NBA 2016-2017 Season

Tyrone

Yikes, that first quarter by Houston. They just could never recover. How many turnovers did Harden finally have?

But yeah, no Kawhi, no Tony P, no problem for tonight :D 

Also Jonathan Simmons could really turn into something special.

If I'm Golden State, my eyes and ears just perked up.  San Antonio without their main superstar just made a statement against what was some fans' sexy pick for the West.

With Duncan and Robinson, it used to be that the Spurs picked up steam during the second half of the season.  Now, it's the playoffs.  The West Finals are shaping up to be marquee tele.

On 5/11/2017 at 20:04, Benjamin said:

Yikes, that first quarter by Houston. They just could never recover. How many turnovers did Harden finally have?

But yeah, no Kawhi, no Tony P, no problem for tonight :D 

Also Jonathan Simmons could really turn into something special.

Sucks that he's already like 27, though.

Basketball gods are cruel. Spurs had the game decisively won with Kawhi, that entire GSW run came after he was forced to leave.

EDIT: I'm sort of content with the Warriors squeaking by a Kawhi-less Spurs team. Only won by 2.

Edited by Tyrone

It's gonna be interesting if Kawhi gets to play any more or if they hold him out. We all know how bad ankle injuries can be bad. If he gets held out, I don't see the Spurs going to the Finals.

That was just a terrible disaster. After Kawhi had to leave, there was nobody there to create any offense outside of a guy who's almost 40. Manu and Patty Mills were the only ones keeping them in the game. Murray and Simmons tried their best, which I admire, but they were going to get shut down by that GSW defense if they take the lead. LA really needs to step up, the number of missed shots he had and the lack of confidence in his own shot he seems to have is really dragging. That combined with Pau's absolute uselessness in this series could lead to us really getting hammered if we try to win this in the paint, so Aldridge really needs to get his act together.

2 hours ago, Benjamin said:

That was just a terrible disaster. After Kawhi had to leave, there was nobody there to create any offense outside of a guy who's almost 40. Manu and Patty Mills were the only ones keeping them in the game. Murray and Simmons tried their best, which I admire, but they were going to get shut down by that GSW defense if they take the lead. LA really needs to step up, the number of missed shots he had and the lack of confidence in his own shot he seems to have is really dragging. That combined with Pau's absolute uselessness in this series could lead to us really getting hammered if we try to win this in the paint, so Aldridge really needs to get his act together.

Coming from a lifetime Blazers fan, LA will disappear down the stretch and you will be left pulling your hair out a decent amount of the time.

I think GSW was due for a run in that game anyway, but the Kawhi injury changes the complexion of the whole series. It goes from a battle down to game 6 or 7 to maybe a 5 game win if Kawhi misses significant time.

I don't think Zaza meant to hurt him, but it's bullshit nonetheless. And it's something that for better or worse will follow Zaza everywhere now.

It's been around for a while now. The big superstars do it the most. Can't let the little fans think they're doing anything wrong. I was pretty shocked when Gordon Hayward did it against the Warriors and got away with it. It's probably the most annoying thing in the NBA currently.

In Utah Jazz news, the fans managed to raise a bunch of money to put up a few billboards that say Stayward and has a picture of Gordon on it. The funny part? He's gone to San Diego for a month and might not see them in person.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, New Year New Srar! said:

I don't watch a ton of Basketball but how long has it been this annoying where guys just launch themselves at the defender and get a foul called so they can shoot free throws? Did MJ do this? It's so lame

It started with defenders doing a jumping contest, and if the player whiffed the shooter would just jump a LITTLE sideways to get some grazing contact and get the foul, but overall keeping their ordinary shooting stroke largely intact. That was doable, and it was a nice way to punish dumb and sloppy defenders doing dumb defensive moves such as doing jumping contests at a player that's still allowed to dribble. More often than not, good players would drive and shoot anyways.

Then the refs decided to call every single form of contact made as long as the defender was in a tough position, and now we've got this shit. Where guys like Harden and Isaiah Thomas are drawing fouls when the defender is stuck on a goddamn screen! (Player hits the screen, shooter just jumps and draws the contact when the player muscles past the big.)

The idea of three/four point plays aren't so bad, it's the refs that have made a mockery out of it. And they really give too many good players, too many easy calls. E.g. Harden who just flops on a defender in the post == automatic foul.

Also, MJ kinda did it, but back then people weren't getting calls for every little piece of contact made. So the defender really had to chop down Jordan for him to really make it to the line, and seeing Jordan wasn't an idiot he knew better than to draw unnecesary fouls in a league still filled with hard men.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Pooker said:

It's been around for a while now. The big superstars do it the most. Can't let the little fans think they're doing anything wrong. I was pretty shocked when Gordon Hayward did it against the Warriors and got away with it. It's probably the most annoying thing in the NBA currently.

In Utah Jazz news, the fans managed to raise a bunch of money to put up a few billboards that say Stayward and has a picture of Gordon on it. The funny part? He's gone to San Diego for a month and might not see them in person.

I would be surprised if he leaves, Utah has a star in him and they should just give him all the money.

Gonna be a lot of ridiculous guys getting ridiculous money this offseason though. Porter and Olynyk for example. What a summer to be a free agent.

Porter fully deserves that raise though. Dude's been shooting over 50/40/80 last season, and it doesn't look like a contract-year bump. He's sneakily become a really really good offensive player over the past four years, especially after his first two seasons where he was mostly known for his Shaqtin' nominations and dumb moments where he fucked up.

If he can get 3 or so assists per game more on average, he'll be one of the best all-round SF's in the east. If Beal wasn't around, he'd probably be scoring over 20 already.
Kelly Olynyk though, he's a poor player who hides his dirtiness under a thin veil of acting awkward and incompetent, he doesn't deserve to get big money, but he'll probably will.

@Jasonmufc I disagree about Olynyk and have been singing his praises for a few years. He's not some elite big man, but in a bench role he's very good at what he does. A stretch 4 who can shoot the three and space the floor fits well with boston's current small ball system. He's definitely gonna get overpaid, but everyone is now. That happened the day Mike Conley was one of the highest paid players in the league. 

As for his reputation as a villain and a dirty player, people also forget the guy was a point guard for most of his career until he had a massive growth spurt. He's always gonna be a lanky awkward big man without enough mass and that leads to some awkward spots. And draymond green calling him one of the dirtiest players in the league was outright laughable. 

Edited by En Dub
  • Like 1