Premier League 2022/23

Lineker

Looking like we're going to be comfortably (for now) in 3rd after tonight. Can make that gap 8pts tomorrow and Newcastle's next league match is a trip to City. 

I feel like Newcastle need to settle themselves down after that to pick up some wins again, because Liverpool are coming for that 4th spot I reckon.

Top 6 for Newcastle this season would surely be acceptable anyway, but they were dreaming of much bigger only a few weeks ago.

The thing I take solace from is we were in a similar position when we finished 3rd with no centre backs so it's like 2 vital wins its points toward Europe and if we can carry this on then why can't we get 4th. 

Atm I feel like it's a slim outside chance but these two wins have been such a confidence boost. I honestly went into both games expecting draws or a loss today. The game was dead after 25 mins and we still had chances. I feel a bit more confident going into Madrid. 

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

Pope missing the final for that handball when there was a defender covering and it wasn't, at least in my eyes, a clear goalscoring opportunity, feels a bit harsh.

But we'll take it. 👀

It's blatant deliberate handball, there can be no argument about whether it's harsh or not. He's had a moment of absolute madness there and got it all wrong.

After the season Pope has had up to now, including penalty shoot-out heroics in the Carabao, for him to miss the game because he did that is astounding. Imagine all his family probably been given tickets for the match, he might as well sit with them now.

3 hours ago, Baddar said:

Looking like we're going to be comfortably (for now) in 3rd after tonight. Can make that gap 8pts tomorrow and Newcastle's next league match is a trip to City. 

I feel like Newcastle need to settle themselves down after that to pick up some wins again, because Liverpool are coming for that 4th spot I reckon.

Top 6 for Newcastle this season would surely be acceptable anyway, but they were dreaming of much bigger only a few weeks ago.

I'd have snapped your hand off for 7th at the start of the season. Anything above that is a bonus.

• Like 1

I think if we fell below 6th I'd be disappointed given where we've been, but the squad isn't ready for Champions League anyway and the Europa might be a bit more affordable for away trips...

All that said, I'm still far more worried about Spurs than I am Liverpool. Obviously they didn't really have to get out of second gear after the red, but bar 15 minutes of madness with some horrendous defending from our usually solid back 4 (meanest in the league™) the game was far more open than it should have been. Had Maxi got that goal before half time, or Wilson 10 mins from time there was a game there, and I've have been even more stunned by the bizarre 3 mins added at the end. Trent's long ball for the first was great, but I'd love to see his 5 yard pass completion, felt like half of them went to a black and white shirt.

I think once we get the League Cup out of the way (yes, still bitter about the ticket situation) and our best midfielder back in after 3 out I think we'll start turning those draws back into wins, so it's not a forgone conclusion that we drop out.

The squad not being ready for Champions League is irrelevant really, if you qualify this season you can just buy 5-6 new top class players for a cool £200m in the summer.

If I were a Newcastle fan I'd be very disappointed to fall lower than top 6 now. They've been up there all season and have only lost to Liverpool in the league.

• Like 1

Mad how we are only 6 points of 4th (3 if we win our game in hand) despite playing what has felt like our worst season in a long time. 

Be funny if we got top 4 now similar to when we had no centre backs for half a season.

Beheaddie Howe's post match comments about being a harsh red then saying he doesn't know the rules did make me chuckle. Karius' redemption story is upon us now. 

• Admin

John W Henry, Liverpool’s principal owner, has confirmed Fenway Sports Group is not looking to sell the club.

FSG has been open to outside investment in Liverpool for several years and enlisted the investment banks Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley in a sales presentation for the club in November. The move fuelled speculation that the Boston-based company could sell a majority stake in Liverpool, who they have owned since 2010.

Henry has clarified that Liverpool are not for sale and that FSG appointed the two banks to help sound out potential investors. He confirmed the company’s intentions in a rare interview with the Boston Sports Journal before the first day of spring training for the Boston Red Sox, the Major League Baseball franchise that FSG also owns.

Henry was asked by the Journal’s Sean McAdam, in an email exchange, whether he could state with confidence that the Red Sox would not be sold in the near future given FSG’s purchase of the Pittsburgh Penguins ice hockey team and the potential sale of Liverpool.

Henry replied: “Yes. I know there has been a lot of conversation and quotes about LFC, but I keep to the facts: we merely formalized an ongoing process. Will we be in England forever? No. Are we selling LFC? No. Are talking with investors about LFC? Yes. Will something happen there? I believe so, but it won’t be a sale. Have we sold anything in the past 20+ years?”

FSG bought Liverpool for £300m and is close to completing its redevelopment plans for Anfield with a new £80m stand on Anfield Road. FSG sold a 10% stake in the company to RedBird Capital Partners in March 2021 for £543m. It is seeking fresh investment in Liverpool before what is expected to be a summer of significant change for Jürgen Klopp’s team.

Positive is that we're not selling our soul (yet) to a sportswashing project.

They're not bad owners FSG bar the super league debacle, letting the midfield get into a state and the failed ticket price hike. Done a good job with the ground and we have won everything possible under them. They've got a big summer job on their hands like. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

Positive is that we're not selling our soul (yet) to a sportswashing project.

They're not bad owners FSG bar the super league debacle, letting the midfield get into a state and the failed ticket price hike. Done a good job with the ground and we have won everything possible under them. They've got a big summer job on their hands like. 

Yeah but the pipe dream of Mount/Jelly Belly is there, the pipe dream