David Beckham's MLS 2020

Szumi

28 minutes ago, metalman said:

I imagine Beckham's multiple dogs are part of yet another of his tax avoidance vehicles

I mean, facetiousness aside, Victoria is part of PETA, meaning that the Beckhams are tied to a group that literally does kill hundreds of animals every year for dubious reasons. (Link warning, shows images of animal cruelty). I don't seriously think they're part of the dark side of PETA, tbf.

18 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Victoria Beckham is not part of PETA and has, indeed, been criticised by them many times even over the years.

She also won an award from them, which is what I was thinking of.

PETA are still shitheads, though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Beckham is synonymous with Miami.

In the way that a burning sensation when you piss is synonymous with STDs, you mean.

4 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

In the way that a burning sensation when you piss is synonymous with STDs, you mean.

I don't know what burning sensations has to do with Doctorates of Sacred Theology

29 minutes ago, Rich said:

I don't know what burning sensations has to do with Doctorates of Sacred Theology

Not what I was talking about, but that sounds like something you'd get at Liberty University, so about as painful to experience.

Much like Miami Fusion, or the Fort Lauderdale Strikers, Doctorates of Sacred Theology no longer exist and have been replaced. In the case of the former, replaced by Inter Miami. In the case of the latter, by the degree Doctor of Divinity. The Doctor of Divinity is an honorary degree and not awarded on the basis of research. It, much like Inter Miami, has no inherent meaning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, metalman said:

Much like Miami Fusion, or the Fort Lauderdale Strikers, Doctorates of Sacred Theology no longer exist and have been replaced. In the case of the former, replaced by Inter Miami. In the case of the latter, by the degree Doctor of Divinity. The Doctor of Divinity is an honorary degree and not awarded on the basis of research. It, much like Inter Miami, has no inherent meaning.

Just one note there, the Fort Lauderdale Strikers has been spiritually replaced by the championship-winning Himmarshee FC. Which has tons of inherent meaning, both as a local cultural touchstone living on through it's most ardent supporters, but also as part of the growing movement of grassroots, community-minded, member-owned footy clubs. Much like the second wave Strikers (and by extension the second wave NASL) was an alternative to the mainstream MLS, grassroots football in the US is a counterculture response to the growing MLS influence in the sport in the US. In other words, the Strikers are to 60s counterculture bands as Himmarshee is to 70s punk.

Otherwise bang on.

1 hour ago, MadJack said:

Himmarshee sounds like a poorly attended bluegrass festival.

It's a Seminole word, "New Water". It's also the Seminole name for a river in Ft Lauderdale which has since been known as The New River. It's also the namesake of Himmarshee Village, a subsection of the Riverwalk entertainment district.

1 hour ago, LL. said:

Right. Right. Cause New Coke was so much better. Stick with the original I say. 

The Fusion was the New Coke. Strikers reboot was the return of Classic Coke. Himmarshee is a regional soda and Miami FC is Pepsi.

And of course, Inter Miami is Red Bull Cola; an abomination that should have never happened.

4 minutes ago, LL. said:

Coke and Red Bull is a very popular mix. Makes sense that one person hates it versus the masses. 

Not Red Bull mixed with Coke. Red Bull Cola. You don't remember it because, like Inter Miami, it was a dismal failure.

3 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

Not Red Bull mixed with Coke. Red Bull Cola. You don't remember it because, like Inter Miami, it was a dismal failure.

I wasn't talking about coca cola. *eyebrows*