark on Review of Club Crest –  SportsLogos.Net News

So its either the current one slightly altered or the one they used from the 70s-90s slightly altered?

I'd vote for to bring back the earliest one tbh