Premier League 2021/22

Lineker

I hate chants against opposition teams in general. Sing about how much you like your own team, not about how much you hate the other team.

Obviously, this is an extreme example. I do wish that fans didn't take the attitude that being at a football match means that they can say anything they like without consequences.

I don't particularly mind going after specific players on opposing teams, and can take or leave going after the teams themselves. But leave fans and such out of it at all times. The players are often buddy buddy with one another outside of the match, fans in attendance should strive for the same thing.

If you cant chant or sing about opposition teams in a wry manner that aren't just mean spirited songs about death or poverty or actual human suffering. Then sure go on.

For example at United game the other day Liverpool fans sang about how United players "hardly touched the ball". Its ultimately a harmless chant.

Against Everton they might sing about how Everton haven't won a trophy since 1995. That is also harmless.

It seems though a lot of opposition teams when facing Liverpool will break out the same old songs over and over. "Sign on", "Feed the Scousers", "Always the Victims". Those are harmful. They are about things that go beyond a sport and arent needed.

It feels like I hear those songs while watching Liverpool games far more often than I hear songs being sun in support of opposition teams by their fans.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The thing that's frustrating for me is when people go "oh it's a minority". It's really not, it's very frequent, it's vocal and it downplays the incidents. The club got rightfully lambasted by the media over rent boy chants...it's offensive and has no place in the game. The same media keep stum over chants about a tragedy in which 97 people directly died and the countless hundreds of people who have been impacted by it. Friends, family, survivors guilt etc. I can clearly say that Hillsborough and Heysel had an impact upon my dad's mental health and as a result his drinking due to the things he saw. 

"Always the victim" is clearly a Hillsborough/Heysel chant no matter what anyone tries to argue otherwise. 

The amount of games I've been too and the opposition chants the same old tirade of poverty/victim songs rather than actually sing about their own team or have the banter type songs where it's fair game like Slippy G etc. 

The amount of times I've had stuff said to me when going to matches, the league cup final after the match, I had a Chelsea fan say to me with such hatred in his voice about me being a scouser, getting a job, about Hillsborough etc. I've been places where I could clearly argue I've been treated differently because of my voice and where I'm from. And then the same people will moan about me not being patriotic. It's water of a ducks back in the end, I'm proud of where I'm from. If you're gonna judge someone from where they're from then you're not someone that's going to mean a thing to me. 

I do think more could be done by the footballing family though in respect of chants etc and educating about Hillsborough. That could have happened to any team and it was a government and authority cover up to tarnish football fans for their own misgivings. And people brought it hook line and sinker. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MadJack said:

And even when it's about their own players, some of those chants will also take aim at Liverpool as well - like the Park Ji Sung chant United fans used to sing.

Clubs need to take firmer action on such chants, even if that means banning hundreds or even thousands of fans.

*googles "Park Ji Sung" chant*

yikes

13 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

But what are they supposed to be "victims" or otherwise about if not Hillsborough and Heysel? I'm just wondering what people who deny it's about that say it is instead.

Your average fan of this type isn't smart enough to self-examine, so when (for example) they bust out the victims chant in response to Liverpool fans being angry at a refereeing decision, they only think of the immediate cause and not why they've assigned this 'character trait' to Liverpool fans in the first place. Simple as that.

• Like 4