2024 NFL Off-Season thread

Lineker

The Vikings seem to be positioning to move up even higher but it seems tough to imagine they can get to the very top of the draft.

-The Bears are staying put and taking Caleb from all accounts.  If they changed their mind they'd probably only move down to 2 or 3, certainly not trading the #1 pick into the division and falling that far in the draft.

-The Commies are clearly taking a QB at #2.  They just traded Howell, their fanbase's reaction to not getting a QB would make January 6th look tame.  It's a QB.

-The Pats also have a very clear and obvious need at QB, mercifully got rid of Mac Jones and Jacoby Brissett feels like the quintessential "here's our stopgap QB until the rookie is ready" guy.  Maybe they don't like the QB board and will move down but #3 to #11 would be a big drop and they'd need a haul to sell it to the fans as a punt season.

-The Cards at #4 clearly want a WR and are staring at a great chance to get the #1 WR on the board.  Certainly they wouldn't want to lose out on the top 3 which is a real possibility going down to 11, if the Cards take that deal they'd need to be ready to quickly go back up and it's risky.

-The Chargers trading Keenan Allen on top of releasing Mike Williams makes this pick seem like a stone cold lock for WR.  Same thing as the Cards, they don't want to fall out of top 3 WR range.

• Like 2

Wow. I absolutely didn't expect that breaking news to pop up on my phone. Aaron Donalds retiring is a massive, massive surprise.

I truly hope that it's a decision made by him for reasons of not wanting to play anymore instead of health issues or something bad 

Conversely, I'm not surprised at all. It was rumoured last off-season, he's put a lot of miles on his body. Hell of a career, it goes without saying.

It's also great news, as a Cardinals fan, that we don't have to play him twice a year anymore.

11 minutes ago, Adam said:

Conversely, I'm not surprised at all. It was rumoured last off-season, he's put a lot of miles on his body. Hell of a career, it goes without saying.

It's also great news, as a Cardinals fan, that we don't have to play him twice a year anymore.

I believe it was rumored after the Super Bowl too and he may have even been asked about it right after the game.

Analytics generally don't lie about careers and he's either a top 3 lock or the greatest interior defensive lineman of all-time.

• Like 2

At the HOF selection meeting, generally a media rep from the market of the candidate's primary NFL team will do a presentation for the candidate, highlighting their credentials and explaining why they ought to be one of the 5 modern era inductees that year, answering questions, then tons of debate over which guys would make the cut.  Hence, the meeting often goes 8-10 hours.  There's an unspoken tradition that when there's a guy who is so overwhelmingly an obvious choice even among the other amazing players on the ballot that they won't waste even more time debating the player.  The presentation is just the guy's name being said and then they move on to the next.

It's rarely ever done and when it is it is for the most obvious of obvious candidates.  Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Brett Favre, Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning etc.

Aaron Donald is pretty much in that category.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krabby said:

Something I am hearing from some Vikings fans is that they want Jayden Daniels for the LSU connection to Justin Jefferson

They didn't play together, if anything, Jayden Daniels is more of an ASU product anyway, hence why if anyone moves up for them it'll be the Raiders, since Antonio Pierce coached him in HS and college.

As for Aaron Donald, he's, at worst, the third best IDL of all time. I'd have Reggie White and probably Alan Page ahead of him, but that's it.. Truly a first ballot HOFer and damn near a unicorn.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DMN in the House said:

They didn't play together, if anything, Jayden Daniels is more of an ASU product anyway, hence why if anyone moves up for them it'll be the Raiders, since Antonio Pierce coached him in HS and college.

As for Aaron Donald, he's, at worst, the third best IDL of all time. I'd have Reggie White and probably Alan Page ahead of him, but that's it.. Truly a first ballot HOFer and damn near a unicorn.

I assume you mean Randy White? There's a lot of guys right below that top 3, Joe Greene and Warren Sapp come to mind. But it's very much a locked in top 3.

38 minutes ago, DMN in the House said:

Oh yeah, I know they didn't play together. I think the notion I've heard from ppl around here is that is a fellow LSU guy and, hopefully, a top QB to boot, would help keep Jefferson a happy camper and productive 

30 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I assume you mean Randy White? There's a lot of guys right below that top 3, Joe Greene and Warren Sapp come to mind. But it's very much a locked in top 3.

No, I meant Reggie, because it's been a lifetime since he played and I forgot he was an end, which means that Alan Page, who has a MVP, is the only one I'd argue for above Donald. I had forgotten about Randy White, he's gotta be up there, and, yeah, Green and Sapp are pretty much the next rung down for me. Half my brain is also telling me to mention Cortez Kennedy, but the other half isn't so sure if he actually belongs in the conversation, or if it's just because he's one of my favorite players of all time. John Randle is probably close to that second tier for me.

Sorry, I ramble, but I played defensive tackle, so DTs, and defensive lineman in general, have always been one of the things I pay the most attention to when watching football, so I kind of nerd out, lol.

3 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Oh yeah, I know they didn't play together. I think the notion I've heard from ppl around here is that is a fellow LSU guy and, hopefully, a top QB to boot, would help keep Jefferson a happy camper and productive 

I think Daniels is going to be good, he's who I've wanted for the Raiders since before the college season even ended, so I think he'd be a great choice for Min. I don't know if he's going to be there at 11, though, but then I wouldn't take Maye or McCarthy over him and that might happen, so who knows.

• Like 1

Instead of trading Fields and drafting Caleb Williams, the Bears should be focusing on improving their offensive line and receiving core.

The Ravens offense is now going to be scarier next year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Instead of trading Fields and drafting Caleb Williams, the Bears should be focusing on improving their offensive line and receiving core.

The Ravens offense is now going to be scarier next year.

Regardless of how you feel about Fields on the, uh, field, he's damaged goods in Chicago, and, with DJ Moore and Keenan Allen, there's no way you can sell going with Marvin Harrison Jr. over Caleb Williams. They cannot go into next season with Fields as their QB1, that would be a disaster for them.