2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

• Admin

The Cleveland Browns announced Wednesday they hired former Green Bay Packers director of football operations Eliot Wolf as the team's new assistant general manager. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports Wolf joins the organization on a four-year contract, according to a source. The 35-year-old Wolf -- the son of Hall of Fame front-office legend Ron Wolf -- met with Dorsey and the Browns on Tuesday after the Packers opted to hire Brian Gutekunst for their general manager role. The Raiders also showed interest in Wolf, who opted for a Browns staff that now houses three former Packers front-office executives in Wolf, Dorsey and Alonzo Highsmith. Passing on Oakland is notable considering that Ron Wolf worked closely with Raiders coach Jon Gruden and Oakland general manager Reggie McKenzie.

• Admin
  • The Chicago Bears have hired former Oregon Ducks head coach Mark Helfrich to be their offensive coordinator, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Thursday. Nagy will still be calling the plays.
  • Former NFL head coach Norv Turner arrived in Charlotte on Wednesday to finalize details that would make him the next offensive coordinator of the Carolina Panthers, a league source told ESPN.

4 hours ago, damshow said:

Wasn't Tom Cable named for a couple HC vacancies over the last few years?

4 hours ago, Meacon said:

Yeah, but I think that was because of the NFL’s tendency to just keep hiring the same guys over and over again just because they had been a head coach. I think teams are realizing that that isn’t the wisest way to go anymore.

I have vague memories of him in Oakland? Am I high? I know he was the OC for my favorite UCLA team, 2005.

There was a mini-scandal with him in Oakland IIRC...

2 hours ago, Lineker said:

Rumoured London games:

Hide contents

Eagles @ Jags
Seahawks @ Raiders
Titans @ Chargers

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

Those are confirmed. Seattle/Oakland is the game at the new Tottenham stadium, and Philadelphia/Jacksonville and Tennessee/LAC are at Wembley.

Consecutive weeks, 6-7-8, for the first time ever.

I have no real issues with the London games, but it sucks to lose the last game with an old rival in Oakland to the UK. Should have picked a different Raider home game, tho there aren' many of those left either.

IIRC Tom Cable was a line coach for Oakland but then got promoted to head coach.

Then he was... unplugged.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Admin

Vic Fangio is staying in Chicago as DC

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster was arrested for possession of marijuana in Alabama on Friday, according to the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office database.

Foster was released Friday night on $2,500 bond.

A second-degree marijuana possession charge is considered a Class A misdemeanor in Alabama.

• Like 1