NFL 2018

Lineker

Dallas and Philly being bounced is the best I could’ve asked for this weekend.  I’d love to see the Pats knocked off next week as, much like the majority of us, I’m just bored of them winning year in year out.  But at the same time, I’ve seen them win so much that I’m kinda numb to it so if it happens, whatever.

Last year was the first year I can ever remember the Super Bowl being relegated to background noise for me, a team I was bored of vs a team I hated.  Thankfully no matter what I’ll be more invested this year.

My main problem with the Pats now is that they're also quite boring to watch. They offense is insanely efficient but it's mostly short passes and runs non-stop.

I'm sick of them in general but it wouldn't be so bad if they were tearing it up

• Like 1

Yeah, Romo was talking about that on the first drive of the game yesterday.  The Pats don't even need to be loaded up with great players offensively because their scheme presents more looks than just about any other team in football.  They'll hit checkdown after checkdown until you start playing man coverage to adjust, and as soon as you do that they'll start throwing it downfield to Gronk against a linebacker.  And once you start adjusting for that, they'll go to another look and it's genuinely not possible to gameplan for everything they have in their playbook.

It's all Belichick.  Weirdly though, some Pats fans get offended if you say that because it implies that Brady might be a product of the system.

Brady is a product of the system. Don't get me wrong, he's still one of the greatest QBs of all time, but I don't know how great he would have been without that system. You put them in any other system for the last 16 years and he will probably win a Super Bowl or two. And if you put any other good QB into New England's system and they probably win a Super Bowl or two.

But its them being combined together that makes them into an all time great QB and an all time great system.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Brady is a product of the system. Don't get me wrong, he's still one of the greatest QBs of all time, but I don't know how great he would have been without that system. You put them in any other system for the last 16 years and he will probably win a Super Bowl or two. And if you put any other good QB into New England's system and they probably win a Super Bowl or two.

But its them being combined together that makes them into an all time great QB and an all time great 

I always hate this argument, every QB is the product of a system.

• Like 2

I think the Chiefs can beat them, Mahomes is scary. I've never seen a QB with an arm like his. The ball just comes out faster or something, it looks like it's sped up when watching live.

When he throws a slant, the ball basically teleports. I love watching him.

I think that is true to an extent, @DMN. But a QB can also make a system better. Where would the Patriots be today if Brady wasn't there and they stuck with Drew Bledsoe for a few more years? How about the 49ers if they had somebody different backing up Montana instead of Young? Would the Chiefs be in the AFC championship game this year if they kept Alex Smith instead of going with Patrick Mahomes? What about the Broncos before and after Manning? 

I think the Pats and Brady both have success without one another but Belichick would ultimately have more success apart, no matter what. He went 11-5 without Brady.

What's not mentioned enough is Brady playing drastically under his market value for most of his career allowing the Pats to build an unfairly competitive roster.

1 hour ago, Pooker said:

I think that is true to an extent, @DMN. But a QB can also make a system better. Where would the Patriots be today if Brady wasn't there and they stuck with Drew Bledsoe for a few more years? How about the 49ers if they had somebody different backing up Montana instead of Young? Would the Chiefs be in the AFC championship game this year if they kept Alex Smith instead of going with Patrick Mahomes? What about the Broncos before and after Manning? 

Obviously players can be better or worse in a given system, based on their ability. I just hate the term 'system QB' because it's more that the system and QB working together.

23 minutes ago, DMN said:

Obviously players can be better or worse in a given system, based on their ability. I just hate the term 'system QB' because it's more that the system and QB working together.

I agree. I guess I just think of a QB being a product of a system and a system QB as two different things. To me, Brady is a product of his system because without the Patriots system, he's not the best QB ever. Where I view a QB like Alex Smith as a system QB, somebody that you can plug into any system and get good results.

39 minutes ago, Pooker said:

I agree. I guess I just think of a QB being a product of a system and a system QB as two different things. To me, Brady is a product of his system because without the Patriots system, he's not the best QB ever. Where I view a QB like Alex Smith as a system QB, somebody that you can plug into any system and get good results.

I know you love Alex Smith, but he wouldn’t produce good results in a system that relies on downfield throws. He’s a system quarterback because he is an NFL quarterback in certain systems, not because he’d work in every system. There’s a reason Andy Reid didn’t ask him to throw the ball more than ten yards downfield.

• Like 1