NBA 2016-2017 Season

Tyrone

Jazz match up extremely well with GSW. We beat them the last time we played them in the regular season, missing our second best player. There's barely a chance the Jazz could beat them, but they'll put up a much better fight than the Clipper could.

Now that the Clippers have choked on a playoff lead once more, it's time for Ballmer and Co. to realize that the current group of players are real talented, but aren't talented enough to bring the team the glory that they crave. It's especially painful when you see that they got whooped by a team that is quite easily worse and less experienced at the game.

The Clippers are a paper team, have always been, and now is the biggest proof of them all in that they couldn't get past a team that was missing their main defensive piece for a big part of the round, and a Derrick Favors that barely can be counted as game fit.

Chris Paul would be a fool if he doesn't try free agency, same goes for Blake Griffin who despite being injury prone still has youth and production on his side. J.J. Redick could be a great scorer wherever he goes, whether that's on the bench or in the starting lineup.

This year was their best year to get it done, and they didn't. And Doc Rivers is part of the blame, since he's not been able to make the team better/smarter defensively. It's time to blow the team up, they've played their hand and it failed and most likely will be forced to watch their main guys walk away for nothing.

Well that's because Doc Rivers is a terrible head coach who lucked into having stacked teams.

• Like 7

Like Maxx said, Doc has lucked into stacked teams. He got a good rep as a defensive coach, when he had a young rondo, prime Pierce, Allen, and KG to work with. Supplemented with guys like Tony Allen, James Posey, Eddie House, and of course Brian Scalabrine.

That team was a phenomenal defensive unit, and got a championship at the right time, all thanks to the best GM in the NBA in Danny Ainge, who got Ray Allen and KG to form the prototype big three.

The team should've been able to win more rings, but Lakers two-peat happened, and then it was too late. Doc Rivers got a lucky ridiculous trade to the Clippers and got the keys to the Clippers castle, and the team hasn't even gotten past the conference semi's since.

He's a good coach, but he lacks the skills to adapt in playoff time and fully take advantage of the players he got.

The way I've always felt about Doc Rivers is that the guy is a fantastic motivator who can get the best out of his guys, but just can't draw the X's and O's. Cue me getting irrationally upset about drawing up a 3 point play for rondo and costing Boston a ring. 

If you want a motivator you can surround with assistants who actually draw up the plays? Doc's fine. But Lionel Hollins is available, half the price and can actually draw up his own plays. 

Doc is loved by his guys which makes it hard to get rid of him. That said, he's a terrible GM and while a really good defensively-minded coach he doesn't have the Xs and Os to really take a team to the next level. The Clippers window closed with the ascent of the Warriors, the last 3 years have just been them floating around. At this point they have to do something. They can win with Chris Paul, but everything around him has to change.

So a few of the Warriors players have come out and said they wished the Clippers had won because Utah has no nightlife. Pretty damn disrespectful, if you ask me. If you're more concerned with how the nightlife is with where you are playing than who you are playing, you shouldn't be playing in this league.

Also, as a life long Utahn, I can vouch that there are plenty of clubs/bars/nightlife around Utah.

I'm hoping the Jazz can make this a pretty interesting series. Show the NBA what we're capable of.

As for the Clippers and Doc Rivers, I hope Chris Paul leaves them high and dry. He would be even more amazing on the Spurs. Or the Jazz.

And Doc Rivers should never coach anywhere ever again. 

30 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Parker's out for the rest of the playoffs with a ruptured quadricep :(

Brutal injury for the guy, hope he makes a recovery next year but at his age I wonder if that's in the cards. Maybe he needs to ask Nash, Hunter, and Vince on how to best deal with it...

1 minute ago, Pooker said:

Watching it back on replay, it looked pretty painful. I would be pretty shocked if he didn't retire.

Also, with Chris Paul being a free agent this off-season, and both Parker and Manu being on there with age, their retirements could open up a slim chance to lure Paul to the Spurs.

The first thought that came to me was "Chris Paul to the Spurs". It makes a lot of sense, he'll be 32 next year so only has a few high-level years left but with Kawhi as great as he is getting someone like Paul and whatever else stealth signings they make could tilt the balance of power in the West to the Spurs.

But at the same time, all the chatter is about who the Clippers will add to the team under the assumption they keep Paul.