2016 NFL Season

Schlitzbrille

6 hours ago, Meacon said:

With an honorable mention to Kyle Shanahan's terrible fourth quarter play calling.

I didn't see the game, but my understanding is they probably could have ran the ball and kicked??

I never understand why coaches go away from the run when the right thing to do is to play it safe.

4 hours ago, AMERICAngle2017 said:

How come in baseball, hockey and basketball playoffs, it comes down to best-of-7-series but in football its all decided by one freakin' game?

This is equivalent to the Yankees winning the World Series or the Lakers winning the NBA Finals. You just expect it to happen because its happened so many times before, but cheer like hell for an underdog to come through and knock them off anyway. Screw the Patriots.

Because mother fuckers would die in a best of seven in the NFL.

• Like 1

I thought 21-3 was an easy thing to comeback from with 2 quarters to go and 2 of those scores being the results of turnovers. I, however, did not think 28-3 was something New England could overcome. I wasn't really shocked when they started inching closer, but they needed everything to go right for them that last quarter and it did.

And, yeah, the most-watched football game shining a light on the deeply flawed OT rules hopefully pushes for more change. I know you can't really adopt the college rules given how precise kickers are from the 25, but maybe use a similar concept? Ball at midfield perhaps? Just gotta take the chance for the game to be decided by a coin toss away.

• Like 1

I was rooting for the Falcons, but that was an amazing game. All credit to the Pats play and play calling in that 4th quarter. Amazing stuff. I also get why Brady got the MVP, but White must've been close - three TDs (including the game winner), 14 catches for over 100 yards too.

From the perspective of a Giants fan, it does kinda suck that I can't just immediately shut down any argument with a Pats fan by saying "18-1" and calling it a day.  Even after the Seattle Super Bowl I was able to do that.  I just figured the only way they could "make up" for it was to actually pull off a 19-0 season or defeat the 18-0 Giants in the Super Bowl.

After that game though?  I really don't think it matters to them anymore.  They got their 5th title, they've been to more Super Bowls than any other team, they got the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history, the Edelman catch ranks right up there with the Tyree catch and may well be better, the game is always going to be trumpeted as one of the best Super Bowls ever, etc.  42 and 46 might have hurt them but they're now merely a stumbling block in the grand scheme of the Patriots' Brady/Belichick-era narrative.

At least in the Giants' narrative it now makes those two wins seem even more impressive.  Only team to solve Brady in the biggest game of the year.

4 hours ago, VPNutsRoastingOnAOpenFire said:

I didn't see the game, but my understanding is they probably could have ran the ball and kicked??

Atlanta pretty much needed to get 3 points in the second half to seal it.  At one point in the 4th, they were in field goal range and instead of running it two more times, they tried to pass and protection went to shit like it had been in critical moments all game long, so they got sacked.  Then on the next play they got a holding penalty and out of field goal range they went.  

1 hour ago, #BROKEN Busch said:

At least in the Giants' narrative it now makes those two wins seem even more impressive.  Only team to solve Brady in the biggest game of the year.

Seattle had pretty much solved it, until their stupid playcalling fucked them over.  Teams really need to work on solving this whole "What do we do when we can run the ball and win the Super Bowl?" brain teaser.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, MDK said:

That is interesting. It makes sense though. I think of Football a little like chess. Lots of pausing between each big move.

Also god damn Twitter has ruined the excitement of that game for me. All sort of White Supremacist assholes coming out to say how great it is. Fuck off

42 minutes ago, New Year New Srar! said:

That is interesting. It makes sense though. I think of Football a little like chess. Lots of pausing between each big move.

I think that is exactly why I don't like American Football. It doesn't flow. I've tried to watch it but it doesn't grip me.

And I'm someone that can watch darts or snooker >_>

2 hours ago, #BROKEN Busch said:

Pats 2017 home opponents:  Bills, Chargers, Chiefs, Dolphins, Falcons, Jets, Panthers, Texans

I'll be stunned if they don't go for a Super Bowl rematch as the Week 1 Thursday Kickoff game.  That home slate already looks like 7-1 or 8-0.

I don't know. Dolphins, Chiefs, Texans, and Falcons are all playoff teams. Panthers could bounce back.

But I also see it through the eyes of a Lions fan.

4 hours ago, #BROKEN Busch said:

Pats 2017 home opponents:  Bills, Chargers, Chiefs, Dolphins, Falcons, Jets, Panthers, Texans

I'll be stunned if they don't go for a Super Bowl rematch as the Week 1 Thursday Kickoff game.  That home slate already looks like 7-1 or 8-0.

I'll be modest and say 6-2 or 7-1.  I don't think they'll sweep through KC, ATL, and CAR.

I think in the case of Carolina they're going to retool and be back next year. Atlanta is very young, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make another leap next year. KC is KC, but Andy Reid is no Bill Belichick.

AFC next year has a shot at actually being competitive though. Oakland will be even better most likely, KC is good, Pittsburgh is really good, Houston could get Romo and become an instant Super Bowl favorite, Miami has a lot of pieces I like, Von Miller can carry a team to the playoffs, and then you have the rebound candidates Cincy, Indy, and Baltimore.