2023 NFL Off-Season thread

Lineker

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I kinda hate it because I always feel bad for people but wow I have to admire this at the same time :lol: 

The drama this has caused is so beyond anything. 

So right after winning the game on Sunday, Travis Kelce went on a big rant about how “nobody believed we could win it all”, “nobody thought we’d be here” etc.  and today Mahomes at the Super Bowl parade said “they said we were rebuilding this year, I don’t know what rebuilding means.”

Like…what?  They were in the top 3 of the Super Bowl winner odds all year.  Tons of analysts predicted them to win it in August.  Everyone knew their floor was, at worst, a comfortable playoff berth.  And nobody, absolutely nobody, thought they were rebuilding.

It’s just baffling that some athletes thrive on adversity to such an extent that they have to make shit up to stay motivated.

• Haha 2

There absolutely was talk of them taking a step back without Tyreek throughout the offseason that extended throughout the season and lingered going into the post season. Kelce isn't wrong. 

There were people out here predicting the Broncos would be good and win that division.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He is wrong though.  His actual words were:  "not a single one of y'all said the Chiefs were gonna take it home this year.  Not a single one!"  It's demonstrably untrue, tons of NFL reporters and pundits still had them winning it all and not everybody bought into the idea that the lack of Tyreek would ruin their offense.  Bart Scott is the only person I can think of who predicted the Chiefs to totally miss the playoffs (thank you, Freezing Cold Takes twitter account), most people figured at worst they'd be a playoff team because they have the best QB in the entire sport and that's very often enough to at least get to January.  If he actually thinks nobody thought they'd win it all then he's either got real selective hearing or he's living in a cave.  Not saying there's anything wrong with thinking this way, clearly it helps him.  I just find it strange.

You'd hear a lot of similar stuff out of Boston during a lot of the Pats' run.  Belichick and Brady reportedly made sure to show the team every single negative piece of media about them, just manufacturing a chip to put on their shoulder.  And it carried over to the fanbase too.  Listening to Pats' fans you'd think that they were perpetual underdogs even during multiple dynasties.

• Like 3

• Admin

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Bears took another step toward leaving Soldier Field on Wednesday when the team announced it has officially closed on its purchase of the 326-acre Arlington Park property.

The latest milestone for the Bears was delivered in an open letter from the team's Twitter account. The Bears again stated that closing on the $197.2 million purchase does not guarantee the development of the team's plan for a domed stadium.

"Finalizing the purchase does not guarantee the land will be developed, but it is an important next step in our ongoing evaluation of the opportunity," the statement read. "There is still a tremendous amount of due diligence work to be done to determine if constructing an enclosed state-of-the-art stadium and multi-purpose entertainment district is feasible."

The team said the development in suburban Arlington Heights, Illinois, could create more than 48,000 jobs and generate $9.4 billion in economic impact for the Chicagoland economy. The city of Chicago has made several attempts to keep the Bears at Soldier Field, where the team has played for the past 50 years, including its latest proposal to put a roof over the 61,500-seat stadium.

The office of Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot, who is running for reelection in two weeks, released a statement that said the Bears' closure of the Arlington Park property has "been anticipated for some time."

"Nonetheless, all of us die hard Bears fans, the Mayor included, know and believe that the Chicago Bears should remain in Chicago," the statement read. "So, now that the land deal has closed, we have an even better opportunity to continue making the business case as to why the Bears should remain in Chicago and why adaptations to Soldier Field can meet and exceed all of the Bears' future needs."

From what I've heard/read, the bigger challenge is that nobody really knows if Arlington Heights has the current infrastructure to handle the crowds for these big stadium events. I've been to Foxboro and East Rutherford outside of NFL season and they're kinda sad places, lot of hotels sitting empty.

Maybe the hope is the stadium is the centerpiece of a full entertainment/recreation district, which is what they've tried (and failed) to turn both Foxboro and East Rutherford into over the years.