Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

1 minute ago, Colly said:

Never bet on the early kickoff.

Oh I (should) know. They were included in my 'big European bet across the day' bet, which is separate to my 'just betting on the UK 3pm kickoffs' bet, so some match had to be the early kickoff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

You clearly don't know Liverpool enough. We turn up for City, we've been utter dross here and deserve to be beat. 

This is classic Liverpool throughout the years

gave me flashbacks of the Benitez years tbh

relegation fodder team plays liverpool, their goalie ends up pulling out some great saves and a goal is snatched a set piece while Liverpool struggle to break down a packed defence

all it needed was Andriy Voronin.

What has gone wrong at Liverpool? Obviously when they built the team that won the league, it was good recruitment and talent spotting that got them there, but since then the standard of that has fallen away quite significantly. Also I've never understood why they always have such limited squad depth relative to the club's financial means. Particularly in a season with a World Cup plonked in the middle. Post-World Cup with an exhausted squad and limited not much scope for rotation this could get even worse.

Alisson has legitimately been our only consistently good player this year. It's disasters everywhere.

Klopp also subbing off Bobby Firmino for fucking Ox may be the worst substitution in Premier League history. One of your only 2 forwards fit/available comes off for a past it, injury prone CM who hasn't played football in about 6 months. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dang117 said:

Mane has been a massive loss

Possibly but I dont think its all that.

Id say Nunez and Diaz were bigger losses today. Nunez, according to people who look at stats AFAIK, has pretty much been doing what Mane did toward the end of last season data wise.

41 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

What has gone wrong at Liverpool? Obviously when they built the team that won the league, it was good recruitment and talent spotting that got them there, but since then the standard of that has fallen away quite significantly. Also I've never understood why they always have such limited squad depth relative to the club's financial means. Particularly in a season with a World Cup plonked in the middle. Post-World Cup with an exhausted squad and limited not much scope for rotation this could get even worse.

The exhausted squad is the biggest issue for me.  Last season was practically and miraculously injury free for most.

Ive heard it suggested that pre season preparations weren't ideal (in particular the Asian tour I would imagine). It was admitted by Klopp early in the season that they basically extended pre season to the first couple of weeks of the season.

• Like 2

We also didn't really capitalise on us winning the Champions League and winning the Prem. We added Thiago and Jota after we won the title but we didn't add a centre back and it almost cost us fourth.

You can argue the last two seasons the midfield has needed strengthening/refreshing. Chamberlain should still not be with us and he's gonna leave for nothing, same with Keita. Age is catching up on Milner and Henderson, Thiago has his injury problems. Like if we're ousting all our eggs in the Jude Bellingham basket it's like why would he want to come to us at the minute on top of he can get paid more at either Manchester team, Chelsea or likes of Madrid. 

I still think we can get 4th. Title was out the picture a while ago. This is going to be a weird season especially with the world cup break. But disjointed performances and players underperforming and not looking up for it won't help. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

We also didn't really capitalise on us winning the Champions League and winning the Prem. We added Thiago and Jota after we won the title but we didn't add a centre back and it almost cost us fourth.

You can argue the last two seasons the midfield has needed strengthening/refreshing. Chamberlain should still not be with us and he's gonna leave for nothing, same with Keita. Age is catching up on Milner and Henderson, Thiago has his injury problems. Like if we're ousting all our eggs in the Jude Bellingham basket it's like why would he want to come to us at the minute on top of he can get paid more at either Manchester team, Chelsea or likes of Madrid. 

I still think we can get 4th. Title was out the picture a while ago. This is going to be a weird season especially with the world cup break. But disjointed performances and players underperforming and not looking up for it won't help. 

Chamberlain and Keita are probably hard to get rid off because of their injury records tbf

The Bellingham thing I think is also indicative of wanting to be very specific in the transfers that come in 90% of the time. There's very little room for buying a Ragnar Klavan type squad player instead it's use youth players and/or spend big.

Which, y'know, can work. It worked very well last season. Possibly too well!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hobo said:

gave me flashbacks of the Benitez years tbh

relegation fodder team plays liverpool, their goalie ends up pulling out some great saves and a goal is snatched a set piece while Liverpool struggle to break down a packed defence

all it needed was Andriy Voronin.

Honestly think that's harsh on Forest, a lot of Henderson's saves were pretty straightforward from tame strikes, Alisson pulled at least one worldy out of the bag.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, METALMAN said:

The shallow squad depth is very much an FSG hallmark. The sports teams they own win a bunch because they invest heavily in scouting, coaching, and identifying talent, but they're also very calculated in what they spend. They're an investment group first and foremost.

Also they just spent a lot of money buying a team in the NHL and it's heavily rumored they're working at the same in the NBA, so less money than usual is free at the very top.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Colly said:

Honestly think that's harsh on Forest, a lot of Henderson's saves were pretty straightforward from tame strikes, Alisson pulled at least one worldy out of the bag.

Probably a bit hyperbolic tbf