Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

Were you not paying attention during that whole Graeme Souness thing? Cause we did that then too :P

I've been fortunate in the sense that I've seen us win the FA Cup and League Cup several times, Seen us win a Champions League, get to a final and have several good runs in the competition and also win a Uefa Cup while I have been alive so I can't complain about that.

I've also been unfortunate that I have not seen us win the league :(

Its just weird being a team that was consistently in the top 4 and now stuck in a transitional period and likely to stay in the area they are now for several years to come and having seen teams like City and Tottenham building themselves up and overtake you at the same time.

I've been fortunate in the sense that I've seen us win the FA Cup and League Cup several times, Seen us win a Champions League, get to a final and have several good runs in the competition and also win a Uefa Cup while I have been alive so I can't complain about that.

I've also been unfortunate that I have not seen us win the league :(

Its just weird being a team that was consistently in the top 4 and now stuck in a transitional period and likely to stay in the area they are now for several years to come and having seen teams like City and Tottenham building themselves up and overtake you at the same time.

And Newcastle. Jose Enrique, we're in the top five!

• Admin
The 23-year-old was the subject of interest from major clubs from around the world after impressing this season for the Bundesliga champions. However, Sir Alex Ferguson moved quickly to secure the signing of the Japan midfielder.

Kagawa is now eagerly anticipating getting started for the Red Devils and insists he wants to carve out his own legacy at Old Trafford after turning down the chance to wear the famed No.7 shirt once donned with such distinction by George Best, David Beckham, and Cristiano Ronaldo.

United's latest signing announced the decision in an impromptu press conference at Tokyo's Narita Airport following a whirlwind trip to England.

In addition to a flock of journalists, the Japan international was greeted by 100 fans seeking autographs and handshakes.

"I've just joined the team and haven't accomplished anything yet," Kagawa said after the 12-hour flight. "I want to make a name for myself [at United] on my own terms."

Kagawa further elaborated that he had asked for a number with personal meaning, leading to speculation among Japanese media that the player could wear the 8, 26, or 29 he once wore at Cerezo Osaka, or the 23 shirt that brought him fame at Dortmund.

"I don't know which numbers are free," Kagawa coyly told reporters. "I gave them my requests, but they aren't as important a number [as No. 7]"

Despite the rigorous travel schedule, the Samurai Blue star still appeared excited after finally putting pen to paper on the move.

"The contract was as long as I'd expected from a club [like United]," Kagawa laughed. "When I was at [Old Trafford], I thought about how incredible it would be if I could score there."

Spurs are trying to steal that Icelandic guy away before Liverpool can sign him. Mwahahahaha.

..........you don't deserve him with fans like you.

Gylfi Sigurdsson doesn't deserve to be named while he's still linked with Liverpool. :pervert:

Gylfi can do no wrong! Besides, he will return to Reading..... :unsure:

• Admin
QPR have fined Joey Barton six weeks' wages and stripped him of the club's captaincy over his conduct in their defeat by Manchester City on the final day of the Premier League season.

The club held an internal investigation into Barton's sending off and his actions following his red card.

In a statement, Barton said: "My behaviour was wrong and I accept the punishment imposed upon me."

The Football Association banned Barton, 29, for 12 games over the incident.

Barton was sent off for an off-the ball clash with City striker Carlos Tevez at Etihad Stadium on 13 May but was involved in further clashes with Sergio Aguero and Vincent Kompany before leaving the pitch.

He was found guilty of two counts of violent conduct by the FA and also fined £75,000.

QPR have reached an agreement with Barton that, if he seriously breaches the club's disciplinary procedures again, they reserve the right to terminate his contract.

Barton, who was arrested for affray earlier this month following a night out in Liverpool with his girlfriend, will be absent from QPR's pre-season tour of Asia in July.

The former Manchester City and Newcastle midfielder added on Twitter: "I was reckless and deserved every punishment I received.

"Money comes and goes, it's not important to me. Losing the captaincy and missing 12 games is what really hurts. I was stupid and that what happens when you do dumb things.

"I am confident I'll bounce back."

QPR chief executive Philip Beard said in a statement: "It was important that we took our time to make sure we came to the correct decision, which I believe we have achieved.

"Joey's behaviour, which led to his red card at Manchester City, and his subsequent actions were completely unacceptable and we have made our feelings on this matter known to him.

"I am really pleased with the way in which the club and Joey have worked towards reaching a sensible conclusion and we fully believe he will respond to these sanctions in the correct manner."

Spurs are trying to steal that Icelandic guy away before Liverpool can sign him. Mwahahahaha.

Gylfi Sigurdsson doesn't deserve to be named while he's still linked with Liverpool. :pervert:

..and score against them.

• Like 1

• Admin
John Terry's legal team might make a bad character application against Anton Ferdinand during his racism trial, a court has heard.

The ex-England captain, 31, will stand trial at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 9 July accused of a racially-aggravated public order offence.

Mr Terry's barrister, George Carter-Stephenson QC, has now said he is considering making the application.

Bad character applications are used to cast doubt on a witness' evidence.

The trial relates to a comment allegedly made and caught on camera to the Queens Park Rangers defender when the two teams played last October.

According to the Crown Prosecution Service, "bad character" in criminal proceedings means "evidence of or a disposition towards misconduct".

Mr Carter-Stephenson said: "There is likely to be an application for bad character against Mr Ferdinand about two incidents."

No details were given about what these incidents were.

..and score against them.

If he didnt come back then I wouldn't doubt for a minute he'd score against us. Quality player.

Didn't Anton Ferdinand admit to not having heard the 'incident' and the first he knew about it was someone telling him about the lip-synch video? I swear that was in some newspaper at the time.

• Admin
Manchester United will play Barcelona in a pre-season friendly in Gothenburg on 8 August.

The pair have met each other in two of the previous four Champions League finals, with Barcelona winning both.

They last met in a friendly in Washington DC last summer, with United winning 2-1.

The fixture will be Tito Vilanova's first experience of United as Barcelona's new coach after taking the reins from Pep Guardiola.

Both sides finished second in their respective leagues last season, with United losing their Premier League title to Manchester City and Real Madrid pipping Barcelona.

It will be only the second time United have played in Gothenburg and will be the fourth leg of a world pre-season tour that also includes matches in South Africa, China and Norway.

United chief executive David Gill said: "Manchester United against Barcelona is one of the top fixtures in world football and we are delighted to work with GotEvent to bring this match to the beautiful city of Gothenburg.

"We have a large following throughout Scandinavia and it's great that this match will form part of our preparations for the new season."