I think it'll be good for the horror stuff like Resi and Outlast at the very least. I've used an oculus before and the demo was designed to scare. The graphics were very crude but the use of sound and peripheral vision was enough to shit you up. So a well budgeted effort should be good. 

That said, the idea of being in an x-wing cockpit had me exited. I guess it's gonna be a wait and see for a lot of stuff though. 

I'm really excited for VR, but not as much for video games for whatever reason. I think it's going to have great applications for stuff like live theater and music, and someone somewhere is going to come up with a great idea for scripted entertainment using it. Of course, the only VR game I played was basically a jet pack-themed demo that was kind of fun but obviously nowhere near where they want to head. Eventually if committed to I bet it could get to an MMO-like experience that could be pretty cool, though. Still, "it's this franchise BUT IT'S ALSO VR" is probably going to be a hard pass for a good while; the only franchise that immediately comes to mind where I'd be down is Pokemon.

• Like 3

I wasn't 100% sure, then I got my boyfriend the one for the Galaxy because I couldn't think of anything else to get him. Just watching a youtube video where you're under water surrounded by sharks was enough to sell me on it. In reality your brain is pretty stupid and it doesn't take too much to actually feel like you're there rather than sitting with a mask on your face.

Having tried it I totally get it. I'm not really interested in horror games though, I'd much rather something more interactive and imaginative. 

• Like 2

The only reason I am at all interested in getting a VR headset, is so that I don't need to buy a larger television for gaming. Playstation VR works with any game, so I can play MLB The Show on what equates to a virtual 200 inch screen. Sure beats the 40 inch TV that I'm playing on now, but that is completely sufficient for film and television viewing.

I think the price tag on VR is going to make it slow going for consoles, especially with them launching around the same time as upgraded versions of the consoles themselves. It's an exciting time to be a part of the industry, but I'm personally not super excited about the new things coming. I just want video games as I know them. I'm too old for change.

6 hours ago, Gabriel said:

The only reason I am at all interested in getting a VR headset, is so that I don't need to buy a larger television for gaming. Playstation VR works with any game, so I can play MLB The Show on what equates to a virtual 200 inch screen. Sure beats the 40 inch TV that I'm playing on now, but that is completely sufficient for film and television viewing.

I think the price tag on VR is going to make it slow going for consoles, especially with them launching around the same time as upgraded versions of the consoles themselves. It's an exciting time to be a part of the industry, but I'm personally not super excited about the new things coming. I just want video games as I know them. I'm too old for change.

I'd be a bit weary. I don't imagine that Sony VR is going to be better than the Vive and Rift (it could be, but the price makes it seem unlikely). Reportedly both of those have issues when you try and read writing and stuff in the distance can be quite blurry/occluded and artifacting on anything really bright (or against white). So whilst you can use it to play any game, I'm not 100% sure how that's actually going to look. 

13 hours ago, Quom said:

I wasn't 100% sure, then I got my boyfriend the one for the Galaxy because I couldn't think of anything else to get him. Just watching a youtube video where you're under water surrounded by sharks was enough to sell me on it. In reality your brain is pretty stupid and it doesn't take too much to actually feel like you're there rather than sitting with a mask on your face.

Having tried it I totally get it. I'm not really interested in horror games though, I'd much rather something more interactive and imaginative. 

Ooh, a nightmare simulator. Take all my money.

On 15/06/2016 at 00:47, Cactus Drags said:

I'm starting to think I'm getting too old for gaming. I just don't get any of the hype for the vr stuff. I don't want to have some gadget strapped to my face. 

I grew tired of physical motion gaming with the Wii. Some stuff sounds fun, but I play games to relax, VR is absolutely not going to be for me. That's to take nothing away from it, for some folks it'll be great, but it is just not my thing.

• Like 1