Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

4 minutes ago, Colly said:

Forest had one corner today and this was it. Who's their manager, Gordon Bombay?

Ignoring every runner coming from deep, Man Utd find the first man or keeper with 90% of their corners anyway so this doesn't even seem that bad to me.

It's a bit late and I know there's games ongoing but if we're doing predictions:

Spoiler

1 Man City (Nothing Good Ever Happens 1)
 2 Liverpool (Should run City close and remain likeable)
 3 Arsenal (no one rates Arteta and this fuels him)
 4 Man Utd (awks that this is me being confident)
 5 Tottenham Hotspur (Conte will chin someone)
 6 Chelsea (Tommy Tuchel's defence in transition fucks everything up)
 7 West Ham (David Moyes continues to be undeservedly good)
 8 Newcastle (Nothing Good Ever Happens 2)
 9 Brighton & Hove Albion (mainly here to annoy a Villa supporting friend who hates their manager because...)
 10 Aston Villa (improved team is improved)
 11 Crystal Palace (Viera to improve one place per season until he stabs Arteta and takes his job by right of conquest)
 12 Nottingham Forest if they have Jimmy Garner/Leeds
 13 Leicester City (no signings + Rodgers is mudded) 
 14 Wolves (Raul Jimenez is broken and they've got no goals)
 15 Nottingham Forest if they don't have Jimmy Garner/Leeds
 16 Southampton (Ralph will flee at first opportunity)
 17 Everton (should have just enough to stay up even if they are massively depressing)
 18 Brentford (second season syndrome)
 19 Bournemouth (meh signings bring nothing to a squad that is still only Championship level)
 20 Fulham (Andreas Pereira is not Fabio Carvalho and also they were the only team left. Really I should've probably decided top 4 and bottom 3 at the same time but oh well)

I know this comes off of the back of results yesterday, but I'd be very surprised if we finish below Forest and Bournemouth like a number have suggested. The first have got the same issue we have with splashing the cash on disparate players who will take time to gel, if ever. I know Bournemouth won, but I think thay says more about Villa than them - I don't think they've strengthened enough to stay up. 

I mean, I'll snap your hands off for 17th, naturally. But yeah, we come in with a stronger winning team, have strengthened well (though still need some more), and have a better manager for what we have to work with. It's a big ask, but we shall see.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Liam said:

I know this comes off of the back of results yesterday, but I'd be very surprised if we finish below Forest and Bournemouth like a number have suggested. The first have got the same issue we have with splashing the cash on disparate players who will take time to gel, if ever. I know Bournemouth won, but I think thay says more about Villa than them - I don't think they've strengthened enough to stay up. 

I mean, I'll snap your hands off for 17th, naturally. But yeah, we come in with a stronger winning team, have strengthened well (though still need some more), and have a better manager for what we have to work with. It's a big ask, but we shall see.

I think the performance from yesterday is a good indicator. I know we weren't at the races but Fulham threatened several times and if they can put up performances like that, I can see then taking points of the big teams and I can see them beating the teams around them. 

I know it's one game but I was impressed by Fulham

• Like 1

Fulham's issue (same goes for Norwich) is that they tend to ignore what brought them to the PL in the first place. If they impose themselves on games like the Championship, they should be fine for points. They can't do that every week for 90mins against the higher quality opposition obviously, but sitting back, looking inferior and waiting to get beat doesn't work too well either.

I honestly thought Brentford could go down with close to a record low points total last season. And then I saw their first game against Arsenal.

• Like 1

Well, they definitely imposed themselves on the game yesterday and I think on the balance of play probably deserved more than just the draw. And it wasn’t a particularly bad Liverpool performance, just a good Fulham performance.

Edited by Twist
  • Like 2

I think it's way too early to draw any conclusions from Match Day 1, especially when almost all of these teams have had their shortest summer break and preseasons probably ever. And clubs have even longer to (panic) react in the transfer market.

• Like 2

Post World Cup will make a huge difference as well. Those mid to upper table clubs with a lot of international players are going to have some very tired players, even with large squads. I imagine they’ll be some upset results in 2023 as a consequence.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baddar said:

I didn't see it but have saw the goals. I don't like watching matches on dry pitches myself. 👀

😊

That was a Gross miscalculation on your part....

• Sad 1

I'm probably oversimplifying this, but is Ten Hag's tactic of taking off Fred and McTominay for Ronaldo and Van Der Beek basically that thing you did in Championship Manager when you were getting beat and just chucked 5 attacking players as high as possible?