2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

RoHitman Reigns

Yeah I agree, they aren't the flashy positions, but how many games have been won and lost on field goals. Plus consider the effects of a punter that can bury a team with each punt versus one that cannot - huge difference on the game, field position, possession, and momentum.

Yeah reliable kickers are not "a dime a dozen", which is why the 49ers franchised him to begin with and probably won't trade him (reports are saying the 49ers don't have any interest in doing so but we'll see). He's been one of the best kickers in the league since he got there and the idea that they can replace him with just anybody is ridiculous. He has won games for them. 

Edited by livid
  • Like 1

Seriously what are some of you people smoking?  If good kickers were a dime a dozen you wouldn’t have teams like the Chargers or Buccaneers struggling mightily to find one decent kicker.  Passable kickers might be a dime a dozen, good ones aren’t.

• Like 11

Justin Tucker is worth every penny. With the exception of Ed Reed I can't think of a single Raven in their history who has managed to completely swing games by their very presence. Teams didn't pass it the same way when Reed was in his prime, and Tucker means the Ravens generally only need 35-40 yards in a drive to have a chance at getting points.

There's no kicker in the NFL like Justin Tucker. Last year was his worst in the league by far and he was still statistically (I think) in the top 3 of all kickers.

• Like 1

• Admin

Final Daniel Jeremiah (in place of the now departed Mike Mayock) mock draft

Murray to Arizona, Bosa to San Francisco, Quinnen Williams to NYJ, Oliver to Oakland, White to Tampa Bay, Allen to NYG, Hockenson to Jacksonville, Dillard to Houston (projected trade with Detroit), Jonah Williams to Buffalo, Bush to Denver, Burns to Cincinnati, Taylor to Green Bay, Wilkins to Miami, Ford to Atlanta, Haskins to Washingtons, Sweat to Carolina, Jones to NYG, Bradbury to Minnesota, Brown to Tennessee, Ya-Sin to Pittsburgh, Gary to Seattle, Jenkins to Baltimore, Murphy to Detroit (from Houston), Jacobs to Oakland, Ferrell to Philadelphia, Simmons to Indianapolis, Savage to Oakland, Joejuan Williams to LAC, Abram to Seattle, Lock to Green Bay, Lindstrom to LAR, Fant to New England.

The final Chad Reuter 2019 seven-round NFL mock draft

One of the things that's really intriguing about this draft is what happens with the QBs even Murray. If Arizona takes Bosa instead does a team make a huge trade to go up and get him? Do the Giants sit and wait and hope he falls to them? If the Giants have Allen on the board at 6 do they grab him knowing Haskins/Lock/Jones will have at least one there at 17?

Whatever happens I know the Ravens will make the most boring pick possible and 3 years later we'll be going "Wow _____ was such a great pick".

The Giants should run to the podium if Allen is there at #6.  And even if he's not there, the most common name I hear coming up is Devin White who I'd also be thrilled with.  Basically, they are almost certainly guaranteed to have a stud defensive player available for their first pick and that's where I want them to go.  The only QB I'd take at #6 is Haskins, but since the Giants supposedly aren't big on him, I'm fine going defense.

I've made it no secret that I have no interest in Dan Jones, not even at #17.  I think he's only getting buzz because QBs always get buzz in the draft.  I've seen a few grading systems rank him as a 3rd round level talent.  Gettleman is stubborn, and if he takes Jones in the first round that means he's 100% committing to him next year and beyond even if/when the Giants are in a great spot to pick Tua/Herbert/Fromm who I all think are far better than Jones.

I'm terrified because the Giants beat writer I trust most has quoted a scout as saying the Giants LOVE Jones and will probably just take him at #6.  I truly hope that is just a smokescreen to get Washington to try to jump as they supposedly like Jones too.  Jones at #6 would make me physically ill.

Happy draft day guys! 

Hoping for OL (particularly guard), CB, and an off-the ball LB for the Lions in the earlier rounds.  What's everyone else looking for? 

5 hours ago, Eric Buschenhagen said:

The Giants should run to the podium if Allen is there at #6.  And even if he's not there, the most common name I hear coming up is Devin White who I'd also be thrilled with.  Basically, they are almost certainly guaranteed to have a stud defensive player available for their first pick and that's where I want them to go.  The only QB I'd take at #6 is Haskins, but since the Giants supposedly aren't big on him, I'm fine going defense.

I've made it no secret that I have no interest in Dan Jones, not even at #17.  I think he's only getting buzz because QBs always get buzz in the draft.  I've seen a few grading systems rank him as a 3rd round level talent.  Gettleman is stubborn, and if he takes Jones in the first round that means he's 100% committing to him next year and beyond even if/when the Giants are in a great spot to pick Tua/Herbert/Fromm who I all think are far better than Jones.

I'm terrified because the Giants beat writer I trust most has quoted a scout as saying the Giants LOVE Jones and will probably just take him at #6.  I truly hope that is just a smokescreen to get Washington to try to jump as they supposedly like Jones too.  Jones at #6 would make me physically ill.

You can win immediately when you draft one of next year's QBs. Especially if you load up on stud skill position players in the draft this year. You get 2 5-year rookie deals and then since you'll be bad next year surely have your pick of the litter. Giants have, through probably no planning by Gettleman, have actually put themselves in a really enviable position for a post-Eli era.

Outside of Murray and Haskins every QB in the draft this year feels like a guy you'll 1) have to develop, 2) have to scheme your offense around masking their deficiencies.

5 hours ago, DFF said:

Happy draft day guys! 

Hoping for OL (particularly guard), CB, and an off-the ball LB for the Lions in the earlier rounds.  What's everyone else looking for? 

Another edge rusher for the Lions, a LBer, and probably a CB. 

But I have a feeling we’re taking Hockenson and Lions fans will lose their minds.

2 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Another edge rusher for the Lions, a LBer, and probably a CB. 

But I have a feeling we’re taking Hockenson and Lions fans will lose their minds.

I'd rather we didn't take him, but at least he looks good value... I guess... 

I'd be happy with a top end edge rusher to partner with Flowers too yeah.