Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

10 minutes ago, Adam said:

Whilst I still think it's a complete mess and PSR needs reworking immediately, I'm glad it remains in our hands to stay up despite the deductions. We have to win a few more games and survive, and then go from there with hopefully the takeover and the state of PSR/FFP.

Taking obvious bias out of this, I really don't think the takeover is going to be good for Everton either. The fact its still not approved and the fact there are issues with 777 with other clubs and themselves as a company having legal issues due to payments suggests the grass isn't necessarily greener. I honestly think they're looking at the benefits of the stadium more than anything. 

34 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Taking obvious bias out of this, I really don't think the takeover is going to be good for Everton either. The fact its still not approved and the fact there are issues with 777 with other clubs and themselves as a company having legal issues due to payments suggests the grass isn't necessarily greener. I honestly think they're looking at the benefits of the stadium more than anything. 

That may well be, but we're in this current mess with deductions and a constant threat of relegation with Moshiri anyway. He's led an incompetent, failing club for years and the sooner he is gone the better.

Or, put another way, Everton are going down the pan with the current owners anyway.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

The bit that I don't quite get is that this is for overspending in 2022/23 (I.e. last season), so why did the previous deduction kick in this season and not last where it would have relegated Everton? Is it just that they're only just implementing these rules?

Everton have been deducted a further 6 points for financial irregularities during the 1936/37 season

That is a guy who probably needed to try his hand in a league somewhere between Portugal and the Premier League before taking any job in England let alone one of the biggest.

Maybe it works out, there is Mourinho's precedent it does, but if it doesn't then it'll be bad for Liverpool and terrible for him.

I've got faith in the team behind the scenes if that they've identified Amorim to be the guy then I'll back him and once Alonso ruled himself out Amorim was probably the second choice for me. Rather him than De Zerbi

Anyone who comes in after Klopp is always going to be difficult but if he's eager for the job that's a positive for me. 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what kind of figures come out about the compensation Sporting will get for Amorim. When he moved to Sporting from Braga, they set a then record for a manager's compensation/transfer fee at 15-20 million euros. That's only since been beaten by Potter to Chelsea and either Tuchel or Nagelsmann, in one of their moves.

4 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

That is a guy who probably needed to try his hand in a league somewhere between Portugal and the Premier League before taking any job in England let alone one of the biggest.

Maybe it works out, there is Mourinho's precedent it does, but if it doesn't then it'll be bad for Liverpool and terrible for him.

I suppose its representative of the present field when it comes to available managers.

I know next to nothing about him. It's probably a better option than Alonso or De Zerbi in that he's presently managing one of the biggest clubs in Portugal, in a city with two big clubs, and could very well go out having won them two league titles.

I  can't remember if it was Edwards or Julian Ward who were big into Portuguese football but it also tracks with Liverpool's recent frequent forays into buying from that league.

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but I think a top Premier League job like Liverpool is more appealing than any other in the world bar Real or Barca, at this point in time. And Real already have a manager, whilst Barcelona don't tend to go for the "super coaches".

I don't think Amorim is a better option than Xabi Alonso at all - Alonso is about to win one of the major leagues in Europe when nobody expected them to, and in dominant fashion too. But then he isn't available either, so Liverpool have to pick the manager who is successful but who fits what they want their club and team to be like going forward. Maybe that is Amorim, I've no idea.

3 hours ago, FestiveJack said:

It will be interesting to see what kind of figures come out about the compensation Sporting will get for Amorim. When he moved to Sporting from Braga, they set a then record for a manager's compensation/transfer fee at 15-20 million euros. That's only since been beaten by Potter to Chelsea and either Tuchel or Nagelsmann, in one of their moves.

It's been reported his buyout clause is only €10m recently

3 hours ago, Hobo said:

I suppose its representative of the present field when it comes to available managers.

I know next to nothing about him. It's probably a better option than Alonso or De Zerbi in that he's presently managing one of the biggest clubs in Portugal, in a city with two big clubs, and could very well go out having won them two league titles.

I  can't remember if it was Edwards or Julian Ward who were big into Portuguese football but it also tracks with Liverpool's recent frequent forays into buying from that league.

That would be Julian Ward! I agree he's better than De Zerbi, and stylistically he's a much better fit than how Xabi Alonso sets Leverkusen up. Hopefully it is a success. 

1 hour ago, METALMAN said:

I guess the other thing is any summer the Liverpool job would be a huge vacancy but this summer it will just be one of many and perhaps not as alluring as Real or Bayern jobs

Real Madrid is not an open job this summer, nor is Carlo expected to get sacked this season. He's done a really good job managing all their injuries this season. 

It is mad when really you have the Barca/Bayern/Liverpool jobs available and then potentially Man Utd, Juve if Allegri does go this summer as rumoured. Its not often you get so many big name clubs having jobs available (in terms of statute not necessarily where they are atm) especially if people leave other clubs to pursue any of the above

12 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

It is mad when really you have the Barca/Bayern/Liverpool jobs available and then potentially Man Utd, Juve if Allegri does go this summer as rumoured. Its not often you get so many big name clubs having jobs available (in terms of statute not necessarily where they are atm) especially if people leave other clubs to pursue any of the above

Allegri is not leaving. Juve genuinely cannot afford to sack him because of how much he makes, and he's too arrogant to ever step aside on his own. It's insane how poorly run Juve are. Highest paid coach and by far the highest payroll, only to play awful, Mourinho like football, with just a shade better of results from modern day failure Mourinho 

• Admin

Burnley manager Vincent Kompany has been handed a two-match touchline suspension following his red card against Chelsea on 30 March.

He will serve a one-game ban immediately, with the other match suspended until the end of the year.

Kompany was dismissed for protesting against a penalty decision that led to Lorenz Assignon being sent off.

The Belgian later said the standard of refereeing in this season's Premier League "hasn't been good enough".

The former Manchester City captain, 38,who admitted the charge of misconduct, has also been fined £10,000.

The Clarets host Brighton at Turf Moor on Saturday, when Kompany will serve his one-game ban.