Premier League 2016/17

Lineker

It's one of my favourite grounds in the top flight even though I've never been, it's a shame but I will make sure I get to the new WHL when it's done.

I'm so pleased they're winning today as well, especially as it means that United losing to Ajax will make this season a categoric failure.

I would happily have watched two more hours of random Spurs players being brought out.

"He was at the Lane for three seasons and only played six times at left back, but he had gorgeous hair, Paolo Tramezzani!"

• Like 3

A damn rainbow showed up exactly when the ceremony ended.

That was so much fun. Loved seeing all the old players. Townsend was somewhere in the stands too, and supposedly Sigurdsson as well. Hopefully I'll make up for not ever going to the Lane by visiting the new one.

• Like 2

Hull, if you get beat twice off Sunderland AND fail to score against us this season, you absolutely deserve to go down with us. Feel sorry for Silva to be fair, he gave them half a chance to stay up, they probably would have been fine had he came in earlier. I heard he actually applied for the job when Bruce walked but was dismissed because he was unkown. 

9 hours ago, Baddar said:

Don't care a fuck what door we use tbh. 

Equally though, quarter of a million quid and we aren't challenging for the title? Performances and results both in the league this season haven't been good enough - and any other manager wouldn't get nearly as much slack as Jose is getting.

6 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Equally though, quarter of a million quid and we aren't challenging for the title? Performances and results both in the league this season haven't been good enough - and any other manager wouldn't get nearly as much slack as Jose is getting.

I agree, it hasn't been good enough. Still think he should get another year though! 

I don't think we've been so far behind because of the 2-1 loss at home to City, or the draws with Liverpool - it's been the failure to take chances in games against Stoke, Burnley etc, games we should have won comfortably. Sounds a bit like Nerf's "if we'd scored instead of hit the post" excuse from a few years back, but still, there are signs there that give me confidence. I'm not ready to hit the reset button with a new manager who has 12 months to completely shape the squad how he wants it. It'd send us around in circles. Give Jose another summer, and if we're still out of the top four this time next season, then look at sacking him. 

22 minutes ago, Baddar said:

I agree, it hasn't been good enough. Still think he should get another year though! 

I don't think we've been so far behind because of the 2-1 loss at home to City, or the draws with Liverpool - it's been the failure to take chances in games against Stoke, Burnley etc, games we should have won comfortably. Sounds a bit like Nerf's "if we'd scored instead of hit the post" excuse from a few years back, but still, there are signs there that give me confidence. I'm not ready to hit the reset button with a new manager who has 12 months to completely shape the squad how he wants it. It'd send us around in circles. Give Jose another summer, and if we're still out of the top four this time next season, then look at sacking him. 

Surely the precedent has been set though? If you don't win the Europa League, he has to go. Moyes and LvG both had their heads on the chopping block for not making Top 4, and LvG won a trophy too so that's not enough. And honestly, I know United fans say otherwise, but I'd take last season's results & performances over this if I were a Manc. Neither are acceptable for a club of United's stature though. If Mourinho can't challenge for the title with this squad, it's a failure. There's no other way of dressing it up.

I think he's done about as well as to be expected, I don't see the current Man Utd, for all people harp on about how much it cost to assemble, as being good enough or deep enough to challenge for the title. They don't have a second choice right back of sufficient quality, Smalling and Bailly hardly fill you with confidence, Jones is never fit, Rojo is a liability and no one will ever convince me Daley Blind is a centre back. Darmian and Shaw haven't even come close to fulfilling expectations and it's clear Jose doesn't trust Shaw in the slightest. Their midfield is perpetually imbalanced because they've only got water carriers (Carrick / Herrera) or number 10's (Pogba, Mata, Rooney, Mkhi) with no one who can play that box to box / destroyer role as the third in the three. You play the two water carriers and you've got no attacking threat, you play two of the 10's and you've got no defensive cover. Elbows has basically given up playing actual football. Martial is a flop, Lingard isn't going to win you titles, Rashford is still young, unlike Young and sandwiching Zlatan in at all costs forces you to play a certain way.

Frankly, with the odd exception, Man Utd's recruitment since Ferguson left has been absolute guff in terms of value for money and building a functioning squad, that can't be blamed on Mourinho, he's just the one having to deal with it.

• Like 1

Agree with most of what you said. Martial as a "flop" is a tad harsh. He's inconsistent and needs a proper run in the team I think, but he's 21 after all, so I'd happily give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'd love to see an improvement from the likes of Lingard but I feel he won't go past the level he's playing now. The difference between him and someone like Dele Alli is frightening, and Alli is much younger.