The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

Why would Ben Thatcher be in a Fergie XI?

I confused him with someone else. I can't remember who now. :shifty:

Ben Thornley?

That's the one!

Also Kevin Pilkington.

Yeah and he's apparently player/Goalkeeping Coach at Notts County and is only 39. I thought he'd be way older by now.

I just remember him mostly from USM2 where United were the only team in the game that seemed to have three keepers.

I have met John O'Kane, when he was on loan at Bury on a trip around the place. None of the kids at my brother's party believed my mum when she told them that he played for United. He looked sad.

• Like 1

• Admin

Jose Mourinho has told BBC Sport that winning the Europa League would be a "big disappointment" for him - only a few months after Chelsea won the cup.

Last season, the Blues were knocked out of the Champions League at the group stage but went on to defeat Benfica in May's Europa League final.
"I don't want to win the Europa League," said the Chelsea manager.
"It would be a big disappointment for me. I don't want my players to feel the Europa League is our competition."
Mourinho led Porto to Uefa Cup success in 2003 with a victory over Celtic, but the Portuguese boss insists the Champions League is one of this season's main targets after former Blues boss Rafael Benitez guided the Blues to automatic qualification in May.

"That's the only European competition we have to play and that's the European competition we have to give our best," Mourinho, who won the Champions League with Porto in 2004 and Inter Milan in 2010, told BBC Sport's Richard Conway.
Mourinho is also targeting more Premier League success with Chelsea after guiding the Blues to league glory twice during his first spell at Stamford Bridge.
"The most important thing in football is to be the best team in the season and try to win your domestic league," he said.
"In our case, it's the most important league in Europe, so we have to try and be the best team and win the Premier League."
The former Real Madrid manager has also told his squad that status does not matter when it comes to team selection.
Defender John Terry, 32, and Frank Lampard, 35, were key members of the team during Mourinho's first Chelsea reign, but he insists no one is guaranteed their place.
"I don't care about the passport, I don't care about the date of their birth, I just care about performance," he said.
"If they are better than the young guys, then they play. If the young guys are better than them, they don't play.

"But the way they are working is amazing. These guys, they know they have to give everything and don't expect that status chooses the line-up."
Meanwhile, Mourinho has vowed to do everything he can to help Fernando Torres back to his best, but admits the ultimate responsibility lies with the 29-year-old striker, who moved to Chelsea from Liverpool for £50m in 2011.
"Good players in big clubs, they are always under this pressure," said Mourinho.
"The only thing I can promise is that I give everything to my players and I try my best to perform the best I can. He will get from me that support that a striker needs to feel more confident.
"But, at the end of the day, it's up to them and is their responsibility. Fernando has to cope with that."
On the issue of strikers, Mourinho reiterated his admiration for Wayne Rooney, who has been the subject of recent transfer speculation.
Manchester United manager David Moyes insists Rooney is not for sale but says he is no longer the number one striker at Old Trafford in light of Robin van Persie's performances last season.
Mourinho believes that poses a problem for England and manager Roy Hodgson ahead of next year's World Cup in Brazil.
"If Wayne is a second choice for Man Utd, then the national team will be affected," said Mourinho.

Video.

Are you sure it doesn't mean he's stuck the Europa League trophy in the corner of his office so he can take a quick piss if he's caught short?

Are you sure it doesn't mean he's stuck the Europa League trophy in the corner of his office so he can take a quick piss if he's caught short?

Everyone else does!