2024 NFL Off-Season thread

Lineker

So my hope now with Darnold being signed is, I guess, that the VIkings are able to snag one of McCarthy, Penix Jr., or Nix. I would also accept swinging a trade for Justin Fields if the price is right - I sure hope that one of those two scenarios is the deal and Darnold is aware he is on premium backup duty.

21 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Hoping for Dobbins fresh out of college maybe.  Pretty sure @gunnar hendershow isn’t sad to see him leave Baltimore.

We re-signed our long snapper.  Starting to think Jerry saying we’re All In meant he’s planning on visiting Wembley this summer.

• Haha 2

Lock is a decent enough backup.  Probably not as good as Tyrod, but Tyrod himself is very injury prone which is the last thing the team needs if they're actually running back one more year of Jones.

If they do run back Jones again it feels like the season is probably a punt even after handing out a massive Burns contract.  To be fair, 2022-level play from Jones which got him the contract in the first place would be totally fine but with all of his injuries it's difficult to see that happening.

Moreover, they're in a precarious situation because Jones' contract is set up in a way where they can get out of the deal this time next year very easily, unless he plays and gets hurt, in which case he's got injury protection built in which would move his dead money hit from like $20 million to $45 million.  Basically the worst thing that can happen for the Giants is Jones playing and then getting hurt again, which he has every season except 2022.

I think taking a QB early in the draft is still in play and I've gotta just trust Schoen and Daboll if they really think "their guy" is there.  If this happens I'd expect the rookie and Lock to play in 2024 and the team will just awkwardly carry Jones as a healthy scratch so they can cut bait next year.

• Admin
3 hours ago, The Buscher said:

Lock is a decent enough backup.  Probably not as good as Tyrod, but Tyrod himself is very injury prone which is the last thing the team needs if they're actually running back one more year of Jones.

If they do run back Jones again it feels like the season is probably a punt even after handing out a massive Burns contract.  To be fair, 2022-level play from Jones which got him the contract in the first place would be totally fine but with all of his injuries it's difficult to see that happening.

Moreover, they're in a precarious situation because Jones' contract is set up in a way where they can get out of the deal this time next year very easily, unless he plays and gets hurt, in which case he's got injury protection built in which would move his dead money hit from like $20 million to $45 million.  Basically the worst thing that can happen for the Giants is Jones playing and then getting hurt again, which he has every season except 2022.

I think taking a QB early in the draft is still in play and I've gotta just trust Schoen and Daboll if they really think "their guy" is there.  If this happens I'd expect the rookie and Lock to play in 2024 and the team will just awkwardly carry Jones as a healthy scratch so they can cut bait next year.

Tyrod wasn't coming back. He's the Rodgers backup for the Jets. Talking of whom...

• Haha 8

27 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Tyrod wasn't coming back. He's the Rodgers backup for the Jets. Talking of whom...

I remember talking with my boss at work (fellow Giants fan) and we both suggested the Giants should call the Jets to see if they had any interest in Tyrod last year.  They could’ve been a playoff team had they not just stubbornly plowed ahead with Zach Wilson.

Anyway, Rodgers leaving the Jets to be a VP of a doomed campaign and never completing a pass with the team would be hysterical.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

But I thought... what happened to no distractions?

• Confused 1

Spoiled (deals with sexual assault):

Spoiler

IDK if anyone mentioned it here but the Chiefs signed "Punt God/Former Sexual Assault Suspect" Matt Araiza - I guess from everything I've read about the case he has been cleared of any wrongdoing in that instance (reports found he wasn't at the party when/where the SA occurred) so it is hard to find fault with the Chiefs for signing him but it still just feels yucky for some reason - like weren't there other punters available? At the same time, I know thats unfair to him though since he went through the investigation and was cleared.

2 hours ago, Krabby said:

Spoiled (deals with sexual assault):

Hide contents

IDK if anyone mentioned it here but the Chiefs signed "Punt God/Former Sexual Assault Suspect" Matt Araiza - I guess from everything I've read about the case he has been cleared of any wrongdoing in that instance (reports found he wasn't at the party when/where the SA occurred) so it is hard to find fault with the Chiefs for signing him but it still just feels yucky for some reason - like weren't there other punters available? At the same time, I know thats unfair to him though since he went through the investigation and was cleared.

I'm all for cancelling people who have done what he had been accused of, but the flip side of that is if they're cleared you need to let them back in to society. You can't have an accusation, if not proven, ruin someone's life.

It sucks, because SA is often so hard to prove, but there needs to be balance on both sides or it become weaponized.

• Like 5