E3 2014 thread

Miyamoto was playing something that looked like Starfox in the background and hinted at the idea of using the screen and the gamepad to play. Can't be sure though, it was totally blurred.

My favorite thing was by far that there's going to be a Kirby's Epic Yarn sequel. That game was great. Nothing that'll convince me to pick up a Wii U any time soon, though.

That amiibo stuff is evil... just wait until they do that with Pokemon and every parent across the nation goes broke.

This was pretty great stuff from Nintendo. Though they probably release 1 game for every 10 that come out on on PS4 and XBO, but they're all games I would play. Splatoon isn't really my thing, but it's at least a new IP and looks more fun than the typical Call of Shooty type game.

Since we knew a Zelda was in the works, I don't think they brought out the big guns like new Metroid or a big time new IP, but a lot of franchises got some love and it does look like that was a Star Fox game at the end. Looking like a good year for Nintendo, but yeah, what that nerd in the video said, give us a new Earthbound.

Splatoon isn't really my thing, but it's at least a new IP and looks more fun than the typical Call of Shooty type game.

Well let's be fair, there's other people trying stuff like that - a pretty big game launched this year with the "family friendly multiplayer shooter" concept.

Splatoon isn't really my thing, but it's at least a new IP and looks more fun than the typical Call of Shooty type game.

Well let's be fair, there's other people trying stuff like that - a pretty big game launched this year with the "family friendly multiplayer shooter" concept.

I totally forgot about Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare. As most others probably did.

Just finished Sony's conference. Not much new stuff, but man, some of those games look gorgeous. I'm kind of over Uncharted, but a new LBP? Sign me up. And No Man's Sky looks drop dead gorgeous. If it even half lives up to it's potential, it'll be incredible.

Sucks about the lack of Vita coverage. I love my Vita, such a great console. It's got nothing on 3DS when it comes to big titles, but what it does have is lovely. It's going to suck when they're totally forgotten about it in a year or two.

EDIT: Also, Arkham Knight looks great, like, amazingly detailed. But it looks like a bigger world means it'll continue to be completely devoid of life.

We're in a culture where people want to see something, no matter what they have of it - so they show as little as possible that they know is going to make the final cut. Ubisoft likely had a lesson in this by showing such a long preview of Watch Dogs years earlier only to have the game change into something different over time.

Nintendo absolutely knocked it out of the park for me - no surprises there, as I'm firmly in the role of "resident Nintendo fanboy" here now, but that was an awesome line-up. My girlfriend and I said from the first Captain Toad level that there would be a spin-off game; we expected a 3DS thing, the real thing looks so much bigger and fancier, and better, than I imagined. New Kirby and Yoshi is awesome, though too kiddy for me - but I'm not the target audience. Saying that, I absolutely adored Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Pretty much everything else was great. New Zelda is stunning, new details for new Xenoblade, and all that fun stuff, Mario Maker looks amazing. I don't know how people can say "yeah, if you like Mario" at this point when the line-up for the WiiU looks far more varied and promising than anything else.

• Like 1

Yeah, I mean, it's not like the only two games so far (in the two year life of this console) that have sold at all are Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D

And at what point is "more varied and promising" not entirely your opinion? I quite liked the Nintendo conference, it had all the old favorites and one new IP (because hey, Nintendo). It really wasn't any more varied or promising (to me, at least) than any of the other conferences. It's the usual Nintendo selection - if you're not into our franchises, we have barely anything else for you. It's the entire reason that third party support for the Wii U has become entirely non-existent. I can't even think of anything outside of Bayonetta that's coming out for it.

My "If you like Mario" comment wasn't even a jab, it's the only big title that Wii U has had for ages. You might want to keep in mind that a lot of us got tired of Mario and Zelda and the rest of the N64 gen games a long time ago. And it's been kicking around, barely innovating a lot longer than the gritty, modern FPS genre has.

My "If you like Mario" comment wasn't even a jab, it's the only big title that Wii U has had for ages. You might want to keep in mind that a lot of us got tired of Mario a long time ago. And it's been kicking around, barely innovating a lot longer than the gritty, modern FPS genre has.

Totally disagree with the "barely innovating" line unless you're talking about the New Super Mario Bros. games, which yeah, are more of the same. But in terms of the main Mario console series, there have only been 12 games since 1985. There have been 11 Call of Duty games since 2003. And aside from Maybe Mario 64 and Galaxy, I'd say most of those games are pretty different from each other, certainly more differences between them and every FPS since Modern Warfare.

Again, maybe it's just that gaming has left me behind, but I'll take a great Nintendo game (which most of them are) over the collection of okay-to-good that gets passed off today. I like shooting people and punching them in the face as Batman too, but Nintendo games are home.

