NBA 2016-2017 Season

Tyrone

On 2-4-2017 at 19:27, Tyrone said:

Derrick Rose has torn his meniscus and is done for the season.

Fucking terrible for the guy, especially now that he had finally returned to his pre-injury efficiency. I doubt he'll return to his form after this surgery, he's as good as done.

Also, Westbrook is one TD away from tying the record and I couldn't be less excited if I tried. He's obviously just stacking the stats, and the Thunder can't even win matches. Russ doesn't even try to hide the fact he's cherry picking defensive boards by giving his guy space to shoot. He's genuinely good, but as long as the Thunder are so average.

Harden got the MVP, with ease. Second should be either LeBron or Durant with his insane efficiency.

Edited by Jasonmufc

2 hours ago, damshow said:

Durant got hurt for too much of the season. The voting will probably look like Harden, Westbrook, LeBron, Wall/Thomas

DeRozan and Kawhi are 100% in that discussion as well. Westbrook 100% wins it, though, there's no way the people who vote all the time are going to not want to give it to him, Harden just isn't sexy enough (which is also why Kawhi and Thomas won't get it). I don't mind Westbrook getting it, though, the guy is absolutely unbelievable, and when he wants to, his defense is way better than Harden's anyway. 

For me, the voting will probably look like: Westbrook, Harden, Kawhi, LeBron, then Curry because of course. Guys like Thomas and DeRozan aren't even going to come close.

This year was actually incredibly fun to watch. The East really, really picked up.

On 3-4-2017 at 22:22, Jasonmufc said:

Fucking terrible for the guy, especially now that he had finally returned to his pre-injury efficiency. I doubt he'll return to his form after this surgery, he's as good as done.

Also, Westbrook is one TD away from tying the record and I couldn't be less excited if I tried. He's obviously just stacking the stats, and the Thunder can't even win matches. Russ doesn't even try to hide the fact he's cherry picking defensive boards by giving his guy space to shoot. He's genuinely good, but as long as the Thunder are so average.

Harden got the MVP, with ease. Second should be either LeBron or Durant with his insane efficiency.

OKC win 80% of the time when he gets a trip-dub. So, they almost need him to have an Triple Double. 

What is also surprising me is that we don't have guys who can put up 30 apart from Russell. No one who can shoot the 3-ball great. Spurs has them, Rockets, Cavs, Golden State but we don't. Still I'm interested what Presti will do this summer. 

Since All-Star break:

Russell Westbrook
34.3 PPG, 11.1 RPG, 11.3 APG, 43-34-88 %'s

James Harden
28.9 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 10.9 APG, 44-32-85 %'s

Kyle Lowry returns to the Raptors so we get 4 games before the playoffs for everyone to gel.  I saw a tweet this will be just the second game of the year where we don't have a game missed due to injury.

10 hours ago, Meacon said:

I think Westbrook's strongest and weakest arguments are the same thing. It that hes on a sixth place team. Can you really give the MVP to a guy on a sixth place team? But how terrible would they be if he wasn't there at all?

I honestly don't see why not. He's literally the most valuable player to a team. I still kinda' hope Kawhi somehow steals it :P 

Anyone saying he's just chasing that record and not caring whether OKC wins or loses can point to today's game where he was one rebound away from beating it and shut up. 

12 hours ago, Benkid Cratchit said:

I honestly don't see why not. He's literally the most valuable player to a team. I still kinda' hope Kawhi somehow steals it :P 

Anyone saying he's just chasing that record and not caring whether OKC wins or loses can point to today's game where he was one rebound away from beating it and shut up. 

Also, so what? Not like they're in danger of missing out on anything more than a First or Second round playoff exit anyways. 

Edited by livid

Oh, I don't know, some crazy stuff about how his detractors always complain that he cares more about his statline than getting the W, but they win something like 70+% of the time he gets a trip dub, so what do I know. 

Just him solely taking his team to the playoffs is an amazing accomplishment, considering the rest of OKC.

On 4/3/2017 at 21:22, Jasonmufc said:

I don't hang around boards where the NBA is discussed, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this. What team would just allow their Point Guard to sweep up every uncontested rebound possible unless they are all more interested in keeping their star player happy by getting him a triple-double every game? I don't discount his talent at all but this whole "record-breaking" season has left a sour taste in my mouth.

In all the games, you could see that Westbrook is a legit guy who can grab triple doubles AT WILL, and he showed that he can do that. But at the same time he was able to show it because the team was fully committed in Westbrook doing just that. Westbrook is as great as much as the rest of the roster is just bad.

When Durant left, and Ibaka got traded away for Oladipo, you would've expected guys to have stepped up and make their mark as a bonafide #2 guy next to Westbrook. But it never really happened as Westbrook did as Westbrook does, and that is take control in every conceivable way.

Oladipo has become a little bit more efficient on offense (by way of not being on the Magic anymore), but he's regressed on defense which is supposed to be his speciality. Enes Kanter has become less efficient across the board, ditto for Steven Adams.

Westbrook is impressive for breaking an age old record, sure... But that's purely because more often than not he was the only one on offense, and was picking his spots on defense to ensure he got his boards. His advanced stats show that he's the only guy on the team, effectively, and that Durant and Ibaka aren't around to 'lessen' his stats.

If he had done it with an actual secondary player around, that would've been impressive. And it is still impressive because it's unimagineable that a single player can put up such a statline, even when everyone on his team is helping him make it happen.

But still, James Harden deserves the MVP and I hate him and the Rockets. He's improved his game, he's put up pretty comparable numbers, but he's done it on a team that is STACKED on both defense and offense. 

The most convincing argument I've seen is that the Thunder are worse without Westbrook than the Rockets are without Harden. However, the Rockets do more every possession with Harden on the court than the Thunder do every possession with Westbrook on the court. The Rockets are a much deeper team, and possibly playoff caliber without Harden. But with him on the court they are a historically good offense. It's so hard to ignore that stat. But it's razor thin between them in every category. We really should have co-MVPs, but in terms of value to winning the edge goes slightly to Harden.

Playoffs start today, sadly Mavericks didn't make it in even with Tony Romo to cheer them on.

So i've decided to follow either the Jazz, or the Wizards... or both these playoffs, and hope that one of them have a deep playoff run so I'll have something to watch these playoffs.

Wizards (and Raptors) have a good chance of unseating Cleveland in the east. As good a chance as you can have when you have to beat LeBron 4 times of course. But I'd say this is the first year since 2013 and Indiana where there's a team with a legitimate shot of beating a LeBron-led team.

Wiz were molten hot for 3 months but have cooled down considerably in the last few weeks. Raptors have been pretty consistent. I know they're the top seed and very well-coached, but I'm not as into the Boston hype and think they wind up losing to Washington.

2 hours ago, damshow said:

Wizards (and Raptors) have a good chance of unseating Cleveland in the east. As good a chance as you can have when you have to beat LeBron 4 times of course. But I'd say this is the first year since 2013 and Indiana where there's a team with a legitimate shot of beating a LeBron-led team.

Wiz were molten hot for 3 months but have cooled down considerably in the last few weeks. Raptors have been pretty consistent. I know they're the top seed and very well-coached, but I'm not as into the Boston hype and think they wind up losing to Washington.

Yeah, I like how far Boston has gotten, but I think that playoff teams will either let Thomas score and throttle the rest, or completely shut down Thomas and force the Celtics to make something happen off the ball. And well, as much as Boston is lovable now, they're still the legendary iconteam of the NBA...