2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

Chiefs at times had a really good offense, so that's a plus.  

I dunno though, it feels like with Chicago's terrible field conditions they pretty much need to emphasize running the ball and playing great defense to be successful.  I don't think they are ever going to be an elite passing attack with that field.

Apparently it will take multiple first round picks for Kraft to even come to the table to consider moving Belichick.

Yeah, fuck that.  I actually would consider giving up a 2019 first rounder for him.  But I'm not giving up the #2 pick in the draft and the chance to draft a potential cornerstone franchise QB for a 65 year old coach.

Besides, Belichick acts as his own GM right now and he'd almost certainly want to retain control of player personnel.  Bringing him in would immediately be undercutting Gettleman.

And I'm not even sure the extent to which Pat Shurmer failed.  Considering the dumpster fire the Browns have been for a decade, 9-23 isn't that bad.  He, Rob Chudzinski, and Mike Pettine would've been way more deserving of additional time at the helm than Hue Jackson.

I actually think Shurmur might be my preferred choice out of all the candidates the Giants have interviewed.

17 hours ago, Buschoru Suzuki said:

Apparently it will take multiple first round picks for Kraft to even come to the table to consider moving Belichick.

Yeah, fuck that.  I actually would consider giving up a 2019 first rounder for him.  But I'm not giving up the #2 pick in the draft and the chance to draft a potential cornerstone franchise QB for a 65 year old coach.

Besides, Belichick acts as his own GM right now and he'd almost certainly want to retain control of player personnel.  Bringing him in would immediately be undercutting Gettleman.

A quick glance at their resumes suggests Belichick is a far superior GM.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Maxx said:

A quick glance at their resumes suggests Belichick is a far superior GM.

I don't disagree.  But unless they're planning on immediately firing Gettleman who they've only just hired, I don't see those two co-existing.  I doubt it'd be Gettleman getting traded to New England either because I've always assumed their next GM would come from in-house.

2 minutes ago, DMN said:

*parties like it's 1999*

Ehhh, Bill the GM also has Bill the coach, and not Riverboat Ron.

All the more reason why you hire Bill the coach to get Bill the GM and vice versa

Depends what kind of commitment you can get from him, where you are drafting and what you already have.  If you're a fringe playoff team with a solid core and you can get a 5 year coaching commitment followed by a GM stint from him?  Yeah, you make that move.  

• Admin
NFL UK

2018 NFL London Games
2018 NFL LONDON GAMES TO BE REVEALED THIS THURSDAY

The 2018 NFL London Games schedule will be released on Facebook Live at 3:45 pm UK time on Thursday, January 11, live from Tottenham Hotspur, so make sure you tune-in! 

Thank you to all our fans who attended the London Games this past year, leading to sell-outs for all four games at Wembley and Twickenham, including more than 40,000 season tickets. 

Plus, we saw all four winning teams in the London Games go on to win their respective divisions: Jacksonville Jaguars (AFC South); New Orleans Saints (NFC South); Los Angeles Rams (NFC West); Minnesota Vikings (NFC North). 

Each year we do game research with thousands of game attendees and those results have just come in. We were thrilled by them – for example, eight out of ten of you rated the Twickenham experience as ‘above average’, with all other elements of the event, such as staffing, in-seat entertainment etc, achieving the same rating. In addition, Ticketmaster customers have rated NFL games as the best live sporting event in the UK. 

As we prepare to begin our partnership with Tottenham Hotspur we will again be relying on you to let us know how we can create the best possible fan experience. 

It all begins at 3.45 pm on Thursday at www.facebook.com/nfl. See you there! 
  • Like 1

• Admin
  • The Kansas City Chiefs promoted from within for their new offensive coordinator. They hired running backs coach Eric Bieniemy to replace Matt Nagy, who was hired Monday as the head coach of the Chicago Bears. Bieniemy, 48, has been with the Chiefs as their running backs coach since 2013, when Andy Reid arrived as head coach.
  • The Los Angeles Chargers will keep defensive coordinator Gus Bradley and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt around for the 2018 season. A team spokesperson confirmed the Chargers have reached agreements with Bradley and Whisenhunt to remain with the Chargers. Bradley will receive a three-year deal, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. The Green Bay Packers and the Seattle Seahawks were among the other teams reportedly interested in Bradley's services.
  • The Green Bay Packers are expected to hire Mike Pettine, the former head coach of the Cleveland Browns, as Dom Capers' replacement as defensive coordinator, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.
  • Jon Gruden said at his Oakland presser that he has hired an offensive coordinator (Greg Olson), a defensive coordinator (Paul Guenther) and a special-teams coordinator (Rich Bisaccia). "Somebody asked me what was harder, getting the 31 votes to move to Las Vegas, or getting Jon Gruden?" owner Mark Davis said. "And by far, to get Jon Gruden was the toughest." In another move, Gruden's son, Deuce Gruden, is leaving his job with uncle Jay Gruden and the Redskins to join his father in Oakland, according to the San Jose Mercury News. Deuce Gruden has been with the Redskins' strength and conditioning staff since the 2016-17 season serving first as an intern and then as a full-time coach.
  • The Baltimore Ravens announced Tuesday that it has promoted linebackers coach Don "Wink" Martindale to defensive coordinator, filling the role vacated by the retired Dean Pees. Martindale, 54, has been with the team since 2012. He previously served as the Denver Broncos' defensive coordinator under Josh McDaniels in 2010. In corresponding moves, the Ravens promoted Mike Macdonald to linebackers coach and Sterling Lucas to quality control defense.