Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

Was sneakily hoping for a draw or a Spurs win to give false hope that we may get 4th. 

Then I also start to think how are we below Tottenham when they're this bad 

3 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Was sneakily hoping for a draw or a Spurs win to give false hope that we may get 4th. 

Then I also start to think how are we below Tottenham when they're this bad 

Spurs may genuinely finish in 8th. Liverpool, Villa, and Brighton all have legitimate chances to pass them and have all been in better form as of late. For your end you probably have nothing to worry about with regards to playing in Europe next year, but the Champions League spots feel rather locked up.

Assuming Kane will leave, to replace him we're going to have to scout players who don't want to play European football and have a keen interest in go-karting. 

Just got my emergency alert test through on my phone, which if it was accurate, should have come through when the third goal went in.

52 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Spurs fans can relax. I've just switched on the match so there will surely be no more goals.

lol I literally had to leave the room for Newcastle to score again.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, damhausen said:

Spurs may genuinely finish in 8th. Liverpool, Villa, and Brighton all have legitimate chances to pass them and have all been in better form as of late. For your end you probably have nothing to worry about with regards to playing in Europe next year, but the Champions League spots feel rather locked up.

Yeah, I can see a world where Liverpool get fifth. Any higher would require Liverpool to be a lot more consistent than they have been this season.

I'd like to see them give it a good go.  On paper, it's a squad built to get 90 points in a season or more. If they could finally start playing like that they'd be in with a chance.

If they can do that is the question.

15 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Yeah, I can see a world where Liverpool get fifth. Any higher would require Liverpool to be a lot more consistent than they have been this season.

I'd like to see them give it a good go.  On paper, it's a squad built to get 90 points in a season or more. If they could finally start playing like that they'd be in with a chance.

Goal differential may be big and that is currently in Liverpool's favor.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Once we know the complete FA Cup Final line-up then we can work out which spots get Europa League and which go to the Conference League, etc.

It’s currently 5th place UEL, 6th place UECL. If Man U make the final then it’s your standard 4-2-1 qualifying in the league for the top 7 positions (assuming Man U don’t completely capitulate over the last 7 games).

If Brighton make the final (and win) then their final league position will dictate the league qualifiers. So chance of finishing 6th and ending up missing out on the UEL for someone (but still ending up in UECL) if Brighton finish below 6th.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

I still see Brighton as the most likely to sneak in there. 4 points off Spurs with 3 (three!) games in hand, and playing so well at the moment with Mitoma flying and Enciso being eased in. The injury to Ferguson won't help and the fixture congestion will be horrendous especially if they make the FA Cup final, but they've been brilliant.

Edited by Colly

5 hours ago, Colly said:

I still see Brighton as the most likely to sneak in there. 4 points off Spurs with 3 (three!) games in hand, and playing so well at the moment with Mitoma flying and Enciso being eased in. The injury to Ferguson won't help and the fixture congestion will be horrendous especially if they make the FA Cup final, but they've been brilliant.

We'll have to see how today's result affects them too.

It is interesting thing to me that Newcastle, Brighton and Aston Villa are teams not used to being in the mix at this end of the table. The challenge will be keeping up the pace for the remainder of the season. Maybe Newcastle are slightly different case here though, I'm not sure.

I just can't see the "established big 6" keeping up the pace any more than them, Spurs and Chelsea are in disarray and while I'd fancy Liverpool to improve Brighton are still in pole position. I see the top 4 basically staying as is, with 5th and 6th being 1 of the "big 6" and one of the interlopers.

That said it wouldn't surprise me if Spurs got a weird result against Man Utd in midweek.