2023 NFL Off-Season thread

Lineker

3 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Considering he was offered the most non-Watson guarantees and turned it down I think it's obvious he doesn't understand his own value, especially after two season-ending injuries.

So you're saying you're all in on a trade for Dak Prescott?

4 hours ago, damhausen said:

Considering he was offered the most non-Watson guarantees and turned it down I think it's obvious he doesn't understand his own value, especially after two season-ending injuries.

I think he understands his own value just fine.

A 26 year old former MVP is basically available and teams are going out of their way to say they're not interested? That sounds like a reasonable thing to happen in a league devoid of many good QBs. 

42 minutes ago, livid said:

I think he understands his own value just fine.

A 26 year old former MVP is basically available and teams are going out of their way to say they're not interested? That sounds like a reasonable thing to happen in a league devoid of many good QBs. 

This is him/whoever is advising him trying to flip the script since the trade market and RFA tender market have yet to materialize. It remains entirely possible after the draft there's an odd team out that decides to go all-in. The leaked numbers are all coming in at being the most non-Watson money ever guaranteed. Fair to him for wanting more than Watson because he's better than Watson, but until the league falls in line to treat that deal as anything but an outlier nobody will negotiate with him.

Given the stuff that's come up, with him having a non-NFLPA approved agent contact teams as well as the trade request going out on March 2, the teams that all "immediately" said they weren't interested probably had more than enough time to consider an offer and all decided it was more than they'd pay if they also had to give up draft picks. Maybe the teams did all collectively agree not to have a repeat of the Watson contract with Burrow and Hurts extensions looming. It's certainly likely.

But as has been the case since he was tagged, the advantage has shifted to the Ravens who have the tag. The price as has been set is too high, and he has had one confirmed contract offer - for allegedly $200 million guaranteed and $44/mil annually. The whole situation completely sucks for Lamar because his advice doesn't mirror the reality. He better hope Burrow and Hurts hold out for fully guaranteed deals as well.

I don't know which is the funniest on Facebook:

1. Bears fans (and *only* Bears fans) who think that Justin Fields is going to dominate the NFC North. At this point, Fields is Tim Tebow 2.0. Try waiting for your team to have a decent record before spewing that garbage.

2. Cam Newton fans who actually think he should get a shot at a starting job with an NFL team. He did throw a hell of an on target bomb at the Auburn pro day, but that's easier to do when you don't have to worry about a 320 lb+ DL trying to tackle you.

3. Fans who think Patrick Mahomes is already on the same level at Tom Brady. Mahomes does have better stats if you compare their careers at the same point, but until he has more rings.....

4. Anyone, including Jerry Jones and Michael Irvin, who think the Cowboys can win a Super Bowl (let alone reach one) with Dak. Also the same who think letting Zeke go was a bad idea.

The only thing funnier is Ohio State fans who think Ryan Day is the best college football coach. Then again, most Ohio State fans are delusional, anyway.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Meacon Keaton said:

Every Ohio State fan I've heard from or know has wanted Ryan Day gone for a few years.

The Ohio State fans you're talking about are actually Michigan fans in disguise.

Its posts from Ohio State Buckeye fan groups that are spitting out this nonsense! The only reason I don't mute those and Bears groups when their drivel pops up is because I need a good laugh. The Bears are one of my favorite NFC teams not named the Cowboys, but the delusion when it comes to Fields is insane.)

Oh, forgot to add: 5. Ohio State fans who think CJ Stroud will be the #1 draft pick AND elite. (Yeah, he'll be `elite'.....like Joe Flacco, at best.)

• Like 1

I mean it sounds crazy but looking at the stats, right now at this moment, it's not SUPER far off. Both are about the same size and are/were QBs that featured a dangerous running game.

Tebow's 2011 season and Fields' 2022 season are pretty similar when you keep in mind that Fields started 4 more games:

• Passing Yards: Fields 2242, Tebow 1729
  • Passing TDs: Fields 17, Tebow 12
  • Interceptions: Fields 11, Tebow 6
  • Passing First Downs: Fields 91, Tebow 77
  • Rushing Yards: Fields 1143, Tebow 660
  • Rushing TDs: Fields 8, Tebow 6
  • Fumbles: Fields 16, Tebow 13
  • Sacks: Fields 55, Tebow 33

So the comparison itself, out of context, is not really all that wild. Obviously, there are some differences one being that Fields' kills Tebow in Completion Percentage:

• Fields 60.4, Tebow 46.5

Also feel like there was less debate about Fields' upside and mechanics, unlike Tebow who was very divisive in a football sense. Fields going at 11 wasn't a shocker, Tebow going at 25 definitely was.

You also have two different situations: the Bears have a new GM and Coach who seem to be solidly behind Fields and working around him while the Broncos were mired in the Josh McDaniels situation when Tebow was drafted. Not saying Tebow would have necessarily developed differently but it's worth noting that Fields has a much better situation around him than Tebow did which I think has and will continue to benefit Fields' potential development.

If Field's continues on the track he is now, the question of Tebow vs Fields will likely look super silly (as it does on the surface even now) but right now at the moment it's not a totally wild comparison.  

• Like 1