2014 NFL Offseason Thread

Lint

Rex took someone that was rated low really high either last year or the year before. I think they kind of just go with who they want, when they want.

And nooooooo. Watt to the Chargers. I have to root against him now. :(

Yeah, but CB Marcus Roberson is still available. Just sort of makes me scratch my head and go, "Ooookay?"

Edit: Finally, after getting home from work. I was able to do some homework (film, pro day results, draft analysis) on CB McDougle. I actually do approve of the pick, just not of the round he was picked in. The guy has great speed, instincts and leadership. The Terps created an award named after him for crying out loud. Durability is a *big* issue though. After the resurgence of LaRon Landry with his time in NY. I think the trainers could help McDougle a lot in staying healthy.

In Rex/Idzik We Trust, I guess?

I fully expect the Jets to target a WR early in Day 3. They still have 9 picks left, by the way.

I'm very happy with the Lions draft thus far, which is a rarity for me (though I did like last years draft, actually I'll get into that). I don't need to harp on this, but everybody knows I did not want Ebron initially. After reading a bit about him, and factoring in who had been drafted and who was left, it wasn't a bad pick. One of our beat writers had a good article on how Ebron should help Calvin as much as he helps Stafford.

I love the pick of Kyle Van Noy, that's obvious. He's a guy I had hoped the Lions would get even last season, and check it out, we actually did. I mentioned that the trade to move up wasn't a bad one at all, we swapped second rounders with Seattle, gave them a fourth, and a seventh, in return they tossed us a fifth rounder. Not bad at all, and I really do think he would have been gone by the time our pick came up. Some of our typically bitchy fans think we overpaid, but did we really? We have three fourth rounders, gave up our highest one, and got a fifth in return. I can't be happier about that. Oh by the way, not only was he Ziggy Ansah's teammate, but also his roommate when they were at BYU together. I like that he already has a mentor (which is funny because he was Ziggy's mentor at BYU) and a guy he should already have chemistry with. I expect him to start week 1.

I like that we went and got our center for next year (Travis Swanson). A lot of fans again are bitching and screaming that we didn't get a CB, but how the fuck can any football fan be upset about an offensive line pick? I've always believed that you can never have too many good offensive lineman, and when you're current center is 35, and has said he will only play one more season, doesn't it make sense to get his replacement now so that he can learn and be groomed? Perhaps they could have gone in a different direction here, but I have trust in our offensive line coach and think he may have had something to say about this pick. It would have to be a significant reach for me to bitch about drafting an offensive lineman (and honestly, I feel the same about defensive lineman, gotta constantly build those trenches), so I do like this pick even if this guy isn't going to start this year. And do you know why I really like this pick? Mel Kiper was underwhelmed by him, that leads me to believe he's going to be great.

What do I expect from the Lions tomorrow? Probably continue with the best player available mantra that Mayhew has harped on during his tenure as GM. I could easily see the two fourths and fifths being a WR, CB, and QB. The QB pick may not happen, it's not completely necessary, but I get the indication that they might want to groom a back up with Shaun Hill leaving via free agency. Also, I wont be shocked if our 6th rounder is a kicker. We really don't have any kickers in camp right now, so the possibility of getting a good kicker in the sixth round is very high. We used a fifth rounder on a punter last year and it worked out very well for us.

• Like 1

Aaron Colvin tore his ACL during the Senior Bowl practices, so it's highly unlikely that he'll be able to play until 2015. He would have been a second-round prospect had he stayed healthy, so the Jaguars are getting some value here and doing their best 49ers impersonation. They still need corner help though because Colvin won't be able to play right away.

Logan Thomas is a very intriguing pick. Talent wise, I doubt there's a better QB in this draft, but he has been a complete mess in college with INTs and general inconsistency. He's a big project for Bruce Arians to fix, but if he does then Arizona just drafted their QB of the future. He could go either way.

Edited by Mofoticon