Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

8 hours ago, METALMAN said:

What has gone wrong at Liverpool? Obviously when they built the team that won the league, it was good recruitment and talent spotting that got them there, but since then the standard of that has fallen away quite significantly. Also I've never understood why they always have such limited squad depth relative to the club's financial means. Particularly in a season with a World Cup plonked in the middle. Post-World Cup with an exhausted squad and limited not much scope for rotation this could get even worse.

They've run out of legs, which happened to Klopp at Dortmund too and why you'd think they'd have been more proactive in addressing the need for more bodies in the midfield. Their recruitment has generally been alright, but a lot of their players - whether because of their own deficiencies or due to the wear that Klopp's style takes - always seem to be injured.

There's a supposed midfield overhaul due to start in the summer, based around a big money move for Jude Bellingham, but that overhaul should've started in the summer just gone and they need to go something in January, I think, or risk dropping out of the top 4 entirely.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dang117 said:

I always hate when a team when play consistently bad under one manager then all of sudden the game after that manager is sacked they play well. Players definitely in modern football have a lot more power. 

I mean there is an element of that. But also abandoning a useless 4-3-3 formation and actually starting Ings, Buendia, and Bailey together for the first time since spending £83m on them has to help. 

In this situation, it is also very, very funny.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cymbols said:

I mean there is an element of that. But also abandoning a useless 4-3-3 formation and actually starting Ings, Buendia, and Bailey together for the first time since spending £83m on them has to help. 

In this situation, it is also very, very funny.

Oh 100% agree with that but you always tell when a team kinda downs tools. Plus it also now means Gerrard has a worse winning percentage as a manager than Gary Neville

Jesse Marsch looking like he's probably about to be sacked, soon if not after this result.

Leeds have been the better side in most of their matches they've drawn/lost in this run, honestly. But they've let down time and time again by their amazing profligacy in the attack - especially Bamford, who has become seriously awful - and some of the worst defending I've ever seen.

A lot of Americans want to claim it's not Jesse's fault because the defending is almost always individual errors, but eventually you have to admit individual errors are a result of his inability to organize a defense or coach transition defending at an even mediocre level.