World Cup 2010 Thread

I must admit, it's alot funnier when it's not your country that gets fucked over by a handball. :lol:

I feel for Gyann though, it took some balls to step up again in the shoot-out.

I have Uruguay in my work sweepstake. I'm happy. And that last penalty was just a giant kick in the nuts.

But Suarez should be banned from the semi and the final/3rd place match. And it opens up a can of worms about a "penalty goal" rule...

I'm all for an attempt at implementing a 'penalty goal' rule, similar to rugby's penalty try. Ghana were absolutely robbed there.

will you still be going on about Thierry Henry's handball on your deathbed? :P

I actually tried not to mention the incident outright, so I think I'm beginning to recover. :D

Edited by The Cool One

I have Uruguay in my work sweepstake. I'm happy. And that last penalty was just a giant kick in the nuts.

But Suarez should be banned from the semi and the final/3rd place match. And it opens up a can of worms about a "penalty goal" rule...

I'm all for an attempt at implementing a 'penalty goal' rule, similar to rugby's penalty try. Ghana were absolutely robbed there.

You can't really give a goal when no goal has been scored. Yes it was definitely going to be a goal, but it never crossed the line and thus would be unfair to give a goal.

Ghana were not robbed, Suarez and his team received the punishment signified in the laws of the game, and Ghana did not capitalise.

• Like 3

You can't really give a goal when no goal has been scored. Yes it was definitely going to be a goal, but it never crossed the line and thus would be unfair to give a goal.

Ghana were not robbed, Suarez and his team received the punishment signified in the laws of the game, and Ghana did not capitalise.

Why not? Rugby does that exact thing with the concept of a penalty try.

Uruguay didn't screw Ghana, Ghana screwed themselves. If you are missing from twelve yards (Three times, no less!) then you deserve to get knocked out. Now Ghana have their own Chris Waddle.

Exactly, fair play to Suarez, he put himself on the line to give a nation a chance, now he'll miss what will probably be the only chance to play a WC SF and his tournament is likely over.

Though I've got a sneaky feeling Uruguay could actually win this.

I know there's talk of anything committed inside the box will result in a penalty only and no card, unless it's for violent conduct. Then there would be more of a cry for something like a 'penalty goal' if someone handled on the line, didn't get sent off and the peno was missed.

Bwahaha, nice one. It's a shame Torres has been off form, imagine how lethal Spain would be if they had both Torres AND Villa up front. I kinda think they'll start Llorente this time round though.

It'll be a one game ban I suspect. It wasn't violent conduct.

Apparently FIFA thinks otherwise (according to The Sun)

FIFA have confirmed that Uruguay striker Luis Suarez could miss the rest of the World Cup following his hand-ball against Ghana.

Suarez was given a straight red card for saving a goalbound-header on the line in extra-time.

Ghana missed the resulting penalty and Uruguay went through to the semi-final after winning a shoot-out.

The Ajax forward will serve an automatic one-match ban ruling him out of the semi-final with Holland.

But FIFA's disciplinary committee will look at the case to see whether he should also be suspended for Uruguay's last match of the tournament — which will be either the final or the third-place play-off.

FIFA spokesman Pekka Odriozola said: "For automatic red cards there is an automatic one-match suspension.

"The disciplinary committee also opens a case and they will be looking at that incident and taking a decision."

FIFA's disciplinary code gives the committee the option of a longer ban for "unsportsmanlike conduct".

Suarez is being hailed as a hero in his home country but the incident has provoked condemnation in other parts of the world.

His action is also contrary to FIFA's fair play code which states: "Winning is without value if victory has been achieved unfairly or dishonestly.

"Cheating is easy, but brings no pleasure"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/worldcup2010/3040225/FIFA-may-extend-Suarez-ban.html

Fuck off. Ghana had their chance to score but missed the penalty. They then had their chance to win on penalties but failed.

So they pick now to clamp down on cheating? And anyway, its only cheating if you get away with it, he got sent off so he paid the price. How about booking all the players that have dived during the previous games perhaps? Diving is much worse than a deliberate handball in my opinion.

The one problem I noticed with Ghana (and many other African teams actually) is that when the going gets tough... their players will often shoot from a rediculous way out in order to try and be a hero and win the game by themselves.

Sometimes it works (see Muntari :D) sometimes it doesn't (see the thousands of shots blasted at the ceilings)

I just get a slight feeling that Gyan was being a little bit cocky with his penalty, he didn't focus too much about his aim... he just wanted it to rocket in so he'd be seen as a national hero for nearly breaking the net with the winning penalty.