2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

47 minutes ago, livid said:

Teams that fire coaches after one season don't usually experience success. 

Teams that hire subpar coordinators as head coaches don’t either. This team needs a clean reset because people that think we’re still just a quarterback away haven’t paid attention.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Teams that hire subpar coordinators as head coaches don’t either. This team needs a clean reset because people that think we’re still just a quarterback away haven’t paid attention.

Well he made his name as a position coach for the most part anyways. He'd been interviewing for HC jobs for a few years prior to being hired as the DC in Miami. He may end up being the wrong choice but you have to give him more than a year with subpar pieces.

If they were just a QB away and they were as bad as they were this season that would actually point more towards replacing him then because then it would clear that coaching was their downfall. But if they really need more pieces than just a QB their lack of success doesn't immediately fall on him. 

As someone whose team just did the yearly coach firing/hiring thing for a couple of years, I just can't get on board with encouraging it. You may end up finding the right guy like the 49ers seemingly have. Or you will be the Browns. 

Edited by livid

Ok. I’ll just wait through two more 4-12/5-11 type seasons before I bring it up again. Anyone that watched a game saw that talent wasn’t always the issue. Christ we got destroyed by a D-level Giants team because Vance was out coached by Ben fucking McAdoo. But I’ll wait.

Admittedly I haven't watched many Broncos games this year so maybe you're right.  I'm just saying, if you lack a competent QB and don't have an offensive line to protect them then maybe those are areas of bigger concern than a first year head coach. 

• Like 1

I agree, and I also agree that in most cases firing a first year head coach is a bad move, but so many things this year have pointed toward Vance Joseph not being qualified for the position. If we fix the roster and he leads us to so much as a wildcard, I’ll happily admit I’ve not a clue what I’m talking about. But there are some head coaches where you can see that you’re in store for a long ride down.

Yes/no. The plan was always for him to move into a more senior scout role but the initial plan was to let him work through his current contract but they needed to shake things up sooner than later so the timeline accelerated a bit. They also may be doing it now to avoid losing any of the guys they've been grooming to replace him. 

• Admin

The Houston Texans have hired a search firm to find a replacement for Rick Smith at general manager, a source informed of the team's plans told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport on Tuesday. There are several outside candidates that likely would receive consideration in the search. Patriots executives Nick Caserio and Monti Ossenfort along with Bills VP of player personnel Brian Gaine and Packers director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst are expected to be targeted by the search firm and team, Rapoport reported.