2023 NFL Off-Season thread

Lineker

Carr's 4/150 is really 3/100 and a $50 million final year that's a near certain void.  Geno is 3/105.  The pay scale for the mid-range QB tier is set and it's still pretty lofty.

So that brings eyes back to Jones.  He has the Giants over a barrel because he knows they don't want to tag him - they want him signed to a contract where they can lower his cap hit so they can actually improve the roster around him.  But now the market for mid-tier QBs is set.  I don't see how Jones can make a valid argument that he should get significantly more than Carr or Geno.  If he's seriously thinks he should get more he's not even really negotiating anymore.  I'd guess if they do reach a deal it won't be til right before the 4 PM franchise tag deadline to see who blinks.

Jones doesn't owe the Giants anything after they didn't pick up his 5th year option, and I don't blame players for trying to squeeze every last dollar they can.  But we're headed to a situation where most of the fanbase will be ready to vilify him if he forces the team to tag him.  I've seen people calling for them to just tell Jones to have fun in Tampa and draft a QB while handing the job to Tyrod for a year.

QBs are so incredibly overpaid. Mediocre ass QBs making $35 million a year is absolutely insane. Especially in a season that's, at most, 20-21 games. NFL season counting OTAs are at most what, 8-9 months a year? But more likely 6-7? I'm not sure.

Just seems like the numbers keep getting more insane, to the detriment of the team.

• Like 1

Apparently a bunch of kids were out at 1 AM with Nerf guns and Joe Mixon got scared that a kid had a real gun and shot him. Thankfully it was in the leg and the kid is fine. The tweet where I first found out about this was actually ended with #whodey. Fans are fucking weird dude. Like I don't know if I blame Mixon for this happening but if say Justin Fields did the same thing I wouldn't be like "QB shot a guy last night! #Beardown".

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Apparently a bunch of kids were out at 1 AM with Nerf guns and Joe Mixon got scared that a kid had a real gun and shot him. Thankfully it was in the leg and the kid is fine. The tweet where I first found out about this was actually ended with #whodey. Fans are fucking weird dude. Like I don't know if I blame Mixon for this happening but if say Justin Fields did the same thing I wouldn't be like "QB shot a guy last night! #Beardown".

"Told you that Fields doesn't have accuracy issues. #Beardown"

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Why were kids out at 1am with NERF guns? 🤔

11 hours ago, livid said:

Good. Let's get this show on the road already. 

So, Aaron Rodgers to the Vikings in 2 years? :shifty: 

And honestly, it just baffles me that journeymen QBs are getting that kind of salary. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I actually have some inside scoops on this through my friend who lives in Cincy and through a friend knows the teen shot. It was at 835, not 1am, when this happened. Nerf wars is a huge thing in Cincy that kids play. Kid was dressed in all black and went onto Mixon's property. Not sure how it became known he was on the yard, but someone in the house saw the kid, and fired 11 shots, which is insane to me. Mixon/his sister are saying it wasn't him who shot the kid. Kid was shot in the leg, but is thankfully going to be okay! I don't think it was a case of Mixon/gunman saw a nerf gun and thought real gun, but more saw someone in all black acting suspicious and thought it was an intruder. Whole thing could have been avoided.

• Thanks 2

QBs are so scarce you basically have to spend that while you try to retool at all your other positions. A big thing that will be pointed out is veteran players know what teams are doing by how much/little they address the QB position. So the Saints having a true 2 year commitment to Carr (year 3 will be his last year so he's benchable at that point) means veterans might be willing to go there, NO has time to find a QB in the draft, and if they find that QB the window opens while they're on the rookie deal.

Bit of a risk assuming a team breaks what appears to possibly be a collusive effort by owners to treat the Watson contract as an outlier. But not a surprise, it's been mentioned by multiple people that since he doesn't have an agent he is potentially being given bad info by the NFLPA in their fight to do away with non-guaranteed money. Now he can go and see what really is out there, and the Ravens have every opportunity to match. Not that they will match on a fully guaranteed contract, but again I have a hunch there's collusion to keep that from being offered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, damhausen said:

Bit of a risk assuming a team breaks what appears to possibly be a collusive effort by owners to treat the Watson contract as an outlier. 

Numerous QB-needy teams have already publicly stated they aren’t gonna pursue Jackson.  Even though it costs absolutely nothing to just talk to him and gauge what he even wants.  Definitely smells of collusion.

As for Jones…more money than I would’ve liked.  But the reality is that the QB market is bananas now.  Any remotely decent QB is gonna get close to $40 million.  Can only imagine how absurd the Burrow contract will be.

3 hours ago, Justin Buschlander said:

Numerous QB-needy teams have already publicly stated they aren’t gonna pursue Jackson.  Even though it costs absolutely nothing to just talk to him and gauge what he even wants.  Definitely smells of collusion.

It's weird nobody is lining up to talk to him. He has no agent, so we can't ever get a clear picture. Maybe he has made it known already that unless you're coming with a deal bigger than what Watson got, don't bother. But you figure you'd at least shoot your shot by bringing him in for a day to talk. I definitely don't think anyone wants to give a QB who has ended the last 2 seasons in the IR a fully guaranteed deal - and I think there was only 1 team who even considered it for Watson. There is just zero appetite for it.

In the end though, if those rumors of teams refusing to negotiate trades with Cleveland are true it definitely feels like the owners and front offices had a chat.

I would hope, for Lamar's sake, the NFLPA just tells him to sign a long-term deal. I know they wanted him to be their guinea pig, and the lack of agent made that a prime opportunity, but proving collusion is nigh impossible. Just tell the man to get his money.