Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

28 minutes ago, FLiam said:

I said this the other week but I don’t understand why anyone other than City are being talked about as potential champions.

I get that at this point of the season it’s encouraging to see three teams this close at the top but look at City’s fixtures. They’re not dropping any points for the remainder of the season - I don’t see it.

Probably because three teams are within two points of the top. It'd be ridiculous to claim Liverpool and Arsenal don't have a great shot at winning the league as well.

8 minutes ago, Adam said:

Probably because three teams are within two points of the top. It'd be ridiculous to claim Liverpool and Arsenal don't have a great shot at winning the league as well.

I mean, yes and no.

City’s remaining fixtures are Luton, Wolves and West Ham at home with Brighton, Fulham and Forest away. Realistically I can’t see them dropping any - except perhaps at Brighton? 

We have Villa, Chelsea, Bournemouth and Everton at home whilst we still have to go to Brighton, Spurs, Wolves and United. So many more banana skins there for us. 

I’ll obviously remain hopeful until it’s not mathematically possible, but City are too much of a juggernaut (with the asterisk of 115 PL charges hanging over their heads). 

City are relentless, they know how to string the wins together, but they could slip up in any fixture. They've already lost to Wolves this season for instance, and neither Fulham or Forest will be easy away trips.

People always do it at this stage of the season - they look at the fixture list and go "they've got nothing to play for so they'll win" etc. It's just not how football works. Look at Palace famously drawing 3-3 with Liverpool in the run-in all those years ago now.

All this to say - Arsenal and Liverpool have every chance of doing it, they're both playing well and have plenty of threatening players in good form.

• Like 2

I really hope this is Everton turning a corner. It's a shame Luton but the psychological boost it'll give to have actually won a bloody game is huge.

After Chelsea away next Monday, there's three home games in a week - Brentford, Liverpool and Forest - that could make or break the season.

Liverpool weren't clinical enough for the second time in a month against United and it cost them.

3 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

They've already been using the RNG to pick which players they’re going to sign.

This is an insult to all those hours Todd Boehly spent scrolling through Arsenal transfer rumour tweets.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

If Chelsea replaced their manager with some kind of Random Number Generator, I'm not sure it would necessarily produce worse results.

It was nice of Pochettino to send Badiashile and Casadei on just in time for them to both contribute to Sheffield Utd's late equaliser :shifty:

I hope Casadei has an appearances clause in his contract that gives these three minute cameos of depression and failure some value to him, otherwise it's very unfair for Chelsea to involve him in this suffering for no real reason.

• Like 1

Whilst the untimely passing of Joe Kinnear will put the successes of his playing and managerial career in the spotlight, I'm sure none of us will ever forget the true highlight of his time in football; his media appearances whilst at Newcastle. Who can forget such legendary moments as 'Yohan Kebab' or

"Which one of you is Simon Bird?"
"Me."
"You're a cunt."

• Like 6

Whilst I still think it's a complete mess and PSR needs reworking immediately, I'm glad it remains in our hands to stay up despite the deductions. We have to win a few more games and survive, and then go from there with hopefully the takeover and the state of PSR/FFP.

The bit that I don't quite get is that this is for overspending in 2022/23 (I.e. last season), so why did the previous deduction kick in this season and not last where it would have relegated Everton? Is it just that they're only just implementing these rules?