The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

"That was a great move by Wolfsburg, but I can't see why Bendtner decided to...karate kick that towards goal, rather than head it."

Because he's Bendtner, that's why

:lol:

• Like 3

For all you know Peter Crouch could be hitting Charlie Adam with multiple german suplexes at training

Edited by David Marrio

It's probably the same as how Liverpool played a Malaysia XI last week. I don't know if that's the same as the national team though.

It's been going on for years. Due to not having a reasonable opponent after doing the double Spurs ended up playing England in the '61 charity shield - okay debatable if we'd call that a friendly but it was pre season. I'm sure there will be plenty of other examples but that's the first one off the top of my head. If only there was a historian around to look some others up - employed or otherwise :shifty:

City just beat Vietnam 8-1 in a friendly. Two each for Sterling, Kolarov and Silva, and a goal each for Lopes and Pozo.

Since when was playing countries in pre-season a thing?

We beat Wales 2-1 once upon a time.

• Like 1

The commentator kept mentioning that it was the national team, and there wasn't an XI in the team name. I wonder if the Vietnam players get capped for it.

Ages ago, Bury played the Pakistan national team in a friendly and 3-0 iirc.

• Admin

José Mourinho found time in his post-match press conference to attack Rafael Benítez, the Real Madrid coach, after Benítez’s wife teased Mourinho by saying he left a mess at the Bernabéu that her husband will have to clean up.

There is little love lost between Mourinho and Benítez, and the dislike will only fester even further after the Chelsea manager launched a withering riposte following his side’s 4-2 penalty shootout victory over Barcelona in Washington.

Benítez has coached Mourinho’s former teams three times: at Inter, Chelsea, and now Real Madrid, and Montserrat Seara, Benítez’s wife, poked fun at the Portuguese coach in the Galician newspaper La Region.

“Real are the third of José Mourinho’s old teams [that] Rafa has coached,” she joked. “We tidy up his messes! If you think about it, of course you end up crossing paths. There are only a few world-class clubs out there.”

But Mourinho said: “The lady is a bit confused, with all respect. I’m not laughing, because her husband went to Chelsea to replace Roberto Di Matteo and he went to Real Madrid and replaced Carlo Ancelotti.

“The only club where her husband replaced me was at Inter Milan, where in six months he destroyed the best team in Europe at the time.

“And for her also to think about me and to speak about me, I think she needs to occupy her time, and if she takes care of her husband’s diet she will have less time to speak about me.”

:lol:

• Like 6

Starting to remember why I don't usually go to local cheap pre-season games. So far seen the obvious man in just jeans and toon shirt (it's tanking down and we're in an uncovered terrace), the couple with 3 kids under 4 (with one about 6 months old strapped to dad) and some casual racist abuse. Roll on the start of the season.