NBA 2016-2017 Season

Tyrone

2 hours ago, damshow said:

The first thought that came to me was "Chris Paul to the Spurs". It makes a lot of sense, he'll be 32 next year so only has a few high-level years left but with Kawhi as great as he is getting someone like Paul and whatever else stealth signings they make could tilt the balance of power in the West to the Spurs.

But at the same time, all the chatter is about who the Clippers will add to the team under the assumption they keep Paul.

That give them Gasol, Paul, Aldridge, Leanord and the other guy. That could definitely be a line up that could potentially win the West.

2 hours ago, New Year New Srar! said:

I don't like Isaiah Thomas. I can't put my finger on it but there is just something about that dude that rubs me the wrong way

He's short? Reminds you a bit too much of a short EWBer you don't like?!

Also I turned the Washington/Boston game on late. I don't feel so bad, as apparently the Celtics also forgot they had a game tonight.

I've been saying most of the season that Chris Paul should sign with the Spurs. With or without Parker, it's a great fit for both teams.

I'm just glad the Jazz haven't been blown out by 20 points yet. I know we don't stand a chance at winning the series, but hopefully we can pick up one win at home.

On 5 May 2017 at 07:47, VerbalPuke said:

That give them Gasol, Paul, Aldridge, Leanord and the other guy. That could definitely be a line up that could potentially win the West.

Gasol is like the most frustrating player on the team. He gasses so easily and he gets super lazy after that, which makes it incredibly easy for us to get caught in transition. It's almost painful at times. 

Also, Raps :( 

The Warriors are just so damn good. Jazz keep it close all game, even leading in the fourth, and out of no where, Curry hits two threes, KD drains one, and that's the game. My only complaint is how much Draymond Green is allowed to talk to the refs. It's no wonder he plays with the way he does. If the refs called techs the way they should, he would been suspended a ton or change his attitude quick.

The Warriors have been that way the past few years, teams feel like they're closer and then suddenly it's a 15-point runaway. The addition of Durant means there's just one more elite scorer who can heat up at anytime and put the game out of reach. They're stupidly fun to watch when they get on those runs, but the games themselves are never close. Like I saw the halftime score and didn't think for a second the Jazz were winning.

There was a really good "discussion" on sports talk radio yesterday, and it made me realize that the NBA playoffs really aren't very fun until the conference finals. The NHL playoffs have been ten times more entertaining, if only because it's not a dead certainty who the final four will end up being. 

• Like 2

Can't complain too much about being swept by the Warriors. They're just too good. Hopefully Hayward resigns with the Jazz, we can bring in a new weapon or two, and stay healthy next year. I really believe this Jazz team can compete with the best in the NBA and even win it all.

4 hours ago, Meacon said:

There was a really good "discussion" on sports talk radio yesterday, and it made me realize that the NBA playoffs really aren't very fun until the conference finals. The NHL playoffs have been ten times more entertaining, if only because it's not a dead certainty who the final four will end up being. 

I've felt this way for over a decade now.  Even when the Knicks were relevant for a few seasons from 2010-13 I couldn't bring myself to get really into their playoff berths because there was never any hope of it going beyond the second round.

Diehard basketball fans will tell you it's the only playoff system that isn't flawed because the best team is always going to win rather than a team that simply went on a hot streak.  And ESPN was saying the same thing today because of course they're not going to say anything bad about the NBA playoffs given the amount of money they have riding on their TV rights.

I just can't bring myself to get into a league where all but 3 or 4 fanbases, if that, know before the season even starts that they aren't winning a title.

The NBA playoffs are just too long. Too many days in between games. Go back to the first round being best of 5, have a game in the series every other day. It'll still be the same 4 teams every year but at least that might make them a little better.

The playoffs really drag out. The Finals feel like a super marquee matchup every year, which no other sports league winds up having. Except for the years when the East sent absolutely dreadful teams like New Jersey and Philadelphia to the Finals, there's always been an intriguing matchup basically as far back as I can remember. But that doesn't help the fact that the road to them are really, really rough. It's a superstar driven sport, and with only so many superstars being on great teams at any given time it's impossible to have the level of parity every other sport has. If NBA rosters were 20 instead of 12 and if all those 20 guys got regular minutes then we'd have more parity, but you can't fundamentally change the game like that.

March Madness is exciting only because it's a one-game tournament. If they had a best-of-five of best-of-seven series in college hoops you'd see the same 10 teams trading places in the Final Four every year.

• Like 1