NFL 2022

Lineker

Lost in all of this…that FanDuel Gronk thing was hilarious.  Spent weeks hyping him doing a kick during a “live commercial” in the 3rd quarter for $10 million in free bets.  It clearly wasn’t live, it didn’t even look clear that he missed it.  But they’re giving out the money anyway.

Was always just a ploy for them to say “see we’re nice guys giving you all free money”.

• Like 1

Yeah on the camera replay, you see some tugging of the jersey and then after the receiver turns his hips/body the arm goes around him and the hands are attached. Tough call but hard to argue against from what I saw on the replay. Both teams played a heck of a game though and are to be commended!

• Lineker changed the title to NFL 2022
1 hour ago, RoHitman Reigns said:

That was a hold. James Bradberry admitted in the locker room that he tugged on the jersey and hoped the refs would let it slide. So what seemed questionable was confirmed by the player involved. 

But he did the same thing earlier and it wasn't called.

As a player, you play the game as its called.

And as a ref, you don't let the fucking Super Bowl be decided by a holding penalty

16 hours ago, METALMAN said:

Oh so Rihanna is doing the half time? That's the first good one they've had for about ten years. Might have a look.

Okay just checked it and it wasn’t worth it in the end. But well done to Rihanna for being the first person I rate to have played the show since the year 2012.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Justin Buschlander said:

Eagles fans who blame the refs when the team couldn't stop a nosebleed in the second half are hilariously delusional.

Pretty awful showing for Jonathan Gannon and his refusal to make adjustments, Cards should be careful what they wish for if they really want to hire him.

He reminds me a ton of Spagnuolo coincidentally. Completely implodes when he can't get pressure on the QB.

Yeah just because you got away with it once doesn’t mean you should expect a free pass for the rest of the game though.  If a Super Bowl is on the line you shouldn’t be risking a flag for an illegal move.  

• Like 2

I've seen people call for taking away the automatic 1st down for defensive holding, just make it 5 yards and that's it.

If they took away the automatic 1st they'd probably try to counter balance by making it a 10 yard penalty.  9 times out of 10 this would give you an automatic 1st anyway.  But when it's 3rd and 15 and a CB can sense he's gonna get beat, there would be little reason for him to not reach for the jersey.

Can't see the league ever putting in rules to help the defense, let alone ones that would encourage Belichick-esque intentional defensive penalties.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Justin Buschlander said:

If they took away the automatic 1st they'd probably try to counter balance by making it a 10 yard penalty.  9 times out of 10 this would give you an automatic 1st anyway.  But when it's 3rd and 15 and a CB can sense he's gonna get beat, there would be little reason for him to not reach for the jersey.

This is exactly why it's an automatic first down and why DPI is a spot foul. You shouldn't be incentivized to break the rules, otherwise you end up with shit like the DPIs on deep balls on college.

I'm all for turning the dial back to more even between offense and defense, but that isn't the way.

• Like 2

Looking at the Chiefs' home schedule for next season.  The NFL's got two months to figure out who they want getting that season opening game between the Bengals, Bills, or a SB rematch with the Eagles.  Would be surprised if it's not one of those three but can't rule out the Chargers (division rival + Chiefs/Chargers games are usually good) or the Raiders if Rodgers goes there.

15 hours ago, Lint said:

But he did the same thing earlier and it wasn't called.

As a player, you play the game as its called.

And as a ref, you don't let the fucking Super Bowl be decided by a holding penalty

How about the offsides on the 3rd and 1 that led to a then bad pass from Hurts and the turnover?

How about Hurts fumble?

How about that the great defense of Philly couldn’t get a single sack on Mahomes all game?

How about the fact that Philly had touchdowns where people were left asking how the receiver was that wide open?

How about that bad punt coverage from Philly

But you are right, none of those decided the game, that one call was what made Philly lose and they had nothing they could do better to win the game. 

As Jason Kelce said earlier in the year and is being proven by you, lose a game and a call will be blown out of proportion instead of looking at what the team could have done better. Had the Eagles won, there wouldn’t be anywhere near as much hate towards that call coming forth. 

• Like 4

My general thought on that particular defensive holding is akin to my thoughts on deliberately underthrown balls resulting in PI. You're exploiting the rules to draw penalties. It's an incredibly tough judgment, but certain plays are drawn specifically to draw penalties and it always sits poorly with me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RoHitman Reigns said:

How about the offsides on the 3rd and 1 that led to a then bad pass from Hurts and the turnover?

How about Hurts fumble?

How about that the great defense of Philly couldn’t get a single sack on Mahomes all game?

How about the fact that Philly had touchdowns where people were left asking how the receiver was that wide open?

How about that bad punt coverage from Philly

But you are right, none of those decided the game, that one call was what made Philly lose and they had nothing they could do better to win the game. 

As Jason Kelce said earlier in the year and is being proven by you, lose a game and a call will be blown out of proportion instead of looking at what the team could have done better. Had the Eagles won, there wouldn’t be anywhere near as much hate towards that call coming forth. 

You're right. 

I was speaking emotionally, in the heat of the moment, and after consuming a lot of alcohol.

Yes, that one penalty did not change the course of the game.  Our defense shit the bed, particularly especially in the 2nd half.

Our ST game has been kinda bad all season.  Siposs wasn't good, Kern wasn't any better, but I wouldn't have brought back Siposs after he'd been out.  Theres been rumbling amongst Eagles fans that our ST game would cost us a game.  I just didn't think it'd be a return to the 5 in the SB

Reading that tweet back about everything Mahomes has accomplished in just 5 years as a starter.  I do think he could retire now and get to Canton already, which is wild to think about but 2 rings and 2 Super Bowl MVPs is rarified enough air as is, nevermind 2 league MVPs and 5 straight conference title trips.  

That said the "Baby GOAT" stuff is probably overblown.  He's certainly setting himself on the trajectory to get there but those Mount Rushmore guys all have the longevity going for them.  Mahomes doesn't need to win another ring or anything but he needs to stick around and pile up the numbers, which I'm sure he will.

As for my own personal fandom since I've been watching since the mid-90s, where eye test is all that really matters...I'd probably put him top 3 behind Brady and Peyton.

33 minutes ago, Justin Buschlander said:

Reading that tweet back about everything Mahomes has accomplished in just 5 years as a starter.  I do think he could retire now and get to Canton already, which is wild to think about but 2 rings and 2 Super Bowl MVPs is rarified enough air as is, nevermind 2 league MVPs and 5 straight conference title trips.  

That said the "Baby GOAT" stuff is probably overblown.  He's certainly setting himself on the trajectory to get there but those Mount Rushmore guys all have the longevity going for them.  Mahomes doesn't need to win another ring or anything but he needs to stick around and pile up the numbers, which I'm sure he will.

As for my own personal fandom since I've been watching since the mid-90s, where eye test is all that really matters...I'd probably put him top 3 behind Brady and Peyton.

I think he's going to get there as far as GOAT status is concerned. 

But like you said, eye test, I'm not sure I've seen a QB as gifted as him in any era. 

• Like 1