Of course, I say that while Miyamoto is showing off a Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots game that looks awful during the Treehouse event.

• Like 6

That's my point though, it comes down entirely to what you like in a game. Nintendo really has never been for me, I've never cared for Mario nor Zelda.

You keep pointing out Call of Duty. The difference is that Call of Duty is one franchise among many that does that, one that people have been critical of for not changing for years now. Nintendo is pretty much the only ones producing games for their consoles. Activision isn't the only company making PS4/Xbone games. Nintendo (and in house, Nintendo studios) is the only one making Wii U ones, though.

I appreciate Nintendo for what they've done and they've got some fun stuff in the works. But if I don't like what Nintendo is selling, there's nearly no reason for me to buy a Wii U. Because they're basically the only ones making games for it now.

And I'm not really sure how the "okay-to-good that get's passed off today" can be considered anything but a difference of opinion. I'll take titles like Last of Us, Nii-no-Kuni, Mass Effect, Watch Dogs, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Batman and so on over Mario Party 42 any day of the week.

I'm not denying there's good stuff on the main consoles, I bought more 360 games than any other console I ever owned. But the direction that gaming is going in seems to be more of the stuff I hate. It's not just CoD... I pretty much hate all first-person shooters because they all feel the same to me.

And I like a lot of the games you listed, but they also have problems. Last of Us was a true benchmark in storytelling, but its repetitive gameplay had me feeling like I was playing Dragon's Lair at times. Fantastic story that constantly killed my immersion when I died ten times because I didn't see the exit in a random dark corner. And I'm not picking on Last of Us exclusively, that's a huge problem with third-person action games these days. Walk ten feet, die. Walk ten feet, die. Walk ten feet, get by, collect ammo, walk ten feet, die, repeat.

And the other games, again, games I like, have problems like shipping totally broken and you have to wait for a patch. Or dungeons that just repeat themselves. Or glitch at the final boss and you're never able to beat it (fucking Skyrim). There's a lot of cost and corner-cutting going on in gaming today and that's the assembly line mentality of the big publishers. It's just not a trend I like and it's typically not something you see from Nintendo.

But you're right, Nintendo is the only one producing games for their consoles and it's why if you want to play the big games, you can't just have a Nintendo console... but I also can't see myself not having a Nintendo console and it's why I didn't hesitate to buy one before a PS4 or XBO because I knew I was going to get really great games that were unlike anything on the main systems.

And this year's E3 has me worried about what I'm going to get on the main systems too. I don't want to play Assassin's Creed with three people, I just want to play Assassin's Creed... the seventh since 2007, BTW. Same with Fable. Fable is a game I like playing alone, I don't want to play with three other people. I just remember all the wildly different games I used to play on the SNES and Genesis and I can't help but wonder what the hell happened to that? We have these immensely powerful consoles that we couldn't have dreamed of back in the 16-bit days, and we're using them to crank out the same games over and over, minus a handful of truly great games each year, which is typically the same line of attack hurled at Nintendo.

• Like 1

Nintendo singlehandedly won me over with that press conference. I'm still a little iffy about the skylanders shit they're pulling with Brawl, but I'm guessing it won't affect me in the slightest if I'm just playing the game.

They just announced game after game after game, and not just games for bulk, but games that I'd honestly want to go and buy and play, even that team based ink game. When the big question looming over the Wii U is "Will Nintendo drop support?", having a ton of games in the pipeline is a great way to ease any concerns.

It makes me wonder if they're planning something MOTHER related to announce soon, they joked about Star Fox and MOTHER 3 before Sakuri did that video in front of a blurred out Star Fox-esque game, and Ness hasn't been confirmed in Smash U yet, so maybe they're going to link both together in an announcement.

So yeah, I've just ordered a Wii U with Mario Kart on Amazon so it might get here by the weekend. That's how you do a conference.

If they are bringing Mother 3 stateside, I imagine it'll be on the 3DS. Or I suppose it could be on the GBA Virtual Console on the Wii U. Probably not too far fetched since they teased it in the video and Earthbound was a solid hit on the Wii U.

From everything I've read, owning a PS Vita without a PS4 seems kinda pointless moving forward. It's probably what they're aiming for though.

found a list of all e sony product showings, on floor and not, with consoles for it.

E3 Press Conference:

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - PS4

Bloodborne - PS4

InFamous: First Light - PS4

Ratchet & Clank - PS4

LittleBigPlanet 3 - PS4

Let It Die - PS4

Grim Fandango - PS4 / Vita

Entwined - PS4 / PS3 / Vita

No Man's Sky - PS4

Abzu - PS4

Magicka 2 - PS4