Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

Seems like FSG are indeed getting ready to buy another club. Benfica Technical Director Pedro Marques is set to join the new setup headed by Michael Edwards. Both are going to be working for FSG and not Liverpool directly, per David Ornstein 

Whether they stay up or get relegated, Nottingham Forest are going to have a struggle to keep Morgan Gibbs White this summer. He's not a Big Six player, but I think he's definitely a Premier League quality player and almost always Forest's best player each weekend. 

Insert obligatory what about City statement here.

If this point deduction is the reason Forest end up going down that will be heartbreaking for them. I reckon they have enough quality to stay up as the three teams that have came up just aren't good enough.

Forest can only really blame themselves for being in the position they are in the table, even disregarding the points deduction. They've dropped more points from leading positions than any other team by quite a margin.

And even with the obligatory "What about City?" out of the way, their spending last season basically became a meme, it's hardly surprising that they broke rules in doing so.

• Like 1

and even at that, Man City is a different case relating to sponsorship revenue, not transfers.

It's going to be easier to say "Nottingham Forest overspent when they signed Jonjo Shelvey and breached the spending rules" than sort 126 charges against Man City which is going to take years. 

In an ideal world, these cases will prove the testing ground for what eventually may happen to City.

The fact it goes to an online public vote is ridiculous really, if the shortlist is 10 each time there'll be players on the shortlist for years. Not that anyone cares of course.

They inducted Ashley Cole without a vote so I wouldn't be surprised if they do that again, particularly if anyone hangs around on the shortlist without ever getting voted in.

I am curious what will separate non-shortlist players from those getting in right away in the future. Obviously a currently active player like Harry Kane or Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't need to be put up to a vote once they retire. But there's presumably going to be years where that slam dunk inductee isn't there and do they just look at the prior year's shortlist for the best player who didn't get in?

Yet more Chelsea players who returned from injury for maybe 2 games are now injured again (Chukwuemeka, Sanchez, Chalobah). This alongside confirmation that Lavia (still not 100% convinced he's a real person) is ruled out for the remainder of the season after that 5 minute cameo he got in December, or whenever that was.

I know injury problems are ubiquitous, but the repeated pattern of these Chelsea players really does make me wonder if the entire medical staff is literally incompetent OR if something even more ridiculous is causing these absences.