Premier League 2018/19

Lineker

But it wasn't in that case, he's gone for a diving header, his arms just there to break his fall. 

Last weeks was outside the box anyway, I wasn't moaning but it definitely wasn't a pen... 

• Admin

1 hour ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Mesut Özil out of today’s squad with his 529th case of illness since joining Arsenal. 

Apparently, according to ESPN journalist João Castelo-Branco, he had a big bust-up with Emery this week at training.

I like how confident he is on the ball, but Alisson is definitely going to drop a clanger this season.

• Like 1

3 for 3 in August. 

A win despite being nowhere near our best and Brighton playing and defending well. These are the games we would have drew or even lost previously. 

Just watching Match of the Day, West Ham are shit at the back but their away kit is really nice.

I'm glad Wolves got a draw against Man City but it should've been 0-0 rather than 1-1. Boly's scored with his hand and then the free kick City score from should never be given, Sterling leaves his leg behind to fall over the defender's foot. Hate seeing that.

Seen a few people on social media saying Boly's goal was right to be given because it isn't deliberate but that misses the (what I thought was) obvious fact that you can't score a goal in football with your hand, nothing to do with deliberate or not. I think the officials simply don't see it go off his hand because in real time it moves quickly and looks like a straight header. I didn't even know it had hit his hand until they showed the replay.

That might be an "obvious fact" but that's not in the laws of the game. I think it probably should be, but unless I'm missing something it isn't. 

"A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between the goalposts and under the crossbar, provided that no offence has been committed by the team scoring the goal."

Therefore a handball that a ref has deemed to not be deliberate doesn't overrule the goal. Common sense says that's silly, but thems the rules as I'm sure no pundit will point out today. 

I mean, that line doesn't really cover an infringement as blatant as a goal being scored with the hand.

For me it's quite simple. If you score with your hand or arm, it doesn't count. Boly has scored with his hand, this is a game of football. Deliberate or not.

Of course all that ultimately matters is that the goal was given and Wolves ended up with a point. And I don't think City should've had a free kick for their equaliser either so it evened out.

It says no offense, that covers everything from handball to fouls to offside. 

Your logic is simple, and I'd agree that should be the rule, you can't score with your hand. But that isn't the rule. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I mean, that line doesn't really cover an infringement as blatant as a goal being scored with the hand.

For me it's quite simple. If you score with your hand or arm, it doesn't count. Boly has scored with his hand, this is a game of football. Deliberate or not.

If you just called it soccer and called AFL footy just like your average Victorian, this would be a lot simpler. :shifty:

Simpler for whom? There are many more British posters than Australian here so it isn't a matter of confusion, especially not in a thread about the English Premier League :P.

Not many people know about the AFL over here. I don't really know anything about it.

12 hours ago, Gazz said:

I like how confident he is on the ball, but Alisson is definitely going to drop a clanger this season.

It annoys me that he does seem like a very good 'keeper though. Made a decent save near the end, which is ideal when you haven't managed to grab the second goal.