2022 NFL Off-Season thread

The Buscher

6 hours ago, VerBlue Christmas said:

@damhausen

Any insight on Chris Board? The Lions signed him, looks like he was a special teams guy and depth LB? He seems to be our replacement for Jalen Reeves-Maybin that went to Houston.

He was essentially that, cycled in as needed on defense but was primarily a special teams player.

• Thanks 1

In addition to not being included in the trade with the Texans...reportedly the Seahawks and Panthers aren't interested in Baker Mayfield either.

One team said to have real interest is the Steelers, who only signed Trubisky for what amounts to high-end backup money.  The Browns aren't going to trade Mayfield there but if they can't find a trade partner, they might be forced to release him and watch him get scooped up within the division.

I'm usually rooting against the Steelers but if that happens, man I hope the first Browns/Steelers game is early in the year.  Baker beating the Browns while Watson is on suspension would be so great.

30 minutes ago, CM Busch said:

In addition to not being included in the trade with the Texans...reportedly the Seahawks and Panthers aren't interested in Baker Mayfield either.

One team said to have real interest is the Steelers, who only signed Trubisky for what amounts to high-end backup money.  The Browns aren't going to trade Mayfield there but if they can't find a trade partner, they might be forced to release him and watch him get scooped up within the division.

I'm usually rooting against the Steelers but if that happens, man I hope the first Browns/Steelers game is early in the year.  Baker beating the Browns while Watson is on suspension would be so great.

I thought the Browns basically couldn't cut Baker because it'd incur too much of a dead cap penalty but if they trade him to a team it works around that?

And something about how they technically can't complete the Watson trade until they resolve the Baker situation. Not to mention the league getting pressured into preventing Cleveland from that very shady contract with Watson where he won't lose much money at all if/when he's suspended. This could get real messy. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy and a nicer organization.

22 minutes ago, livid said:

Well this offseason is drunk

hey damshow I figured out which Dolphins running back to draft.

McDaniel utilizing Hill like Deebo, in an offense that also features Jaylen Waddle who he could also utilize like Deebo is a spoooky thought.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LL! said:

I wonder if the Chiefs would want Michael Gallup. >_>

No no, they will want a star player in return, we can send them Zeke.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, damhausen said:

I thought the Browns basically couldn't cut Baker because it'd incur too much of a dead cap penalty but if they trade him to a team it works around that?

And something about how they technically can't complete the Watson trade until they resolve the Baker situation. Not to mention the league getting pressured into preventing Cleveland from that very shady contract with Watson where he won't lose much money at all if/when he's suspended. This could get real messy. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy and a nicer organization.

Generally in the NFL, a team still has to absorb the dead cap hit when they trade someone but I believe 5th year rookie contract options are the lone exception.  I only know this because I've read enough Giants' offseason roadmaps to know they'd actually clear Barkley's entirely salary if they traded him (which they're not expected to) when I'd previously assumed it was dead money no matter what.

Browns would then be in the same situation with Baker.  If they have to cut him it's an $18.5 million dead cap hit but, in fairness, Watson's contract structure means the two of them combined would be a $28.5 million hit this year, not particularly egregious for today's QB salaries.  

Watson's cap hit the next four years though jumps to $55 million per year, just absolutely obscene.  Can't even really restructure his deal like a lot of teams would since it's fully guaranteed.  They're going to struggle to put a team around him in 2023 and beyond and they have nobody to blame but themselves.

5 minutes ago, CM Busch said:

Generally in the NFL, a team still has to absorb the dead cap hit when they trade someone but I believe 5th year rookie contract options are the lone exception.  I only know this because I've read enough Giants' offseason roadmaps to know they'd actually clear Barkley's entirely salary if they traded him (which they're not expected to) when I'd previously assumed it was dead money no matter what.

Browns would then be in the same situation with Baker.  If they have to cut him it's an $18.5 million dead cap hit but, in fairness, Watson's contract structure means the two of them combined would be a $28.5 million hit this year, not particularly egregious for today's QB salaries.  

Watson's cap hit the next four years though jumps to $55 million per year, just absolutely obscene.  Can't even really restructure his deal like a lot of teams would since it's fully guaranteed.  They're going to struggle to put a team around him in 2023 and beyond and they have nobody to blame but themselves.

They, along with multiple AFC teams, are going all-in right now. TB and LA did it and it worked so everyone thinks that will just keep repeating - it's the new "gotta win with the rookie QB contract because it worked for Seattle" line of thinking.

People in Baltimore are getting antsy that 1) The team hasn't gotten a long-term deal sorted out with Lamar yet, and 2) They're not going all-in and have staggered cap hits and a bit of reliance on draft picks working out and continuing to develop. But looking at the volume of AFC teams going for broke in what appears to be a down year (or two) for Kansas City just makes me feel like the Ravens are playing it right. The team is still very talented and will come out on the other side, along with a Steelers team that presumably finds its next franchise QB, in a healthy spot while Cleveland, Indianapolis, Tennessee, etc. enter long winters.

Looks like the Jets are in the mix for Hill as well.  Not sure I’d give up the 10th overall pick for Tyreek Hill, but that’s what I’d be very happy to walk away with if I’m KC.