2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I read that the D.C. city council wants to force the Washington Redskins into becoming the Washing Redtails, after the Tuskegee Airmen. If that happens, I don't think I want to live on this planet any more.

Yes, because a name based on an offensive stereotype is much better

Did I say that? No. I'm actually for a name change, but not one as corny as that. Thanks for the smart remark though.

Edited by HeadCheese

So I read that the D.C. city council wants to force the Washington Redskins into becoming the Washing Redtails, after the Tuskegee Airmen. If that happens, I don't think I want to live on this planet any more.

Yes, because a name based on an offensive stereotype is much better

The Redskins' name being offensive comes up every few years. I think the proper solution if they ever do change the team's name (and I don't see it happening) would be to go back to the helmets with the spear head logo and call the team the Washington Warriors. It keeps the Indian motif without keeping an offensive name.

Yes because being identified as spear-carrying savage warriors is not offensive at all.

Paul Lukas had a great article about Native American imagery and names in sports a few months back.

Also I think the Tuskegee Airmen are some of the greatest Americans whoever lived. I think whether or not it would be properly honoring them to name a sports team after them is up to the surviving members and the families of the deceased ones. I would be in favor of it and think it would be a great name for any team. I always feel like sports nicknames are a great opportunity to represent a part of the culture or history of a city, state, region, or the country. It's why names like the Memphis Grizzlies or Arizona Cardinals just sound boring or nonsensical to me whereas names like the Green Bay Packers, Baltimore Orioles, and New York Islanders I think are excellent.

• Like 2

Is the UFL still a thing? Tebow could go there.

edit: No, it's not. I guess he's fucked then.

Apparently the Omaha Beef of some indoor league offered him a contract...$75 a game.

And yes, I had the same thooughts about the whole spear thing..giving a game played by a large african american percentage the chance to be referred to by some idiots as the "Washington Spearchuckers" isn't a good thing either. Going with something to honor the Tuskegee Airmen is a much better idea. "Hey, we're gonna turn this negative into a positive" kind of thing

If they are going to be forced to change their name then the entire logo/mascot/imagery related to Native Americans surely has to go. Keeping it 'similar' or whatever is going to cause the same amount of offence. They're going to need a total rebrand.

I favour the idea of them giving a nod to what Washington means to wider America, in the same vein as the Washington Capitals.

A lot of the Skins fans I know get so defensive about the name too. It's like changing the name to something else would adversely affect the quality of the players on their team. Some guy actually did tell me it would hurt the amount of fans they have because "a lot of people will think it's a new team" and as a result the established Redskins fans won't root for this new team... or something.

It's a good marketing decision to change the name and logo since fans will have to all buy new merchandise by the boatload.

To be fair, most people thought Geno was pretty much a lock to go in the first round. The feeling was that despite a weak QB class, teams who desperately needed one (Jags, Raiders, Bills) would still take one but it just didn't pan out that way. And he still would've gone in the 1st round if Bills hadn't surprised everyone and taken EJ Manuel instead of Geno.

Surprise that they didn't take Geno ? They were never interested in Geno and had been heavily scouting/working out/looking into Manuel.

Meh the Nassib talk was all BS being generated by Kiper though. It's clear the guy was nowhere near a 1st rounder and the hype leading up to the draft was obviously manufactured.

Meh the Nassib talk was all BS being generated by Kiper though. It's clear the guy was nowhere near a 1st rounder and the hype leading up to the draft was obviously manufactured.

Kiper gets accused of that a lot--Akili Smith being the primary example--though I have a tough time fully connecting the dots.

It's a good marketing decision to change the name and logo since fans will have to all buy new merchandise by the boatload.

This will be offset by the cost of changing all their branding across the board. Stadium changes, stationary changes, training complex changes. That is a massive cost for an organisation the size of the Redskins. They'll still end up with a profit but it won't be huge.